Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,806 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently considering a move from Miami to Jax and would like to get some feedback on how different the social life is in the two cities from some people who has lived in both places.

My main reason for considering this move is to live in a place that is more affordable. I earn a decent salary and cannot afford the type of housing in the location I want to live in Miami. I also want to live in a place that is more anglo.

However, the things I love about Miami are the nightlife, the number of beautiful single women, and the fact that there is always something going on. I'm also very socially liberal/libertarian and am concerned I won't fit in because I've heard Jax is very socially conservative.

For anyone who has lived in both places, how bad will my social life suffer making this move? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:21 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Jacksonville salaries vs South Florida aren't even close. There's a reason why the cost of living is lower in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville is hardcore religious right. There may be a few beautiful single women in church hunting "Godly" men to marry. Use your imagination to anticipate how much fun you'll have with them .

Nightlife? I'm laughing.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:39 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraTac View Post
However, the things I love about Miami are the nightlife, the number of beautiful single women, and the fact that there is always something going on. I'm also very socially liberal/libertarian and am concerned I won't fit in because I've heard Jax is very socially conservative.
Yeah, these are all going to be much worse than Miami. Not that Jax is devoid of beautiful women, nightlife, or liberals, but it's more of an effort (in some cases much more) to find these things. If you are able to enjoy the much smaller/lesser things that Jax has to offer, then it could certainly be worth the cost savings. But not if youre gonna be miserable, which it sounds like could be a real possibility.

FWIW, a sick bachelor pad in a luxury highrise on the water should be half the price it is in Miami.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
My honest opinion is that you'd hate it here. I can't imagine living here as a young, single male in a new city with few friends. If I had to do it I'd focus on living probably near the Beaches (Atlantic/Neptune/Jax Beach) and try and live it up there as much as I could.

Having just returned from Miami that's essentially an ideal spot for you if the things you listed are important. You may be forced to live in something smaller and less desirable, but it's MIAMI!!!!! Beautiful women everywhere, great nightlife, scenery, things to do, different cultures, etc. You *can* find those things here but they are much fewer and much farther between.

My advice would be to find creative ways to live on less there in Miami. Live further away from the beach, shop at Costco for food, drink beer not liquor, get a second job on the side, etc. etc.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Jax will be pretty boring. I feel pretty torn because there is a lot that I like about Miami, which I mentioned above, but a lot that I don't like as well. And ultimately I want to be in a place where I can raise kids and have a house with a yard, etc in a few years. That's not too easy to come by down here.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
And ultimately I want to be in a place where I can raise kids and have a house with a yard, etc in a few years.
Come on up in a few years then. It's not like we're going anywhere lol. And the things you asked about will be slightly improved by that time.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,047 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Jax will be pretty boring. I feel pretty torn because there is a lot that I like about Miami, which I mentioned above, but a lot that I don't like as well. And ultimately I want to be in a place where I can raise kids and have a house with a yard, etc in a few years. That's not too easy to come by down here.
Why not just live in Broward or PBC? Both places are more anglo, and you'd still be close enough to Miami to venture to there once in a while.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,604 times
It would be an adjustment. You would be moving from a metro area of 6 million to one of 1.5 million. Jacksonville is not an "international city" like Miami and as you already know not a Latin city. You will have the ability to find more affordable housing, but as others have pointed out wages are generally lower, if you could make Miami money and have Jacksonville costs that would be good. It is not as congested as South Florida, you get more seasons, but never hard core winter.

Besides lots of hot single ladies what else do you like to do? Some things are more accessible. You know your life better than anyone else. Anywhere is what you make it, there are plenty of people that move from Miami to Jacksonville and find they like it, others who hate it. I have a good friend who grew up in Miami and would never move back, he hates to go visit it mother because of all the traffic, congestion and Latin attitude( he is Cuban BTW... not hating on Hispanics here). If you come here and start b****ing and complaining how its so much better in Miami... no one want to hear that and it would make it hard to find friends

Yeah Jacksonville is overall more culturally conservative, but there are plenty of crazy freaky people too if that's what you want. My friends from college who were from Miami said once Jacksonville gets more people it will be crazier than Miami

You did not mention if you are originally from Miami or someplace else, that would be a factor as well.

Maybe come to Jacksonville for a visit see if it is someplace you would like.

Last edited by jwolfer; 10-19-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Why not just live in Broward or PBC? Both places are more anglo, and you'd still be close enough to Miami to venture to there once in a while.
Good idea.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM

Thank you all again for the responses. Someone asked what I like to do. I'm actually a pretty chill person who likes to have a wild night here or there, and I tend to date a lot and don't see myself settling down with one person for a few more years. But a lot of nights if I go out I'll just go to dinner or catch a movie, and I like going to the beach on the weekends. I also try to go see some live music once in awhile. I also love getting out into nature quite a bit and try to take trips up to TN/NC a couple times a year to do some hiking/rafting etc. in the mountains. I don't want to give the impression I only like to party.

I've also looked into Palm Beach County, Broward, Tampa, and Orlando. So far I haven't found a job that makes sense for me in any of those places. I work in a profession where its not particularly easy to make a geographic move once you start getting established in one place. That's one of the reasons I'm starting to look at some calmer places now rather than waiting. I'm 32 now, and I know I will probably absolutely hate Miami when I'm older since I don't particularly like it here now.

Let me ask this. In a lot of cities there is a "hipster" type part of town, and I'm generally drawn to those areas because of the good bars/restaurants there. In Miami it is the Wynwood/Midtown area. Does this exist in Jacksonville?

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville