Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 AM

245 posts, read 503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtSF View Post
Thanks for all of the great tips. This forum has the best participants, with tons of insight and experience. Right now, I'm leaning towards trying out DirectBuy. Discounts and I don't have to go travel far. Sounds like a win win.
Keep in mind that it's going to cost you in the neighborhood of $5000 just to join Direct Buy, so you'd need to buy a hell of a lot of furniture to recoup that..not worth it..

Consumer Reports wasn't impressed with Direct Buy http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...save/index.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
I would never belong to a "club" like that. Really bad advice to join anything like that.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfphaedrus View Post
Just an FYI, before anybody drives long distance or pays a fee to access a store don't under estimate how much furniture stores will negotiate on prices. I recently picked out almost 9k worth of furniture from Ashley and negotiated the price down to $4,200 including tax and delivery.
Ashley is made in China, some of it assembled offshore and some assembled here in the US. Some of it is not even real wood, and some of the wood is not of great quality. The production costs are very low.

Direct Buy is a total scam. You can find all of the same items and prices yourself if you are willing to take the time to do the research and ferret out the wholesalers and the places where the contractors buy their materials.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I shopped at Furnitureland South and had a wonderful experience. It was white glove delivery to me here in Virginia (I'm sure they would to Florida too). Saved us some money and they also have a different selection than you will find in the local stores. I went to the Thomasville Outlet when I was there - picked up some Thomasville end tables and lamps for a song - we put those in the back of the SUV. There were unique "floor sample" things there too. I felt it was worth the trip - and I will be going for another bedroom set when we finally get to JAX. :-)
Also I should mention that the deliver guys dropped my curio and one of the corners was dinged up - the store sent a repairman and you could not even tell when he was finished!

Kristin Grubb is a great design consultant there and has beat just about every price my friends have brought to her. I am getting ready to place a large order with her myself by phone because I have the style numbers and manufacturer info and she can price it without me going there which is nice! I know some clients have flown her to their homes for design work. She is that good. Her services are free when buying through Furnitureland South. Furnitureland South also has an outlet in the back of the campus that is worth a look! Rose Furniture used to be good too but went out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: