Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,146,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I you don't mind living in the generic haze that is Jacksonville suburbia, then no, it's not worth it.

If you don't want suburbia, and are looking for something a bit more authentic & unique, yes, it is worth it. As San Marco, Springfield historic district, Murray Hill, Miramar would be worth the drive everyday as well.
You should be on their marketing payroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,755,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
No! Not even if you were driving the Bat mobile.
Anything similar that's closer to the beach?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Can you get to the beach within 15 minutes from any of these places?
Maybe 20 on a good day from San Marco. But it's typically 25-35 minutes from these neighborhoods, depending on where exactly you are.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Anything similar that's closer to the beach?
No, unless you're at the beach. Then you'd be interest in Atantic Beach.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
You should be on their marketing payroll.

Unlike most of the new suburban developments out there, these histoirc neighborhoods don't have paid advertising. They get their local & national pub (and international, in some cases) the old fashion way: earning it.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
No, unless you're at the beach. Then you'd be interest in Atantic Beach.
Of the beach communities would Atlantic Beach have the area most similar to Riverside/Avondale with regard to older houses near to shops and restaurants? Anywhere else? What about St. Augustine Beach?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:26 AM

46 posts, read 60,540 times
I would say Neptune Beach would be the closest to that type of neighborhood. St Augustine Beach would be quite a commute to work. San Marco /Miramar might be your best option. It's a 25 min drive to the beach, but the daily work commute would notbe bad at all. It has all the charm you are looking for as well. What price range are you looking for?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
I want to say that the "charm" of San Marco can wear off quickly. There is STILL traffic commute to the SOUTH end of Southside and really...the "stores and restaurants" are very LIMITED. Yes you can meet people there if you go to bars or restaurants with the outside patios etc OK. Yeah, there's a Yoga nearby and the tram to downtown. There's also an oxycontin detox center and a bunch of crackheads except for that little strip in the HEART of San Marco. If you need butter good luck, you have to go to one of those mini marts where they have a TON OF wine and beer but often no butter eggs or BREAD.

People relocating only see the "charm" on the internet. And maybe don't realize what they're looking at when they rush in to visit initially.

I lived in The Strand and never ONCE went into any of the stores in San Marco after my first curiosity trip. I DID go to University many times for grocery and further down Hendricks/San Jose to the Target area with all the stores or the Mall down there.

HOW MANY TIMES are you going to go in those San Marco "stores" and restaurants? LOL Half of them are novelty stores and there's no GROCERY.

You still have to drive to University and big whoop there's a "DELI" that doesn't even sell lunchmeat (when I lived there) but only sandwiches.

There's a Starbucks. OK there's a zillion Starbucks everywhere.

Charm of people stopping on their bikes to have coffee? OK. But the rentals there are not even all that nice unless you're spending BUCKS.

For relocations, single person with no kids renting....people have to be VERY CAREFUL they know what they're getting into.

It's not like Riverside/Avondale where you can actually get A LOT of what you need more or less. Granted maybe some people aren't "shoppers" and dont need much of that so even MORE reason to not care. Yes in Riverside you can get a river view or adjacent for BUCKS. Yes you can hang out in restaurants every night if that's your gig. Yes the Starbucks is central with a patio. So is the lady panhandling every day all day. Or that other lady who lays on the side of the new restaurant wall on St Johns (or is it Riverside Ave I forget) LOL.

And even at THAT, the Publix is old and crowded and it's nothing "special". Parking is IMPOSSIBLE so you better be in walking distance with a cart to wheel your stuff home. There's an organic-ish market place with a juice bar I'm not sure San Marco has that either. It's even hard to park at that juicebar market. The TRAFFIC in Riverside is no joke either when you're trying to get to i95 or downtown in crowded times and there are PLENTY Of peak times you want to avoid. As a dog walker living in my car I had to pad every LOCAL JOB with 15 minutes and my time is MONEY.7-8 AM is one of those times with back to back cars and the sun blaring in your eyes.

I'd rather live in sterile Southpointe (for example) in a nice new [gated] Citigate complex with a pool, gym and green grass outside and walk to the large dreaded suburban SHOPPING CENTER that has just the same amount of "stuff" as downtown and chop off that nasty commute than spend 2 hours a day in the car for the charm of a duck pond in Miramar (where you can't walk to ANYTHING) or the Starbucks in San Marco. Don't get me wrong I like Miramar but it's really more for families or couples BUYING. Miramar is GREAT for families who DO THINGS TOGETHER and want traditional neighborhood and schools nearby.

And let's be honest (although I don't shop and use Amazon for everything) 5 minutes to a Home Depot (for example) is a beautiful thing on a Sat morning when you need a hammer instead of driving over an hour for one.

I had a great rental for $595 in Avondale right on St Johns, I'd say 900 sq ft - so if THAT would make it "worth it" even WITH the wear and tear and gas for the car, OK. You can save probably $1000 on rent foregoing the fancy suburban garden complexes. But even Avondale you only have RESTAURANTS nothing else to speak of. So you're back to driving to Riverside for MILK haha. But you can buy booze there's a liquor store there.

That's coming from a perspective of someone who abhors commuting after having done it my whole life.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-14-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhometeamjax View Post
I would say Neptune Beach would be the closest to that type of neighborhood. St Augustine Beach would be quite a commute to work. San Marco /Miramar might be your best option. It's a 25 min drive to the beach, but the daily work commute would notbe bad at all. It has all the charm you are looking for as well. What price range are you looking for?
I'm not talking about commuting to work - that's not really a factor. I'm more interested in only being ten minutes or so from a decent beach and close to shops and restaurants. I don't mind driving five minutes to a convenience store or ten or fifteen to a drug store or supermarket - even a half hour to the big boxes is fine. A small house, maybe 1200-1500 square feet with a small yard is fine. Can this be found for 300-350k? Or rented for $1500?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,333,495 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about commuting to work - that's not really a factor. I'm more interested in only being ten minutes or so from a decent beach and close to shops and restaurants. I don't mind driving five minutes to a convenience store or ten or fifteen to a drug store or supermarket - even a half hour to the big boxes is fine. A small house, maybe 1200-1500 square feet with a small yard is fine. Can this be found for 300-350k? Or rented for $1500?
Look anywhere in the Intracoastal West area along San Pablo Rd, lots of those available in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville