Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:07 PM

30 posts, read 45,042 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call it upscale at all but at the beaches TacoLu makes a good margarita, the Blind Rabbit makes a number of handcrafted whiskey cocktails and ocean 60 has a good ladies night. I love One Oceans bar at Azure beautiful!

In San Marco try Grape n Grain, Mathews, Taverna and Orsay.

At Town Center I think Moxie is the only local spot.

Last edited by mrsspike; 03-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsspike View Post
At Town Center I think Moxie is the only local spot.
Ovinte as well.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
I went to Ovinte last night.

You gotta love a place trying to be sophisticated and exclusive when the patio overlooks a Wendy's, TigerDirect.com, and is 4 feet from a bus stop (hello exhaust!). They're trying hard to shake their ultra suburban location, but pretty much fail.

Thankfully, the co-owner is working towards a Downtown venue.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I went to Ovinte last night.

You gotta love a place trying to be sophisticated and exclusive when the patio overlooks a Wendy's, TigerDirect.com, and is 4 feet from a bus stop (hello exhaust!). They're trying hard to shake their ultra suburban location, but pretty much fail.

Thankfully, the co-owner is working towards a Downtown venue.
Well - if you're looking for relatively upscale "bars with views" - especially ones with outside patios - it's hard to beat places like the TPC and the bar at One Ocean (there are probably more - but those are the 2 that pop into my mind). Most places here in the metro area have at best mediocre views - or no views at all. E.g., I happen to like Black Sheep - but certainly not for the view (and not for drinking either - my husband and I don't care to drive 40-45 minutes to get home after we've had a couple of drinks).

Not that a view in a bar necessarily matters (the bar at the late Morton's downtown had a decent urban vibe to it - but no view at all). But you'd think that since we're so surrounded by water - there would be more/better places with water views.

In any event - what's *your* favorite upscale bar with a view here? I'm kind of partial to the TPC - because it's really close to home. It has a water/golf view (the 18th fairway on the Stadium course). It also has a "happy hour" which includes "5 for $5 appetizers". First Coast Grill and Island Grill at JAX Beach had bar seating with nice views too - but they - alas - are long gone now. There were also a couple of not so upscale drinking places in areas like the Landing (a now defunct micro brewery whose name I can't recall - and the Twisted Sister - but they're gone too and they were far from upscale IMO.

BTW - I don't know how other people define an "upscale bar". My definition is a bar - where - when you order a gin and tonic - you can get a bottle of tonic water - not tonic only out of a soda gun. Using my definition - there are hardly any upscale bars in this metro area. Robyn

Old 03-23-2014, 03:44 PM

51 posts, read 108,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
BTW - I don't know how other people define an "upscale bar".
My ideal is more lounge than bar: sofas, not noisy, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions Robyn (I moved TPC Sawgrass way up on my to-visit list) and others.

Since I started this thread I went to Ocean 60. It has a nice, upscale bar, but it's not a lounge (they have some outdoor seating though). Their brussels sprouts app makes one of my least-liked vegetables taste good and is big enough to be an entree. The Bellini martini was delicious, and martinis are half priced at daily happy hours and ladies night. I'd go again. I also popped next door to One Ocean to take a look. There's a lobby bar but the special one has a view of the ocean next to the restaurant at back. Sofas, roomy, upscale: I'd take a date when it was light out for the view, or at dusk.

Last edited by Greg7; 03-23-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 05:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
TPC is going to be tables outside with umbrellas (tables inside too). No sofas. The only place I can recall with sofa style outside patio stuff is One Ocean. Maybe Moxie upstairs too (can't remember). You might take a look at the possible places on Google Images. See if they look like what you're interested in. Robyn

Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM

51 posts, read 108,727 times
I few bars I've been to lately that I recommend:
  • Capital Grille. 8/10. Expensive and upscale.
  • Ocean 60. 7.5. They have a daily happy hour, with only drink specials.
  • Orsay. 7. Their daily happy hour has food and drink specials.
  • Bahama Breeze. 7. Not as upscale a restaurant as the others on this list, but I liked the bar and its food and drinks. Happy hour has food and drink specials.
  • III Forks. 6. It's a bit loud during the after-work peak times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville