Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,331 times

Advertisements

TPC 2014 recently wrapped up this year and as I went by on Wednesday I was reminded of a question that's been pestering me for a while. What exactly are the folks in all the tents on the side of the road on A1A selling that you can't get at any area Publix or through the PGA tour website? It's not like the Masters where tickets aren't available to the general public. Are those guys selling unused corporate tickets? If so, wouldn't it be odd to buy a corporate ticket and crash their private chalet or whatever set up they have for the event? Has anyone ever bought something from those guys? Very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
I seriously doubt the scalpers would be selling corporate hospitality tickets. People get them from various outfits due to their relationship with the company. And they know that if they use them for profit - as opposed to pleasure - they'll never get another one.

Also - when you get a ticket like that from a company you do business with - you're generally dealing with a person too (like your broker). And it would be considered pretty rude either to sell the ticket (if you could) - or even not use it (a broker may get a total of 30 tickets to hand out for a particular day - and - if you can't use a ticket - you tell the broker so he can give it to another client).

BTW - most corporate hospitality venues are large ---> very large. The one I used most often (UBS - when it was a sponsor) had 3 venues that - overall - accommodated hundreds of people. Most of whom don't know one another. Perhaps I am being naive - but I think most people are like me in terms of looking at these tickets as nice gifts - not something you try to make a few bucks off of.

I've never bought a ticket by the side of the road. But I suspect a fair number are the unused portions of various kinds of weekly tickets (like the tickets for Thursday if someone is only planning to attend the other 3 days). Robyn

Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
To simplify the answer - they are unused tickets being sold at a discount. Ticket brokers are alloted a # of tickets and those that don't get sold via their normal channels are given to the people you're seeing on the side of the road to sell. They get a cut of the tickets sold (which is why they're always willing to barter).

Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
The crowds depend. Least crowded is Tuesday/Wednesday during the practice rounds. When you can take pictures - and it's easier to get autographs. Least crowded day of the tournament proper is Thursday. Second is Friday. And it's usually better viewing then because it's before the cut. So you have about twice as many players on the course as over the weekend - and they're starting both from the first and tenth tees. Over the weekend - even with the same number of viewers as Thursday/Friday - although usually there are more - it will feel a lot more crowded. Because there are fewer players - and everyone is starting on the first tee. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville