Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 74,849 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from the NJ-NYC area to florida. I am looking for a city with a "downtown" shopping and nightlife district (like NYC or Sobe). I like Sobe, but its too hot, and way too expensive.

My other choices are in N.C. (raliegh, chapell hill area) just to give you an idea of the scene I am looking for. I'd rather not be that far from the beach, though.

Also..anything you might want to add about other cities along the atlantic seaboard..id love to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 10:13 PM

17 posts, read 74,849 times
BUMP!

Seriously..no one has been to " downtown " jacksonville to give me a lowdown? Ive searched the forums..

Old 10-28-2006, 04:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
hey Jay
No downtown jax is not like NY or sobe.
It is mostly businesses. We do have the Landing and the Riverwalk. There is the Times Union center where they have shows and the Symphony
I will go downtown to have lunch with my husband everyonce in awhile and we do enjoy the Symphony but other than that I rarely go down there.
I grew up in Phila and spent allot of time in NY so I can say I love Jax but if that is what you are looking for then no this isn't it.
karla

Old 10-29-2006, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 77,012 times
yep, have to agree...if you're looking for a downtown that you can live in and walk to shops, restaurants, nightlife, etc...jax ain't it! it's getting alot better though, more condo and apartment renovations going on but still has a long way to go....but if you don't mind a little bit smaller town, annapolis, md is the best! waterfront restaurants, great bars, historic buildings...and only 30 minutes to baltimore or dc...savannah, ga is really cool too!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,959 times
Default NC cities

I live n Wilmington, NC and grew up n Raleigh, and my girlfriend lives n Jax. I can say that the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapal Hill) is a really good place 2 live but the u would probably b disappointed with the dt there as well n Raleigh, although it is improving. Chapal Hill is smaller, liberal, College town. I plan 2 move 2 Jax n November myself 2 b close 2 gf, but I really do love it here n Wilmington. The downtown is historic and its right on the cape fear river with lots of unique shops and some really good dining, and the beach (Wrightsville Beach) is just on the other side of town about 15 min, with dock and dine rests on the ICWW. Carolina Beach is about 30 min south and u can drive on the beach with a 4x4 for $10 a day, or u can get an annual pass for $40. U can camp overnight, build fires, grill out, fish or whatever with ur ride right there. U may want 2 look n2 Wilmington if u dont mind a little bit smaller town, although it does have alot 2 offer. Just b sure 2 get a job lined up BEFORE u get here. I'm just learning more about Jax myself by visiting girlfriend, but if u have anymore questions about anywhere n NC just let me know.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
go with raleigh or charlotte

Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bones15 View Post
I am thinking of moving from the NJ-NYC area to florida. I am looking for a city with a "downtown" shopping and nightlife district (like NYC or Sobe). I like Sobe, but its too hot, and way too expensive.

My other choices are in N.C. (raliegh, chapell hill area) just to give you an idea of the scene I am looking for. I'd rather not be that far from the beach, though.

Also..anything you might want to add about other cities along the atlantic seaboard..id love to hear.
have you ever been to Jacksonville? This is a city that had to bring in cruise ships to host the SuperBowl!

Nightlife must be getting drunk at Applebees.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
dear jacksonville, please do not turn into a miami or a new york city. thanks.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 AM

119 posts, read 610,660 times
lol MiamiRob, I've only been here a month and I can assure all of you that there is more to Jax nightlife than getting drunk at applebees. There are some cool places...no Mansion or anything, but that's probably a good thing for my savings account.

I'm beginning to fight the urge to tell people that Jax is in fact cool so that the traffic doesn't become as bad as Miami's.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Having moved from NYC myself, I can say that no, Downtown Jax is not like NYC, but then very few cities are on NYC's level.

There is a physical downtown that, from an architectural standpoint, is a "real" downtown. Did you ever see that movie "The Devil's Advocate" with Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino and there's that scene towards the end where Keanu is standing on the city street and there is not one soul in the entire city? It's a very dramatic scene, it's supposed to be NYC, I believe, but it was filmed in Downtown Jacksonville .

During the daytime, downtown feels like a real downtown - there are people on the street and lots of nice places to have lunch, Hemming Plaza is a nice place to sit and take a break, etc. At night, it's different. It's getting better, there are some art events, bars/clubs.restaurants downtown, but not a whole lot yet.

The downtown scene is worth checking out on a visit to see what you think of it. There's also a nice (and bigger) scene in San Marco (just below the Southbank of downtown) and a fun beach scene too. There are other nightlife areas as well......it's a big spread out city, so the nightlife spreads out some too.

Hope that helps to paint a picture .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville