Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM

29 posts, read 49,071 times

Advertisements

I've been scoping out the Jacksonville area for a while and came to love the Avondale area. I recently got a job on the southern end of the Southside area. I can only imagine the beast it would be to drive from Avondale to 295/95 everyday. I've read a bunch of articles about how long commutes tend to drain people. According to some estimators I found, the drive would be about 35 minutes each way which doesn't sound horrible but it's 20 minutes more than I'm used to. Gas is another consideration...my gut is saying I should live near work. Anyone have an opinion about whether Avondale is worth the commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,593 times
Traffic in Jacksonville is no joke and can vary greatly from your morning commute to your afternoon commute. I don't live in Jacksonville, I only work in it but I enjoy spending time in the Avondale Area. But I would just rent in the area and see what you think of the drive, that way if you don’t like it you can always relocate to the Southside of town.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
-You're kinda doing a reverse commute, but traffic can get bad occasionally in this direction too.
-San Marco might give you some of the same benefits while being a bit closer to work.

Ultimately, YOU'VE got to decide whether it's worth it to you. For me, I don't think so.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Like projectmaximus said - it's a reverse commute. So possibly not so bad.

I would try it out - at least 10-20 times - at times you'll be commuting and see what you think. It's basically a time cost/benefit analysis thing. A very personal decision. Robyn

Old 07-04-2014, 01:53 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
Reverse commute is the key. I live in the Springfield neighborhood. I commuted to the area around I295 and I95 for almost 4 years. Most days traffic is heavy but moves at normal speed limits. The only problem is if there is a fender bender and a lane gets blocked. Once you come through the downtown area past the construction, get in the left lane and it is usually smooth sailing all the way out.

It also depends on what time you will begin your commute. Of course as always, the earlier the better. Coming back could prove worse than going, again depending on the time you leave. Traffic tends to start backing up close to downtown due to the construction.

Is it worth the drive to live in Avondale? If you fell in love with Avondale, there is nothing in the south side that will be remotely close to Avondale. Get an economical vehicle and you will cut your costs.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

97 posts, read 216,817 times
It seems that everywhere you go takes at least 30 minutes. I commute on 295 often and find that it moves pretty well.

For me, I'd rather live somewhere I love. You may not always have that job or the job location may change.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Well I didn't do a regular commute or a reverse commute because as a dog walker my hours were 24/7 but yeah, traffic is no joke and it's really something you have to do to decide. Also you can check the construction if planned or accident report frequencies.

When there was construction on I95 it could take me a much longer time to go to the Belford Rd area that little distance to Southpoint in the middle of the NIGHT than you'd think. (I did a live in job for someone there once)

The one and only time I had to go from my house in Avondale to pick up a dog from a vet at a 295 exit down there somewhere I sat in traffic for 20 minutes waiting to get off and remember thinking WTH why are all these people traveling South and getting off HERE at 7 AM!? LOL I have no idea why though, it looked like normal commuter traffic. Maybe something to do with the NAS station there?

I came home on San Jose instead even though that seemed counterproductive at least I was moving the whole time not sitting.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamieya View Post
I've been scoping out the Jacksonville area for a while and came to love the Avondale area. I recently got a job on the southern end of the Southside area. I can only imagine the beast it would be to drive from Avondale to 295/95 everyday. I've read a bunch of articles about how long commutes tend to drain people. According to some estimators I found, the drive would be about 35 minutes each way which doesn't sound horrible but it's 20 minutes more than I'm used to. Gas is another consideration...my gut is saying I should live near work. Anyone have an opinion about whether Avondale is worth the commute?
I you don't mind living in the generic haze that is Jacksonville suburbia, then no, it's not worth it.

If you don't want suburbia, and are looking for something a bit more authentic & unique, yes, it is worth it. As San Marco, Springfield historic district, Murray Hill, Miramar would be worth the drive everyday as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I you don't mind living in the generic haze that is Jacksonville suburbia, then no, it's not worth it.

If you don't want suburbia, and are looking for something a bit more authentic & unique, yes, it is worth it. As San Marco, Springfield historic district, Murray Hill, Miramar would be worth the drive everyday as well.
Can you get to the beach within 15 minutes from any of these places?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Can you get to the beach within 15 minutes from any of these places?
No! Not even if you were driving the Bat mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville