Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM

208 posts, read 819,508 times

Advertisements

Maybe people are just ignorant, they must not know any better. I'll get to what I'm talking about...I'm driving my truck at the St. Johns Towncenter. I stop at the stop sign, I proceed to move (no people are in the street at the moment) and a lady just walks right across the street running her mouth on her cell phone. She does not look left or right, she just takes the chance that it's clear without checking.

Of course I stop, I don't honk my horn, I just wait. I come around the corner and people are walking in the street (there is a sidewalk), and I actually have to wait for them...I'm in a huge truck, and they want to play chicken, so I wait.

I start to notice a trend once I park...most people today did not pay any attention to traffic. They just walk and don't look. I'm definitely not going to intentionally hit anyone, but some people are too ignorant to even look both ways nowadays. I don't know what it is. Are people really this bad?

This happens more and more, and maybe I just need to vent, but it seems like some people are more worried about their cell phone conversation than the large half ton vehicle coming at them. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by Keeper; 12-17-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: per OP request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
People are that bad, some are just in their own world so to speak and the cell phones only make matters worse in distracting them! Then of course there's the ones that simply take such risks, in what I feel are contributed to them thinking the world should revolve around them.

If feel your frustration, and find that in general...people can be so ignorant!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
I agree, but is this really just Jax though?? If you wanna talk about people blindly walking out in front of cars, try living in any big city in the northeast. I was SURE I would end up accidently nailing a pedestrian with my car or have someone's car ram into me because I was paying too much attention to pedestrians.

Yeah, you know how St Johns Town Center is on a busy day? Its like that EVERYWHERE driving around in big cities.

I agree though that St Johns TC shouldn't be mixing cars with pedestrians. They bill themselves as a pedestrian mall, but its really not.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 324,412 times
Just another day at St. John's Town Center. Pedestrians always have the right of way, but they shouldn't take advantage of it to inconvenience drivers.

People are like that everywhere.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1972 View Post
Pedestrians always have the right of way, but they shouldn't take advantage of it to inconvenience drivers.
Pedestrians should not take advantage of a law giving them the right of way because it might inconvenience drivers? What makes drivers more important? Maybe the drivers are inconveniencing the pedestrians.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Maybe pedestrians and drivers should both abide by the law. Just because the pedestrian has the right away, doesn't mean they're entitled to cross against the light or blindly walk into traffic. I think it boils down to people not bothering to show mutual respect or common courtesy.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
On a somewhat different topic (cel phones and drivers) I believe cel phone use while driving should be a separate DMV endorsement.

Fact is, some people (a few) are entirely capable of doing it safely while others (most) aren't.

Make it so a driver must pass a road course test while simultaneously answering verbal questions on multiple choice test over a cel phone. If he or she is able to pass both tests, then they get a cel phone endorsement on their license and a special sticker to put on their tag so they aren't pulled over for it. If someone is seen talking in the cel phone without the endorsement on their tag, then the officer can pull them over and it would carry the same penalties as drunk driving (since the results are often the same)

Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 AM

Sorry, but I don't think that anyone should be given a thumbs up to chat on the phone while driving.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
I will spend the rest of my life crippled because of a driver on a cell phone who did not see me.On the police report the driver stated"I was talking on the phone.I never show him." Does that make everyone guilty NO.But I think if your in a high traffic/high pedestrian area hang up the phone and pay attention.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM

365 posts, read 699,052 times
I had something similar happen to me out at that towncenter, this guy just walked straight out in front of me and he was with another boy, they were teenagers, so I guess they figured, ha ha she wont/cant do a thing...so I was so put out, I turned back around and pulled up next to them, I asked them if they drove and they both said no, very sheepishly, they never guessed Id come over to them I suppose, so I told them if they liked walking blindly, that one day they might just get hit by someone who was just as blind, they started apologizing all over the place, and I asked them their names, and if they were out there alone, they got even more embarrassed, and I said, "I could call a cop but I wont, since you didnt dint my car" and I figured it might embarass them enough theyd never do it again...so it made me feel better anyway, I probably never would have done it if it had been a ten ton gorilla, but they dont do much shopping I guess, but people think youre not going to stop THEM, so they dare ya... if DMV authorized cell phone usage, guess we could all drive with our FEET, we certainly wouldnt need two hands!... be careful, its an asphalt jungle, and the whole world gets more insane and daring during the holidays....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville