Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:38 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times

Advertisements

As one of the "over 40 " crowd I would love to see a place where couples or singles in the age bracket could go to dance and enjoy an evening out.
The last time I was out at the beach I felt like I was chaperoning the "prom"

Think upscale "supper club" from the 40's & 50's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM

541 posts, read 2,278,731 times
I like San Jose, but I don't like its lack of walkability. Everywhere in San Jose needs to be driven to and people just don't like walking along 4 lane roads with cars zooming by at 50 mph. San Jose needs an area like San Marco Square....perhaps it could be called San Jose Square....or to be crazy enough it could be a circle...yeah San Jose Circle. How much does a fountain and a gazeebo cost?

San Jose needs a central area that is only two lanes of traffic with diagonal parking and nice restaurants and buisnesses along the two lane stretch. Then I would say bring it to San Jose. Until then, San Jose will just be another suburban neighborhood that lacks a heart. To give San Jose a heart and character it needs a walkable commerical center(i.e. not a strip mall along side a 4 lane road) and a park at its center. Then, when San Jose has some heart, we can give it a trendy restaurant and lounge. I do like the San Jose area and I hope that someday it will have lots of heart and character....to me it seems to be crying out for it!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
As one of the "over 40 " crowd I would love to see a place where couples or singles in the age bracket could go to dance and enjoy an evening out.
The last time I was out at the beach I felt like I was chaperoning the "prom"

Think upscale "supper club" from the 40's & 50's
Either chaperoning the prom or taking mom to the Elks..... and I think Fifty Seven Heaven* in Orange Park is our demographic, but ewwww.... a bunch of rednecks with too much cologne trying to hook up.

Karla- that reminds me when I went out with a bunch from work- we were at a place at the beach (Oceans...whatever) and I asked the waiter to take a pix of us and when we were grouping together for the shot, he asked if I was the mom.

Other than you, every friend I have made here has been younger than me by at least ten years, most by 15 years. I want to play with friends my own age!

* I think that Laura Capitano is one of the best things about Jax, but this article as depressing...true, but depressing! http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._6257695.shtml

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-18-2007 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM

that is a funny article hif
omg I think the "PPP" needs to go one night

can you imagine

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
that is a funny article hif
omg I think the "PPP" needs to go one night

can you imagine
No way, girlfriend. NO WAY!

I would be down for a contingent of CD locals going to House of Jam one Thursday night. (I hear that John Shaffer is single- LOL)

Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

What do you all think about a location closer to Baymeadows/University along San Jose? I am thinking that because Stonewood gets slammed and there is really nothing else in the area (I don't think), parking would be less of an issue and it would draw from San Marco, Mandarin and southside.
That's an interesting idea......

This is an area that, though already dense, is getting some new upscale infill projects.

There are the new condos on Baymeadows @ San Jose Blvd (Goodby's Creek waterfront). I'm not sure what the price point is on these, but I would think entry will be fairly high.

Then, further up San Jose Blvd, just to the north of University Blvd, "Old San Jose on the River" is going in. These condos were starting at $600k and going up to $3mil, but I think they lowered the entry point on them ($400k's?).

So, it would seem the demographics are there in that stretch of San Jose Blvd for upscale retail, nightclubs, restaurants, etc.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I like San Jose, but I don't like its lack of walkability. Everywhere in San Jose needs to be driven to and people just don't like walking along 4 lane roads with cars zooming by at 50 mph. San Jose needs an area like San Marco Square....perhaps it could be called San Jose Square....or to be crazy enough it could be a circle...yeah San Jose Circle. How much does a fountain and a gazeebo cost?

San Jose needs a central area that is only two lanes of traffic with diagonal parking and nice restaurants and buisnesses along the two lane stretch. Then I would say bring it to San Jose. Until then, San Jose will just be another suburban neighborhood that lacks a heart. To give San Jose a heart and character it needs a walkable commerical center(i.e. not a strip mall along side a 4 lane road) and a park at its center. Then, when San Jose has some heart, we can give it a trendy restaurant and lounge. I do like the San Jose area and I hope that someday it will have lots of heart and character....to me it seems to be crying out for it!
The city has a plan for this very kind of thing - it's called the "Town Center Vision Plan". When you look at San Marco today, you're seeing some of the Town Center Vision Plan in action. The historic looking street lamps, the flags, the brick walkways, the streetside landscaping - this is all part of the the Town Center Vision Plan.

There's a long waiting list for older neighborhoods to get revamping similar to what San Marco got. Last I saw the list, St. Nicolas was on it, Murray Hill, Lakewood, etc.

Further down San Jose into Mandarin is probably too "new" for the vision plan though. I'm not sure what could be done to make it more walkable in that stretch?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Either chaperoning the prom or taking mom to the Elks..... and I think Fifty Seven Heaven* in Orange Park is our demographic, but ewwww.... a bunch of rednecks with too much cologne trying to hook up.

Karla- that reminds me when I went out with a bunch from work- we were at a place at the beach (Oceans...whatever) and I asked the waiter to take a pix of us and when we were grouping together for the shot, he asked if I was the mom.

Other than you, every friend I have made here has been younger than me by at least ten years, most by 15 years. I want to play with friends my own age!

* I think that Laura Capitano is one of the best things about Jax, but this article as depressing...true, but depressing! http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._6257695.shtml
Oh that article is too funny!

Did they close up the 57 Heaven on Atlantic Blvd? I drive past it, but it's usually in daytime so I can't tell if they're still in business or not?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
No way, girlfriend. NO WAY!

I would be down for a contingent of CD locals going to House of Jam one Thursday night. (I hear that John Shaffer is single- LOL)
LOL hif
I am not talking about going to "hook" up but I am sure riv & I can help keep the "leisure suit larrys" at arms lenght.
I am talking about one of the best forms of entertainment
"people watching"

hmmm the article did say the music is 70's & 80's maybe I should dust off my records and DJ there one night of course I would have to bring my 2 "assistants"

ok everyone
"Y-M-C-A"

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 AM

541 posts, read 2,278,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The city has a plan for this very kind of thing - it's called the "Town Center Vision Plan". When you look at San Marco today, you're seeing some of the Town Center Vision Plan in action. The historic looking street lamps, the flags, the brick walkways, the streetside landscaping - this is all part of the the Town Center Vision Plan.

There's a long waiting list for older neighborhoods to get revamping similar to what San Marco got. Last I saw the list, St. Nicolas was on it, Murray Hill, Lakewood, etc.

Further down San Jose into Mandarin is probably too "new" for the vision plan though. I'm not sure what could be done to make it more walkable in that stretch?
Where is St. Nicolas? Lakewood is cool too I am glad to see it on the list. What is the plan for Lakewood?

Also, I was thinking of the boundary of San Jose as anything close to San Jose Blvd. from Baymeadows to University....it is a pretty big area, but I think part of it could be converted to 2 lanes with side parking. It would be cool and would boost property values!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville