Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Not what I wanted to read. I just installed their 50mps modem/router here in NEFL. Their technology is solid. I guess it's only when you have to interact with their people. Still not good PR.

Comcast named America's worst company in annual Consumerist poll | The Verge
Who cares if it's "America's worst company" if your service is . We've always had Comcast for TV since we moved here in 1995. Then we switched from AT&T DSL to Comcast internet because of DSL issues. And we cut the plug on our AT&T land line perhaps a year or two ago and went with the Comcast digital phone stuff. We have had exactly zero problems. Wish the prices were better - but I don't think there are many/any good cheap easy connectivity solutions these days.

My only tip when it comes to Comcast is when you need new equipment - order it on the phone for home mail delivery. You'll get new stuff. The latest and greatest if that's what you're looking for and you specify the exact equipment you're looking for. Whereas if you go to the local Comcast place - or have a tech guy show up - your equipment will always be used and 2-3 generations old with lots of sticky fingerprints on it. Then when you get the stuff by mail - return the old stuff you have to a local office (or by mail). Last couple of times I ordered new Comcast TV stuff - well it even comes with HDMI cables - a pleasant surprise.

FWIW - there isn't Comcast anything I can't install myself (and I'm a close to 70 year old woman ). DIY installations are a piece of cake today IMO. OTOH - my house is wired up with the physical connections I need all over the place. The only semi-problem I've had recently is putting a new internet TV in the MBR very far away from the main Comcast modem (opposite end of the house) and having to deal with a weak signal. No big deal problems - but will probably have to do some "tweaking". Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Overall, I'm pleased with the service I get with them. But, I'm about to have to call for tech support on my digital cable TV reception. I'm not looking forward to this one, at all. :/
What's your problem with the TV reception? When we first built our house - Comcast (or perhaps its predecessor) put a signal booster box on the line(s) where the wires entered our house (on the inside). Perhaps a solution for your problem. Robyn

Old 04-11-2014, 06:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What's your problem with the TV reception? When we first built our house - Comcast (or perhaps its predecessor) put a signal booster box on the line(s) where the wires entered our house (on the inside). Perhaps a solution for your problem. Robyn
We have several channels that will, all of a sudden, start pixelating. And it's pretty much the same ones all the time. It's the HD versions of Science Channel and Disney Jr, to name a couple. I can quickly check others and have none of that experience. I don't think that's a cabling issue.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
We have several channels that will, all of a sudden, start pixelating. And it's pretty much the same ones all the time. It's the HD versions of Science Channel and Disney Jr, to name a couple. I can quickly check others and have none of that experience. I don't think that's a cabling issue.
We used to have some pixelation issues on some HD stations too from time to time. But haven't had any for perhaps a couple of years. My understanding is it's caused by weak signals. Either from the broadcaster - Comcast - or equipment in your house. No one can do anything about the first. If it's the second - Comcast can install an amplifier in your house (or perhaps upgrade the equipment in your area - but a service call won't accomplish that). If it's the third - perhaps some new converter boxes are in order. What kind of boxes are you using in your house? How old are they? Robyn

Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
I'm using an M-card inside my TiVo boxes. They are issued by Comcast.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm using an M-card inside my TiVo boxes. They are issued by Comcast.
I used to have some cable cards for a couple of cable card TVs. I think that perhaps they're similar to what's in a TIVO box. And Comcast wasn't very good with them to start with.

And now - isn't that technology somewhat out of date/becoming out of date today? Being replaced by streaming TV sources? A TIVO box is pretty much DVR technology - and that is pretty much a thing of the past now - yes? I still have one DVR - but only record one program on it all year - Mad Men. And - after this season - I'll probably go 100% to streaming video/Comcast On Demand. In all honesty - I'm not why I still have the one DVR - except inertia. Robyn

Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Quote:
I used to have some cable cards for a couple of cable card TVs. I think that perhaps they're similar to what's in a TIVO box. And Comcast wasn't very good with them to start with.

And now - isn't that technology somewhat out of date/becoming out of date today? Being replaced by streaming TV sources? A TIVO box is pretty much DVR technology - and that is pretty much a thing of the past now - yes? I still have one DVR - but only record one program on it all year - Mad Men. And - after this season - I'll probably go 100% to streaming video/Comcast On Demand. In all honesty - I'm not why I still have the one DVR - except inertia. Robyn
I am sure I am in the minority on this one. I don't watch or stream American movies because for the most part they are a waste of time. They are all about insipid reality shows or "shoot 'em up, bang, bang and the bad guy is dead."

Having said that I made the decision a long time ago not to put all my eggs in the Comcast basket regardless of the bundling factor. And wasn't I right! I have watched foreign HD shows on both Directv and Comcast and I find the quality of the Directv picture so much superior. I have no explanation for this.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Default O

Is DirectTV an outdoor dish kind of thing? I recall so - but perhaps I'm wrong. On our part - outdoor dish stuff won't work unless we take down a whole lot of big trees (would cost us a bundle in terms of county permits and replanting).

BTW - I pretty much agree with you about content. The available technology is way better than the available content.

FWIW - most of our streaming is done off Amazon today. Mostly movies to put my husband to sleep - I'm asleep instantly when my head hits the pillow . We each had an Amazon prime account before we had internet TVs - so the Amazon thing was kind of a no-brainer for us. OTOH - I'm PO'd that the deal Amazon made with Food Network and similar last year just went "poof". If I want free Food Network and similar content - I have to use Comcast now.

I have everything up and working well now. Except for the wireless connection on the MBR TV. I only get 2-3 bars of wifi reception from the modem at the other end of the house there - and will probably need some kind of signal booster. Robyn

Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 AM

9,384 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Who cares if it's "America's worst company" if your service is
Just spend an hour calling into their customer service and I think you'd have a very different view. Yes, everything is great when it's working well but heaven help you if anything goes wrong. We are now dealing with non-functioning DVR services and it's been an absolute nightmare to get a hold of anyone in that godforsaken company who knows how to fix the issue or, really, even finding someone willing to help you and not transfer you around a half dozen times before you have to raise your voice, throw a few choice curse words at them so they know you're serious. It's a guaranteed bad mood when calling into them, I think that speaks volumes.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM

5,172 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just spend an hour calling into their customer service and I think you'd have a very different view. Yes, everything is great when it's working well but heaven help you if anything goes wrong. We are now dealing with non-functioning DVR services and it's been an absolute nightmare to get a hold of anyone in that godforsaken company who knows how to fix the issue or, really, even finding someone willing to help you and not transfer you around a half dozen times before you have to raise your voice, throw a few choice curse words at them so they know you're serious. It's a guaranteed bad mood when calling into them, I think that speaks volumes.

We switched to the triple play last year and it was a HORRIBLE experience......you could not imagine the runaround we received. Our only saving grace was we have an office right down the street and everything was taken care of with a real person. Customer service over the phone was virtually non existent. If we had any problems or questions we just took a ride to the office.......it was always a much more pleasant experience, even though we might have to back and fourth a bit.

Once we got past the initial problems and dealt with the office we were fine and have not had a problem since.

One thing we learned is the guys doing the installs are not really Comcast employees even though they are wearing uniforms and representing themselves as Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville