Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM

260 posts, read 388,053 times

Advertisements

What are the major tv and appliance stores that offer prices besides Best Buy. Also for mattresses and box springs?

Last edited by AnnieCt; 05-28-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 PM

78 posts, read 243,453 times
We've always found great prices on electronics/appliances at HHGregg. For a mattress, try Costco. We bought one there about 2 months ago and love it.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
For electronics, Tiger Direct.

For mattresses, American Freight.

Watch out for HH Gregg, their warranty service department is unreliable.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
HH Gregg is perhaps the worst place on Earth, don't ever go there.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
We bought our last bedding set at Mattress Firm at the Town Center. Nothing exceptional about the place except it actually honored its warranty and replaced the first defective set we bought from it! Super unusual for a mattress store.

I recently bought 3 smaller TVs to replace some ancient ones. I bought 2 on Amazon (which I wouldn't recommend for a really big TV)* - and 1 at Costco. Happy with all of them. Costco does - IIRC - double the original manufacturer's warranty - and is excellent when it comes to returns/refunds. I think that both Amazon and Costco use Square Trade for extended warranties. I don't like Square Trade. OTOH - I didn't buy extended warranties on these sets.

Note that before buying on Amazon - I bought the first TV at Best Buy. Bad experience. To make a long story short - the set I bought was supposed to be new - but had previously been sold (figured that out when I opened the sealed box at home and found all the little packages were cut open and the batteries had been installed in the remote). Best Buy did return my money. Still - the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Robyn

*We only have one big TV. Which we bought years ago at Sound Advice (now out of business). Not sure where I'd buy a big TV these days (Costco might be ok for some people - but I don't think my husband and I could handle a big set ourselves). Maybe Amazon - which provides this service:

Enhanced Delivery

For this item, we offer Enhanced Delivery through one of our specialty shippers. Representatives from a specialty shipping service will deliver your item to any room you choose, unpack it, and inspect it for damage. The shipper representatives will also dispose of all packaging material, unless you choose to keep it. If the item is a TV, they will offer to plug the TV into a power source and power it on. Learn More

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
HH Gregg is perhaps the worst place on Earth, don't ever go there.
I've never bought anything at HH Gregg (can't even recall being in an HH Gregg store). What did it do to p*** you off? Robyn

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've never bought anything at HH Gregg (can't even recall being in an HH Gregg store). What did it do to p*** you off? Robyn
I can't speak for anyone else, but it took HH Gregg 3 months to get my mother's television repaired when the only thing wrong with it was the powerboard. It was an utter nightmare.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:22 PM

I'm surprised anyone would bother to repair a TV today. Especially if it's a smaller bargain TV. Two of the TVs I bought recently were 22". I bought one (an Insignia from Best Buy) for $99 - the other (a Samsung from Costco) for $129. At those prices - they're pretty much disposable after the warranty expires. I guess I forgot about the 22" set I bought at Best Buy (but that set is probably almost 2 years old now).

Overall - I think you're going to get the best TV prices at Costco when various models go on sale (perhaps at other warehouse places too - but I only have a Costco membership). OTOH - the Costco TV models (like its other appliance models) aren't always exactly the same as the models elsewhere. There are various small differences. Like the Sony I bought on Amazon has a matte black metal bezel and a metal stand. The "same" Sony at Costco - which costs $50 less on sale - about $20 less otherwise - has a shiny black plastic bezel and a plastic stand. It's up to the buyer to decide whether the differences in features are worth the $$$ to him/her.

We have pretty much gone through an almost total TV replacement cycle the last couple of years. I got sick of reading about all the new TV technology (like internet TV) and not having any. Also figured that if I waited too long - my brain would go limp and I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use the stuff. Ditto when it comes to Bluetooth things. All of this stuff may be second nature to young/younger people - it isn't for a lot of older people. FWIW - if your mother - you - or anyone else here - likes Netflix/Amazon Prime/similar - and you don't have an internet TV - a Roku box (or the new Roku stick) works great. In fact - I think the Roku works better than the internet TVs I bought. My 95 year old father bought himself the Roku 3 kit at Costco (Roku 3 plus HDMI cable for $5 less than regular Roku 3 price) based on my suggestion - and he loves it.

And I sure wouldn't put up with 3 months in the shop if my TV was still on warranty. My problem with most TVs is they seem to last and last and last. Not only long enough to be lacking all the current bells and whistles - but long enough that they have zero in terms of any current technology. One of our old TVs wound up on the porch. It's so old it doesn't even have a single HDMI port. And the even older TV it replaced was an old CRT (which was still working - but was too heavy for us to move around these days when doing "spring cleaning"). Hope I haven't cursed myself in terms of the TVs I just bought . Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-30-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Too long to type, I would lose people 8 paragraphs in. Basically the issue is the people there work on commission, so they do nothing but overpromise and underdeliver... literally. I literally NEVER received the refrigerator I bought there. They never showed up, several times, call customer service and they would say things like "Hold on, I'm talking to the driver right now... <pause> he said he's right down the street from you, here he comes, OK?" Just to get off the phone with me, of course, no one ever showed up. Call the sales guy a million times, excuses, excuses, it'll be there tomorrow FOR SURE! Never shows. Go to the store, they offer me a loaner fridge since mine is no longer in stock and it'll be 2 months... yeah 2 months... they accidentally sold my fridge to someone else.

You get the idea.... I cancelled the order obviously (that was fun getting my money back too...) drove immediately to Best Buy, same fridge, price-matched, had it the next day in my house, no issues. When I went in there and handed them the quote from HH Gregg, which was significantly less than the list price (that's how they get you), she laughed and said "Another HH Gregg referral, I bet you never got the fridge, right?" HH Gregg does some awesome marketing for their competitors without knowing it.

I also ordered a washer and dryer from HH Gregg, which did actually come, but it turns out they installed it incorrectly. Meaning they didnt tighten the water connection, so the first time we used the washer, water everywhere, it was a disaster. The insurance guy came out to assess damages, first thing he says when he saw the issue "Bought it from HH Gregg I see.."

Bottom line, HH Gregg is the devil and everyone knows it.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like one nightmare after another to me.

I'm trying to remember where we've bought appliance replacements (the originals we put in our house were from Ferguson or ones we brought with us from Miami - washer and dryer). All the replacements I can recall - washer - dishwasher and double ovens - were from Sears (which is still - amazingly - in business). No issues whatsoever. Not even on warranty work.

The only thing that seems to fail when it comes to appliances here IMO is stuff that's in contact with the crummy water. And - occasionally - a motherboard in something like our ovens with complicated electronics. We don't replace an appliance if the electronics fail in a minor way these days (our microwave lost it's "ding" about a decade ago - and - after a $150 repair - it lost its "ding" again shortly thereafter - so I live without the "ding" now).

BTW - I recommend this outfit for non-warranty repairs (it doesn't do warranty work):

Appliance Service Jacksonville FL - Advanced Appliance Repair Inc

It did a $100 repair on my super old Maytag dryer which is still humming along after about 25 years now. Think that dryer will outlive 3 or more washers. Might outlive me .

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville