Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 9,612 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have an internship offer in Jacksonville for this summer. I am not familiar with the area at all. My employer is located in Downtown on Water Street by St Johns river. I am looking for a furnished place to stay just for the summer. What are the best/safe neighborhoods and places I could stay that are affordable for a college student? It would be great if I could walk to work. Otherwise, I don't mind commuting as long as it's reasonable.

Are there any local resources with places for rent listed?

Thank you very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Well, what's your budget?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
affordable and furnished might be tricky. Best thing would be if you can find a student to sublease from over the summer.

Areas to look are in Riverside, San Marco or downtown itself though I'm guessing your options are more limited in downtown. There's a cheap condo complex downtown called "citiplace" (or something like that) at 311 Ashley St which I've seen appear on airbnb and other rental listings. But it's not at all the nicest place to be. Definitely would jump all over a Riverside room if there's a sublease available.

Aside from that you'll find a plethora of stuff on the Southside all the way out to the Beaches. That's where the majority of students are located but would not put you very close to work.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,165,983 times
Extended stay or hostel, maybe.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
I don't have a clue....

But perhaps local schools - like UNF or FSCJ - offer campus housing to non-students in the summer. Might be worth a couple of phone calls on your part to find out. Robyn

Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Sunshine hasn't been back in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't have a clue....

But perhaps local schools - like UNF or FSCJ - offer campus housing to non-students in the summer. Might be worth a couple of phone calls on your part to find out. Robyn
FSCJ doesn't have campus housing at all, sadly. I'm sure UNF has some open dorms but doubtful that they are available for non-students or other summer program participants. If the OP is willing to live out by UNF anyway then I'm sure s(he) can find a sublease from another student.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I didn't receive any updates from this website, so I have been thinking that this thread was empty.

I've been looking at Extended Stay America. There are several locations, but I'm looking at 2 in particular because of the price points. There's Salisbury Rd Southpoint and Lenoir Avenue East. Would you recommend one over the other based on location? If you think any of the other locations are better, please let me know.

I'm a college student... so affordability is important, but I don't want to stay in a dump. I searched airbnb, but many places were far more expensive. I don't mind a 10-12 minute drive from the city center.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Both of the places you mention got pretty bad reviews on Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor. I'd keep looking. Seems like a lot of these types of places attract mostly "low lifes" (not college students). Perhaps you can find a decent extended stay place with decent rates closer to the Mayo Clinic (I suspect Mayo Clinic attracts a higher class of "extended stay customers"). If anything appeals to you - check directly with a place for "long term rates" that might not be advertised.

Note that if you plan to be down here before the summer - you can check the "sublease" stuff on the bulletin boards at UNF (perhaps they're on line too). Also - and this is perhaps a long shot - you might become a student at UNF over the summer - even just for one course - to get access to student housing. Or you might look at a place like this:

http://www.theflatsatkernan.com/Apar...5Bid%5D/83017/ (off campus student housing)

FWIW - like projectmaximus said - most of the students here (at UNF - JU - the main campus of FSCJ - Florida Coastal School of Law) aren't near downtown. So you'll probably have to cast your net wider to get decent housing that works for students.

Note that you can change your settings to get email notifications of new messages here. Robyn

P.S. I once put up a kitchen installer in an extended stay place near Baymeadows & I-95. He called his first night - said it was awful (and he wasn't exactly looking for a "Four Seasons" experience). We moved him to a smaller but much nicer place out here at the Beaches. Unfortunately for you - summer is high season out here at the Beaches = probably not affordable.

Last edited by Robyn55; 03-24-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Thank you!! I'll definitely look into the student housing. Where are the bulletin boards at UNF? Is there a website or would that be something on campus?

Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM

Try contacting UNF or JU to see if they'll put you in touch with students who are looking for a sublessee (or subletter?).

Also check craigslist. CL can be sketchy for a lot of things, but I would think for this it's pretty legit. Again look for something in Riverside. That would be my first choice, followed by San Marco, and then around the St Johns Town Center (where you'll probably find the most options because of students)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: