Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Meant to add this link too:

http://downtownjacksonville.org/content/?page_id=18 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM

22 posts, read 80,724 times
Default Similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain919 View Post
I live n Wilmington, NC and grew up n Raleigh, and my girlfriend lives n Jax. I can say that the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapal Hill) is a really good place 2 live but the u would probably b disappointed with the dt there as well n Raleigh, although it is improving. Chapal Hill is smaller, liberal, College town. I plan 2 move 2 Jax n November myself 2 b close 2 gf, but I really do love it here n Wilmington. The downtown is historic and its right on the cape fear river with lots of unique shops and some really good dining, and the beach (Wrightsville Beach) is just on the other side of town about 15 min, with dock and dine rests on the ICWW. Carolina Beach is about 30 min south and u can drive on the beach with a 4x4 for $10 a day, or u can get an annual pass for $40. U can camp overnight, build fires, grill out, fish or whatever with ur ride right there. U may want 2 look n2 Wilmington if u dont mind a little bit smaller town, although it does have alot 2 offer. Just b sure 2 get a job lined up BEFORE u get here. I'm just learning more about Jax myself by visiting girlfriend, but if u have anymore questions about anywhere n NC just let me know.
Your post was so similar to my story. I'm the female. I lived in FL. I did a search on a dating site one night- but didn't really want to meet a man from the world of the internet so did a 250+ search and I found this profile of a man in NC- Looked safe. Too far to commute. so I thought. we talked from Feb to the 3rd week of May then he had to know if he should move on or really start a "dating" relationship. Don't know how you do that this distance-
But, we did. We met and he kept coming back. He worked in AL and LA with Katrina then on to Ft Lauderdale with Wilma. And, by the following May we had made our decision. We married in NC and now live in FL. Hubby is doing private RE investing in NC and commuting. Tell me that's not a travel for a job. Oh, I forgot to mention- He has an awful boss. He works for me so we say but he runs everything.

He's been gone too long and we are ready for him to be home and take a little break.

Just had to share since the scenerio sounded so similar.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,523 times
Jacksonville is a great city to live in and although downtown really is a downtown area it's not like the downtown of many large cities. Supposedly Jacksonville is the largest city/ municipality in square miles in the United States. Because of this it is subject to dramatic urban sprawl. There are a lot of good cultural areas with a night life like Riverside, San Marco, Avondale and Jacksonville Beach. You just have to find your kind of night life and live in that area of town. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bones15 View Post
I am thinking of moving from the NJ-NYC area to florida. I am looking for a city with a "downtown" shopping and nightlife district (like NYC or Sobe).
I think the days of downtown shopping anywhere as we used to know it are gradually coming to an end. Could be a number of factors including the cost of downtown real estate or whatever. But, in any case, the same big name stores that you could only find downtown are now in any number of shopping centers in the suburbs. NYC which has become a big tourist mecca over the years will always have the shopping along with big entertainment for the visitors. In all the years that I lived in NY I rarely made a special trip to NYC to shop.

As far as nightlife, don't expect to find NYC in Jacksonville. People who moved here from NY/NJ or any other "jumping" city have for the most part "been there, done that". So I would advise anybody thinking of moving to Jax for the party scene to think again.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcoppen View Post
Jacksonville is a great city to live in and although downtown really is a downtown area it's not like the downtown of many large cities. Supposedly Jacksonville is the largest city/ municipality in square miles in the United States. Because of this it is subject to dramatic urban sprawl. There are a lot of good cultural areas with a night life like Riverside, San Marco, Avondale and Jacksonville Beach. You just have to find your kind of night life and live in that area of town. Hope this helps.
One thing that I like about downtown Jax and the surrounding areas Josh mentioned (San Marco, Avondale, etc.) is the accessibility.

NYC is awesome when you're in it (Manhattan), and the boroughs are quite accessible - usually 30 mins, more or less (Brooklyn, Queens, etc.), but once you get past the boroughs, the accessibility gets tougher.

In Jax, downtown just flows right into the surrounding areas and continues the flow.

I'm not sure if it's topography that makes the difference or if it's the natural outward development from downtown, but it's easy to have the best of both worlds here - you can live in parts that have both an urban and a suburban feel and be very close to downtown .

Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,606 times
Jax used to have a real downtown but it hollowed out and basically died. There are attempts to bring some life back to the city by getting people to live there, but for the most part this has involved expensive (for Jax) gated condo developments and people still completely wedded to their cars. If you look at an aerial view of downtown, the most prominent feature is the massive amount of surface-level off-street parking -- this is basically the definition of how not to design a walkable urban environment.

Jax does have a few interesting neighborhoods -- 5 Points/Riverside has some life in it, as does San Marco. Both of these neighborhoods are near downtown. Most everything else is just endless stripmalls, highways, and suburban wasteland. Stick a fork in it.

If I moved back to Jax I'd probably try to live at the beach.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Is downtown really a downtown?? Is a car really a car or a boat? If an airplane could swim under water would that make it a boat or submarine? Do submarines swim? do they sail? Is downtown really a downtown? Northbank, Southbank, Springfield, which came first the chicken or the egg?! NORTHBANK! came first! Is Northbank a suburb? hmmmm? Well if it is what is it a suburb of Hemming Plaza?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwaK View Post
hey Jay
No downtown jax is not like NY or sobe.
It is mostly businesses. We do have the Landing and the Riverwalk. There is the Times Union center where they have shows and the Symphony
I will go downtown to have lunch with my husband everyonce in awhile and we do enjoy the Symphony but other than that I rarely go down there.
I grew up in Phila and spent allot of time in NY so I can say I love Jax but if that is what you are looking for then no this isn't it.
karla
Very interesting. People do actually live on both Northbank & Southbank and im sure the uptowners in Springfield visit downtown often. Jacksonville, does not have enough people to create that NYC vibe. I think thats why SJTC was created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville