Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

Hi, As you can see I am an animal lover but I keep my place real clean and I am a very responsible pet owner. Although I do not do animal rescue anymore (I did some when I lived in Savannah) hence the 3 dogs and 5 cats! They have become my family. I am 60 live alone and could not have children so I guess that is why I have as many pets as I do. One of the dogs is a Black and Tan Coonhound and is 120lbs. I have one poodle/spaniel mix 40 lbs and one Pomeranian/many other breeds mix LOL She is 12 lbs. All dogs are house broken. Cats live in doors and are all litter trained and very clean all short hair. I am thinking of moving to the Jacksonville area as soon as I finish my Masters degree in Social Work. I am a late career changer and social work is one of the professions that is seeing growth. It is also one profession that actually values life experience and has less age discrimination then most other professions and certain less than a University administrator which I have been for 20 years. So with all of that information does anyone know if there are actually houses with backyards and fences in good neighborhoods that would allow dogs of this type? Is there a rural area around Jacksonville like farm houses etc. that are rentable? Is Jacksonville a dog friendly town? Any advice or information you can give me about neighborhoods, renting with animals, places in decent neighborhoods that employ social workers ( I would work in a less decent neighborhood if I was in my 20s but at this age I don't run as fast as I used to!) I would love to hear from you. And actually if you just live there and have dogs and cats you can write me too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
I don't know about Duval County - but St. Johns County has a limit of 5 pets in a residential neighborhood. Many HOAs and condos have lower limits. I think you'll find it impossible to rent anything in a residential neighborhood with the number of pets you have. Robyn

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,061 times
Just wanted to jump onto this thread rather than start a new one as my question is similar. Robyn, you stated that it would be difficult to find anything to rent with that number of pets, but what is the usual limit? We have a Labrador and 2 cats, would we find it difficult to find a house or apartment to rent with 3 pets?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Based on what I've read here - many/most landlords don't want to rent to anyone with pets. Period. You'll just have to look around for a landlord who's willing to accept yours. Robyn

Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Based on what I've read here - many/most landlords don't want to rent to anyone with pets. Period. You'll just have to look around for a landlord who's willing to accept yours. Robyn
Having experience renting in a few different areas around town, I would agree with this. We were able to find a "guy" willing to rent his house to us after we wrote in some specifics regarding our 2 pound cat, pretty ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM

88 posts, read 320,176 times
A lot of rental listings say they will only allow small dogs and I have seen a few that specifically say "no cats". We may just end up buying because of this issue. Our dog is large, but it's a golden retriever... and he has to be one of the friendliest dogs you could ever meet. He's also been through advanced obedience training and is very well behaved. I don't think it's right to discriminate against large dogs, but it is what it is. As someone who has been a landlord for many years, I do understand why landlords are reluctant to allow pets. But we are also animal lovers and have always allowed tenants to have pets. We just charge a pet deposit. Not once have we had to keep it.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch123 View Post
A lot of rental listings say they will only allow small dogs and I have seen a few that specifically say "no cats". We may just end up buying because of this issue. Our dog is large, but it's a golden retriever... and he has to be one of the friendliest dogs you could ever meet. He's also been through advanced obedience training and is very well behaved. I don't think it's right to discriminate against large dogs, but it is what it is. As someone who has been a landlord for many years, I do understand why landlords are reluctant to allow pets. But we are also animal lovers and have always allowed tenants to have pets. We just charge a pet deposit. Not once have we had to keep it.
A landlord has a right to discriminate against any animals (and against certain people in some cases - see the Mrs. Murphy exemption to the Fair Housing law). And is very reasonable in doing so in terms of any dogs because of the Florida dog bite laws (a dog doesn't get one "free bite" in Florida and landlords have been held liable for dog bites inflicted by their tenants' dogs in various cases).

Also - there is a "leash law" in SJC (don't know about Duval County) for both dogs and cats. So a landlord would have to put in something like an electric fence or similar to contain pets if a pet owner wanted a pet to roam around the yard off leash. In today's rental market (definitely a "sellers' market") - what landlord needs the aggravation of dealing with tenants with pets?

FWIW - my husband has been bitten twice by these "cute obedient dogs". And sustained medical bills in excess of $300 both times. And the owners of these "cute obedient dogs" told us to fu** off when we asked them to pay the medical bills. IMO - people can take their dogs and shove them. Robyn

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,061 times
Thanks everyone for the info. I had a feeling this would be the case. I completely understand why many landlords do not want the hassle of allowing pets.

We are thinking of moving to the Jax area from the UK and want to bring our pets with us. We may just have to leave them in the UK with family until we can buy a house if we can't find rental accommodation that will accept them.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM

232 posts, read 573,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banburygirl View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I had a feeling this would be the case. I completely understand why many landlords do not want the hassle of allowing pets.

We are thinking of moving to the Jax area from the UK and want to bring our pets with us. We may just have to leave them in the UK with family until we can buy a house if we can't find rental accommodation that will accept them.
There are plenty of places that will rent to you. I'd recommend checking craigslist or talk to a realtor about finding you a property that allows pets. You will probably have to pay a little more (either in higher rent or 'pet fees' up front) or the place may not be quite as nice as you would like, but there are definitely properties out there that rent to folks with 2 cats and a dog.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 PM

190 posts, read 315,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
but there are definitely properties out there that rent to folks with 2 cats and a dog.
Two cats and a dog maybe she could find a rental, but the OP said five cats and three dogs.
She might even need a kennel license for that many animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: