Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 AM

63 posts, read 135,605 times

Advertisements

So I began this question but wanted to put it in its own thread and get some insight.

I have an area about 30X55 in the backyard. The covered lanai is 10X30 out of that area. My initial thought was to create a pool in the back and screen it. However, I like sun and heat and know the screen will deter that. Furthermore, cost of screen is over 20% of total cost of pool.

Therefore, my thought is to put a fence around the yard---starting from half of the house to the backyard (for safety and to keep others out). In addition, I would like to screen the 10x30 area of the covered lanai with sliding screens and then build a pool NOT screened in the back. We are on a pond so there are NO trees around or near the pool.

I would like insights as to pros and cons of doing it this way. And I would like to know if there are OTHER solutions to the cons. In other words, critters are a con. Well, is there another way to keep them out without a screen? Bugs are a con but are there other ways to keep them out or away? etc etc etc....

I know on this forum, screens often tend to be the consensus, however, when I look at this question posed elsewhere, MANY people say they would never do a pool with a screen due to aesthetics, or lack of warmth, cost, etc.

Also, how useful/unuseful would area without screen be for entertaining purposes as another room in the house?

My particular question is a pool with a screen or no screen regarding Nocatee---Willow Cove (being the type of land that it is), and Northeast Florida. Much of the information I have seen is regarding South Florida or other areas of Florida. And ESPECIALLY if someone who has a pool with no screen could comment, that would be fantastic (and vice versa). Real life advice would be VERY helpful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Screen it, keeps bugs and critters (and people) out. I'm not sure why you think the screen would keep sun or heat out as it doesnt at all. It's not nearly as noticable as you seem to think it is. I would also fence in the yard in addition. A pool is a horrible insurance incident waiting to happen.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 AM

93 posts, read 158,269 times
When we build a pool, we will not screen it. We have a great view out of the back of our house, and a screen detracts from that (yes, the screen is see through, but it still affects how you see the view). We plan to have a large screened lanai off of the house, then the pool unscreened. We will (of course) have a separate fence around the pool area, as well as a secure baby fence around the perimeter of the pool since we have young children.

As far as critters, I don't know if there's a whole lot you can do. We will probably build a fence that is solid at the bottom (concrete or stone -- more decorative), then more open (wrought iron or the like) on top. That *might* keep a few things from just crawling in, but I'm not counting on it. We'll do that type of fence because our neighborhood encourages them and because we think they're more attractive.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM

297 posts, read 573,299 times
I'm on a pond. I have a pool with a screen. The screen does NOT detract from the view. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I would NEVER have a pool here without a screen.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
I'm on a pond. I have a pool with a screen. The screen does NOT detract from the view. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I would NEVER have a pool here without a screen.
Hi KayT15. Which pond are you on? Is it the bugs, critters, sun? What is the biggest reason that makes you say that? Thank you

Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM

117 posts, read 246,122 times
Hi Tony...glad to see you back. You also have to remember we are in a swampy area...before all the construction that's all this was. The snakes, skinks, toads, insane mosquitos, love bugs, etc. are more than enough reason to screen in - plus alligators, especially being on the retention pond. The screen cuts down the UV rays coming through to the area which is a good thing for the skin! When it's hot here, it is certainly hot. The screen will make it tolerable in the sun.
Have you decided on a pool contractor?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM

190 posts, read 315,774 times
I am considering installing a pool behind my house between the back patio and my dock. I wouldn't even think of not putting a screened enclosure around it to keep the bugs and other critters out.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM

196 posts, read 427,561 times
I would definitely screen my pool in - I use to think they looked funny, but now I am more into practical than aesthetics, and it just makes SO much sense to screen in your pool! Honestly, you notice the screen from the OUTSIDE, but when you are inside the screen area, you really hardly even notice that is is there! IF, I had an amazing view like Jessica, I might perhaps think differently as a screen does break up a view, but if you aren't looking out onto Guana Reserve, I would screen it in!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Wow, I guess that begs the question, Where does Jessica live? We are on lot 249 in Willow Cove which is on the pond towards the back of the sub.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM

297 posts, read 573,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybahu View Post
Hi KayT15. Which pond are you on? Is it the bugs, critters, sun? What is the biggest reason that makes you say that? Thank you
I'm in Eagle Harbor in Clay County, but the bugs and critters are the same all over the Jax area. There are palmetto bugs (disgusting cockroaches), spiders, dragonflies (I hate those things), wasps, love bugs, mosquitos, gnats, ants, no-see-ums, and many, many other bugs I can't identify.

I've seen a snake right outside our lanai, and I was soooo glad there was a screen between it and me.

I've never seen an alligator in the pond, but the neighbor on the other side of the pond claims he has.

We also have frogs, toads, and lizards. The little green anole lizards get in the lanai, but I don't mind because they eat the little bugs that get in. And I think they're cute. We've had a couple brown anoles in the lanai, and I will no longer tolerate them. They are not cute when they give you "the neck."

You can see pictures here:

Florida Lizards Guide - Florida eco traveler guide

I'm originally from the northeast. There are many, many more bugs and critters in the south. I highly recommend monthly or quarterly pest control in addition to termite treatment.

And as Lisa259 said, the screen offers some protection from the sun, but you can still get tan/sunburn through the screen. It just takes a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville