Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,622,412 times

Advertisements

Jax (and St Augsutine) a candidate for ATT's "Gigapower" 1 gig service......

AT&T Eyes 100 U.S. Cities and Municipalities for Its Ultra-Fast Fiber Network - Seeking Alpha

http://www.att.com/att/gigapowercities/

Hope they hit Julington Creek Plantation said Tom selfishly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 AM

199 posts, read 467,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Jax (and St Augsutine) a candidate for ATT's "Gigapower" 1 gig service......

AT&T Eyes 100 U.S. Cities and Municipalities for Its Ultra-Fast Fiber Network - Seeking Alpha

Future Plans & Current Locations for AT&T U-verse with GigaPower

Hope they hit Julington Creek Plantation said Tom selfishly.
I saw this yesterday as well. Very exciting for us technology folks. Somehow though, when they say Jacksonville, I believe they really mean the city of Jacksonville. How far out from the city center have they run this stuff in the past?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 AM

9,337 posts, read 8,260,113 times
I'm no techie but assume this would be far faster than Comcast?

After more run around with Comcast yesterday I'd be willing to make the switch, assuming this would also go into Saint Johns.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,622,412 times
Gigabit would be WAY faster than Comcast.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 AM

58 posts, read 170,555 times
I hope Jacksonville and St. Johns County officials actively engage with AT&T to make this happen. Would be a great selling point for the region, as I'm sure it already is for Austin.

As far as coverage area, I would guess anyplace in the Jax area that has Uverse service would be in line to get gigabit service if it comes here. AT&T already spent zillions on the Uverse infrastructure, which I assume would be the backbone for the gigabit service.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,430,011 times
I am no techie. But - to make this work - someone has to put fiber in the ground. An extremely expensive undertaking. And it seems that AT&T won't be the party paying for the fiber:

AT&T’s plan for gigabit Internet in Houston has big caveats - TechBlog

So who's going to pay for all this infrastructure? The City of Jacksonville? St. Johns County? HOAs or CDDs that would have to rip up and repair miles of roads and property adjacent to roads? Laughable notions. Your best bet in terms of getting this anywhere is by moving into a new (probably higher end) community where the developer and AT&T can cut a deal in terms of putting the fiber in before the roads are completed.

We already have fiber in our HOA. It was installed by Mediaone when the community was built. And is now owned and operated by Comcast. I don't know what its maximum through-put is. But - to date - we haven't had any problems getting various speeds we're promised from Comcast from time to time. Note that we have waited for years for AT&T to upgrade us to UVerse here. And we are still holding our breaths.

FWIW - even if speed X is coming to your house - there are lots of things in your house that that can slow things down. Your wiring - your modem/router - repeaters/amplifiers and the like if you use them - etc. Robyn

Old 06-06-2014, 02:50 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,153,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I am no techie. But - to make this work - someone has to put fiber in the ground. An extremely expensive undertaking. And it seems that AT&T won't be the party paying for the fiber:

So who's going to pay for all this infrastructure? The City of Jacksonville? St. Johns County? HOAs or CDDs that would have to rip up and repair miles of roads and property adjacent to roads? Laughable notions. Your best bet in terms of getting this anywhere is by moving into a new (probably higher end) community where the developer and AT&T can cut a deal in terms of putting the fiber in before the roads are completed.

We already have fiber in our HOA. It was installed by Mediaone when the community was built. And is now owned and operated by Comcast. I don't know what its maximum through-put is. But - to date - we haven't had any problems getting various speeds we're promised from Comcast from time to time. Note that we have waited for years for AT&T to upgrade us to UVerse here. And we are still holding our breaths.

FWIW - even if speed X is coming to your house - there are lots of things in your house that that can slow things down. Your wiring - your modem/router - repeaters/amplifiers and the like if you use them - etc. Robyn
I am a techie and this would be EPIC!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM

199 posts, read 467,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

They can do a lot of running the underground infrastructure without digging up miles and miles of roads. Checkout the Vermeer directional drilling machines. Also, most new installations are not direct bury cable. Typically they run an inner-duct and then pull the cable through the inner-duct. This means that they could in theory, run new fiber in that existing inner-duct.

I wonder how much of AT&T's Uverse infrastructure is already supported by fiber optics? Remember, just because it doesn't come into your house now(the last mile), doesn't mean that it's not already to the hub around the corner. Drive around and you may notice the white pipes with orange caps sticking up out of the ground. You will notice the warning, "Buried Fiber Optic Cable".

When I last worked with fiber optics, 10+ years ago, we were using it to support our 10 gigabit backbone between our core routers. The maximum through-put of fiber is really just a matter of the hardware, not so much the medium.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,430,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
They can do a lot of running the underground infrastructure without digging up miles and miles of roads. Checkout the Vermeer directional drilling machines. Also, most new installations are not direct bury cable. Typically they run an inner-duct and then pull the cable through the inner-duct. This means that they could in theory, run new fiber in that existing inner-duct.

I wonder how much of AT&T's Uverse infrastructure is already supported by fiber optics? Remember, just because it doesn't come into your house now(the last mile), doesn't mean that it's not already to the hub around the corner. Drive around and you may notice the white pipes with orange caps sticking up out of the ground. You will notice the warning, "Buried Fiber Optic Cable".

When I last worked with fiber optics, 10+ years ago, we were using it to support our 10 gigabit backbone between our core routers. The maximum through-put of fiber is really just a matter of the hardware, not so much the medium.
When I had the problems with AT&T that caused me to cancel - various higher level reps that I spoke with in other parts of the US said that UVerse was very far from universal in terms of the AT&T universe. The plans at first were very ambitious in terms of coverage - and then they were abbreviated a whole lot. There's a lot of discussion about this on various chat boards devoted to discussing these things - and you can look them up if you like. Note that if AT&T UVerse coverage was good - it would probably show you a map with detailed coverage on its website (like it does with its phone service). It doesn't.

I guess from what you're saying is that if you're in a neighborhood with UVerse internet - and the existing "pipes" can be used for new fiber - or already have fiber - installation won't be that big a deal. Still - it doesn't look like AT&T would pay even for that minimal kind of installation. I can tell you that there would be zero enthusiasm in my HOA to pay 10 cents for this. The mileage in other HOAs may vary.

For those of us with the old AT&T infrastructure - the old copper wire stuff - it would be a big deal. There is a UVerse locator on the AT&T website - and anyone interested in this should look up his/her address:

Check AT&T U-verse Availability - U-verse TV, Internet & Voice Coverage

When I flooded our phone system with Comcast voice - I disconnected our old AT&T copper connections. And they are history as far as I'm concerned.

We do have the buried fiber optic cable warning signs - but they pertain to the Comcast fiber. I don't know whether AT&T could have acquired the fiber here through a Mediaone acquisition when that company was for sale - but it didn't.

Just to give you the 5 cent history of things in my area. Mediaone was pretty much way ahead of its time in the mid-90's. When Comcast acquired Mediaone - it dumbed things down/didn't keep up. Like Mediaone supported networking back then. But - when Comcast bought Mediaone - it discontinued networking support. That's when we switched to AT&T DSL (this was probably in the early 2000's). It was state of the art here perhaps 12-14 years ago - but started to fall behind as Comcast became more consumer friendly and tech savvy. We are kind of loyal customers. But - when AT&T DSL got awful for a relatively long period of time here - we switched. That was maybe 5 years ago or so. We cut our last tie to AT&T when we switched to Comcast voice a few years ago. It would take a lot to get a customer like me to go back to AT&T today (I'm in the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it camp"). OTOH - I might try Google fiber on a whim if it were available .

BTW - seems to me that many younger people are more connected through phone networks and devices other than traditional internet connections and computers (in their various forms) these days. And that - increasingly - traditional internet connections are being used more for things like watching TV than traditional on-line stuff (and there are a surprising number of older users in the latter category). I got just about all of our TV stuff hooked up to the internet this winter. And it was kind of a gee whiz experience (unfortunately - the technology is more exciting than the content). Don't know where everything is headed. But - in general - the less taxpayers and similar have to pay for infrastructure - the more "legs" it will have IMO.

Do you know whether fiber networks have been installed as a matter of course in communities in the last decade or so? Robyn

Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,491,219 times
my in laws have it and love it. they do internet and TV throughit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville