Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:17 PM

103 posts, read 139,724 times

Advertisements

While I'm not excited about having our next two school Holidays be hurricane make-up days, I think the idea of the school cancellations/early evacuations is to allow everyone the opportunity to prepare and not have a repeat of Floyd. I agree the execution could have been handled far better back then. We went nowhere fast and it wasn't fun. Times that population in '99 to however much we've grown since and I think its a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
May God be with you all.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
An update...

After Mayor Curry issued the evacuation order - I checked. And our original hotel is in an evacuation area. So I changed reservations to a place on Gate Parkway (probably got the last room). Don't know whether we'll use the room tomorrow night - or just check in and show up early Friday - or whatever. But at least we'll have a place if we need it. Robyn

Old 10-05-2016, 02:06 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
My folks live in Arlington and are talking about evacuation just in case power is out. I was thinking that it was premature.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:13 PM

134 posts, read 190,979 times
[quote=flashes1;45721222]May God be with you all.[/QUOTET

This clearly has nothing to do with god. If he cared, he'd send this thing out to sea

Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM

294 posts, read 340,644 times
we left at 11:30 and got to Panama City Beach at 3:30 central time. Not bad. Condo by the beach. Back Sunday afternoon is plan. There was hardly any gas or food at places by the beaches when we left. Good luck and be safe to all.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
I think I'd rather take my chances with the hurricane than drive 6 hours with my in-laws and stay in the same hotel room.
We all have our own rooms, separate cars etc. Drive wasn't bad actually. Took us 5 and half hours no traffic (left at 1pm). Hopefully we'll have a home we can go back to...

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
This ****er is looking nasty

Old 10-06-2016, 05:06 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and ability to decide what is best for them.........leave early, leave late, stay put or go.

We have been in this area 30 plus years and this is the first time we have ever evacuated. We are also on a barrier island a block from the beach.

This storm is just to hard to call and and could be a definite threat. We left, I just could not see taking the chance of getting stuck in the mass exodus of those leaving 24 hours ahead.

If you were not here for the storm in 99 you have no idea of how bad traffic was. Three hours to get from Amelia Island to the interstate. Four hours from Kingsland Georgia to Folkston.

All these years later and the coastal population has since exploded. Ask and emergency management person and if they have any integrity they will tell you honestly that there are not enough evacuation routes or shelters to cover those in our area. It is a given.

You have I 10, I 16 and I 26, all going west....................you will find people driving to Alabama to find rooms.

My biggest surprise from 99 to now was the running out of gasoline.

I hope everyone stays safe and this thing blows out to sea before it hits Jacksonvile

Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and ability to decide what is best for them.........leave early, leave late, stay put or go.

We have been in this area 30 plus years and this is the first time we have ever evacuated. We are also on a barrier island a block from the beach.

This storm is just to hard to call and and could be a definite threat. We left, I just could not see taking the chance of getting stuck in the mass exodus of those leaving 24 hours ahead.

If you were not here for the storm in 99 you have no idea of how bad traffic was. Three hours to get from Amelia Island to the interstate. Four hours from Kingsland Georgia to Folkston.

All these years later and the coastal population has since exploded. Ask and emergency management person and if they have any integrity they will tell you honestly that there are not enough evacuation routes or shelters to cover those in our area. It is a given.

You have I 10, I 16 and I 26, all going west....................you will find people driving to Alabama to find rooms.

My biggest surprise from 99 to now was the running out of gasoline.

I hope everyone stays safe and this thing blows out to sea before it hits Jacksonvile
Where did you go? This is the only time I have *not* evacuated. At least in any meaningful sense (we're going to the mainland today - because of the risk of flooding here at the beaches). It wasn't so much a decision as the result of circumstances. My husband's surgery on Tuesday. And my father's refusal to budge from his place. Until this morning.

I am feeling pretty nervous. I really hope the winds aren't that strong. Because - in all honesty - I think our house is built sturdier than the hotel where we'll be staying. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville