Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What's your definition of "riff raff"? And you're not telling me that all of Duval County is "riff raff" - are you? Robyn
He's simply saying that it isn't only white folks moving to SJC from Duval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 25,602 times
For those of you that say diversity is important, how are you defining diversity?

We recently moved from VA after my husband took a job in Jacksonville. We chose SJC because of the reputation of the school system, but I don't find the schools to be very diverse. Most of the highly rated schools here and in VA where we moved from do not seem diverse at all. According to SJCPS website, in the district 87% of the students are white and around 24% receive free or reduced lunches. I didn't look at the school breakdowns specifically. Also, if everyone is doing above average on the standardized tests and getting all As, is that diverse?

I think it is an interesting discussion. I struggle with the school ratings, diversity ect and what is best for our son. I feel like because our son loves learning and has involved parents that he would succeed no matter where we had moved. However, I guess I don't believe that 100% since I went with SJC anyway. The school stuff is a hard part of parenting.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I'm not terribly concerned with diversity or the definition. I'm simply wanting a safe place with teachers that care about a child progressing and making him or her hungry to acquire more knowledge.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Are there schools in the area that are a serious safety concern?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em922 View Post
For those of you that say diversity is important, how are you defining diversity?

We recently moved from VA after my husband took a job in Jacksonville. We chose SJC because of the reputation of the school system, but I don't find the schools to be very diverse. Most of the highly rated schools here and in VA where we moved from do not seem diverse at all. According to SJCPS website, in the district 87% of the students are white and around 24% receive free or reduced lunches. I didn't look at the school breakdowns specifically. Also, if everyone is doing above average on the standardized tests and getting all As, is that diverse?

I think it is an interesting discussion. I struggle with the school ratings, diversity ect and what is best for our son. I feel like because our son loves learning and has involved parents that he would succeed no matter where we had moved. However, I guess I don't believe that 100% since I went with SJC anyway. The school stuff is a hard part of parenting.
Do you want diversity? It's hard to tell from your post.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Too late for that as we are already here and settled in a school.
I just think it is interesting to see what people think when they talk about diversity as many people seem to have it on their wish list for schools. Ideally, diversity on all levels would be great. I know the issue seems to get pushed to the bottom of my list when it comes to finally choosing a school for other reasons like someone mentioned above-encouraging learning ect.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em922 View Post
Too late for that as we are already here and settled in a school.
I just think it is interesting to see what people think when they talk about diversity as many people seem to have it on their wish list for schools. Ideally, diversity on all levels would be great. I know the issue seems to get pushed to the bottom of my list when it comes to finally choosing a school for other reasons like someone mentioned above-encouraging learning ect.
It's ok, just come out and say it, you don't want diversity, we won't judge you!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
I'm not going get into a discussion with you on the defintion. I'll simply use a comment you've made in the past.

Just like when you say that you live in SJC and are not interested in getting involved with the "problems" of Duval County, others are not interested either. Substitute "problems" for "riff-raff" and you have your definition. Of course not all of Duval County is "problems"/"riff-raff". Its not an all or nothing proposition.
So anything that might be wrong with Duval County is "riff-raff"? I don't get it. We have poor people in SJC - ranging from poor black people in places like St. Augustine to Hispanic migrant farm workers out in the west.

FWIW - if Mayor Brown in JAX agrees to take over all the family problems I have to do deal with and deal with them properly - I'll take on the problems in JAX (they're probably easier ). Robyn

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
He's simply saying that it isn't only white folks moving to SJC from Duval.
Where I live - it's almost 100% white. Perhaps most black people can't afford to move here.

Like I've said before - it will be interesting when Hispanics from south and central Florida migrate to this neck of the woods. And they will - it's pretty much inevitable. Because they have very different cultural norms (not bad norms - just different ones IMO). Robyn

Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
It's ok, just come out and say it, you don't want diversity, we won't judge you!
Haha. Good thing my son's studying tonight included a portion on diversity. Maybe I learned something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville