Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,128 times

Advertisements

Yes....I am one of many people that seek advise on relocating to Jacksonville. I have read many of the threads here, but none of them seem to address my specific questions. I am a 38 year old femaile looking for a diverse, middle to upper class area, with fairly new single family homes and a decent commute (15 - 30 min max) to the Jacksonville Naval Air Station, various amenities in the area (parks, fitness centers, restaurants, grocery, entertainment, etc), and pet friendly. I hope to live in a somewhat lively community, but not party central. I plan to rent for the first year, with a budget of $1300 or less per month or if I find something I really like, I will buy with a $250K budget. Schools are not an issue.

I seek a diverse community, but it seems that most of the information in these threads lead me to Riverside, Avondale and San Marco, however when I look at the demographics for those areas, they don't seem all that diverse. Am I missing something? There are other neighborhoods that have not been mentioned, such as Fairfax, Lakeshore and Murray Hill, and Mandarin, that I am curious about as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BJak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,585,079 times
Hi BJak - Welcome to CD. The JAX metro area - like many in the US (and not only areas in the south) has more than a fair amount of residential segregation. It's basically segregation by income - but winds up being segregation on the basis of race because white people tend to earn more than black people.

I'm not specifically familiar with Fairfax - Lakeshore - or Murry Hill. Mandarin is an ok suburban area where a large % of the metro area's very small Jewish community lives. Has more than its share of traffic IMO. But amenities like Whole Foods - the only one in the JAX metro area.

I don't know if you're black - another minority - or simply looking for diversity. Whenever I run into someone who's black and looking for the best place in the southeast - I always say Atlanta. It has the largest and most vibrant middle to upper middle to high income black population in the US IMO. OTOH - if you're talking about distance from the NAS - then Atlanta may not be an option.

FWIW - assuming you are as described - and black - I'd pick Mandarin as a place to live over a similarly close place like Ortega. Which in terms of many people is really old stuffy white southern people IMO. A lot of people in Riverside/Avondale/San Marco are like that too IMO. Since Mandarin is more Jewish - perhaps people are more tolerant - but I'm honestly not sure. FWIW - none of this may apply to younger people who live in these areas - but I'm older (in my late 60's). When we moved here - I got the definite impression that I - as a Jew - would be less than welcome at a country club like Timuquana (and one of the things I was looking for was a place to play golf).

Finally - assuming you're willing to drive somewhat longer to JAX NAS - take a look at the Beaches. I think it's by far the most open/younger thinking part of the metro area. Not a lot of old southern folk - or a bunch of people from elsewhere just looking for the best schools in the outer burbs.

BTW - I assure you there are many people here whose opinions will differ from mine. And I invite their rebuttals. That's what makes a ball game . Robyn

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,309,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJak View Post
Yes....I am one of many people that seek advise on relocating to Jacksonville. I have read many of the threads here, but none of them seem to address my specific questions. I am a 38 year old femaile looking for a diverse, middle to upper class area, with fairly new single family homes and a decent commute (15 - 30 min max) to the Jacksonville Naval Air Station, various amenities in the area (parks, fitness centers, restaurants, grocery, entertainment, etc), and pet friendly. I hope to live in a somewhat lively community, but not party central. I plan to rent for the first year, with a budget of $1300 or less per month or if I find something I really like, I will buy with a $250K budget. Schools are not an issue.

I seek a diverse community, but it seems that most of the information in these threads lead me to Riverside, Avondale and San Marco, however when I look at the demographics for those areas, they don't seem all that diverse. Am I missing something? There are other neighborhoods that have not been mentioned, such as Fairfax, Lakeshore and Murray Hill, and Mandarin, that I am curious about as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BJak
Of the areas you mentioned, Riverside and Murray Hill will be the most diverse.

Riverside is probably the best example of what you're looking for/ A $250k budget is ok for this area, depending on what you are looking for.

San Marco and Avondale are somewhat diverse, but both will probably over your budget.

Murray Hill is still a transitional neighborhood, so it's not strictly middle class & above...well neither in Riverside, but it's the hottest neighborhood in the city and is rapidly gentrifiying.

Lakeshore is relatively diverse, but doesn't fit your other criteria, and Mandarin isn't especially diverse and doesn't have the vibrancy you're looking for.

Fairfax may fit the bill too, for you.

If you consider Murray Hill, I'd also consider the Springfield historic district. It's a better known transitional neighborhood, trending upwards.

Here's info on the neighborhoods that have connected community organizations:

Riverside Avondale Preservation
Home and SPAR Council
www.murrayhillneighbors.com
MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community and Home

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Thanks to you both for such a quick response. I am in fact a black female and make a pretty decent living. I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and in an area that is not very diverse, (primarily Italian American) so the restaurant selections, groceries, etc are generally geared toward this group of people. I don't feel very comfortable in this area because I get the side eye, whispers and all out stares that I did not expect when moving to NYC. It is very baffling to me, when I am of the same economic level, well spoken, mannerable and always friendly to the people I meet. I like to surrond myself with people of different ethnicities, because it simply gives me a better perspective of everyone. I previously lived in a vastly diverse, middle to upper class neighborhood in Savannah, GA and I loved it. I hope to find the same in JAX. I start work there next month so I need to move quickly.

Thanks FSU for the links, I will be sure to check them out. Do either of you have recommendations for realtors in the area? I think Fairfax and Riverside are both intriguing to me. I will definitely check those areas. The beaches would be great, but I am not sure if I would want to commute from there on a daily basis. I currently commute an hour or more everyday. That got old very quickly :-). From reading other theads, Murray Hill is held hostage by train tracks and blaring horns (not sure how true this is). I haven't really looked into Sringfield much, but will check it out before I make any decisions. I am willing to increase my budget as needed to find the right location. I like stay at the lower end of my budget, but I am definitely flexible.

Let me know about Realtors in the area if you have any info. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM

190 posts, read 317,698 times
Here's my take on your search, as I am fairly new here myself and spent last fall
looking around the entire area of Jacksonville for a special place to buy my new home.

Fairfax is a slightly more upscale than Riverside, but it isn't as diverse either.
The train tracks and blaring train horns in the Murray Hill statement is very true.
Personally I couldn't see myself even considering living anywhere in Springfield,
not even the Historic Springfield area. I just don't like being surrounded by hoods.
You will undoubtedly find much more to rent in Riverside than in any other area
you have mentioned.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb1986 View Post
Here's my take on your search, as I am fairly new here myself and spent last fall
looking around the entire area of Jacksonville for a special place to buy my new home.

Fairfax is a slightly more upscale than Riverside, but it isn't as diverse either.
The train tracks and blaring train horns in the Murray Hill statement is very true.
Personally I couldn't see myself even considering living anywhere in Springfield,
not even the Historic Springfield area. I just don't like being surrounded by hoods.
You will undoubtedly find much more to rent in Riverside than in any other area
you have mentioned.

Thanks Williamwebb! I am glad you guys responded to my thread. Diversity is sometimes a touchy subject, but I usually address the "elephant in the room" head on. Thanks for your honesty. Since Murray Hill is captive by trains, it is not the place for me. I think that I am leaning towards Riverside, but I hear that the RAP Organization is very strictive, when it comes to home renovations an such. I am still interested in Fairfax, I just really need to see it for myself I guess. I agree with you about being surrounded by the "hood." I want to be safe and happy. Though the areas are seeing some gentification, I don't know that I want to tackle that being new to the area and being a female living alone. If you don't mind me asking,l where did you decide to settle and are you happy with your choice. I really want to buy a home, but I think I should rent first so that I won't rushed into a decision and then regret it later.

BJak

Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJak View Post
Thanks Williamwebb! I am glad you guys responded to my thread. Diversity is sometimes a touchy subject, but I usually address the "elephant in the room" head on. Thanks for your honesty. Since Murray Hill is captive by trains, it is not the place for me. I think that I am leaning towards Riverside, but I hear that the RAP Organization is very strictive, when it comes to home renovations an such. I am still interested in Fairfax, I just really need to see it for myself I guess. I agree with you about being surrounded by the "hood." I want to be safe and happy. Though the areas are seeing some gentification, I don't know that I want to tackle that being new to the area and being a female living alone. If you don't mind me asking,l where did you decide to settle and are you happy with your choice. I really want to buy a home, but I think I should rent first so that I won't rushed into a decision and then regret it later.

BJak
Diversity is much overrated IMO. The last 2 neighbors in a house near me have been "diverse" from my POV. Southern rednecks. The stuff of Jeff Foxworthy jokes. I'd much prefer neighbors just like me. So be careful what you wish for .

Also - let's face it. If your neighbors - regardless of flavor - are married with younger kids and especially if both are working - they're going to have a lot less free time than you do. Perhaps (knock wood) you'll have a cordial relationship. But I wouldn't count on going out with them for dinner except perhaps once in a blue moon.

I agree 100% with renting first. You might take a look here:

Apartments in Jacksonville FL | 220 Riverside

Looks like a pretty exciting new place (especially for this metro area). And will give you a chance to explore the Riverside area. The apartments are small - so I think you'll find many other singles - not families with kids. I have previously suggested that people in your situation explore the new apartments in the Town Center. But I've heard recently that because of their proximity to UNF - they attract lots of college kids. Not your demographic.

Overall - for someone like you (single and well post-college) - I think areas like Riverside and the JAX Beaches might be the most promising in terms of finding people similarly situated.

In terms of houses in Riverside and nearby - when my husband and I built in 1995 - we found the ARB rules there oppressively restrictive. If you move into the area and rent - you can explore what things are like now. And see whether the current situation agrees with you. We moved here after living for 20+ years in Miami - and still decided to rent for a minimum of 6 months before deciding to settle here.

FWIW - William Webb has said here in public that he will be out of town this week. Don't know whether he'll reply to messages before he returns. So don't think he's rude if he doesn't get back to you fast. Also - based on his public messages here - he lives near where I live - in Ponte Vedra Beach. I don't know why he chose this area - or whether he likes it - or how old he is. I will just note that there are many more available middle-aged women here (as a result of divorces and the like) than men. The only ones I know who remarried successfully learned how to play golf . It's a useful game to learn if you move here (for both social and business reasons).

If you happen to be gay - well gay people live here in the 'burbs too . Although a lot of "who's with whom" - "who has broken up" kind of stuff can start to sound like a 21st century version of Peyton Place! This metro area - although it has a lot of people - can be very small town in that it's hard to keep your private life private. OTOH - it's like who cares. Won't tell you that my best friend is a gay woman. Because it's not true. But many people I deal with as a client/patient/whatever are. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville