Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 986 times

Advertisements

My job will let me transfer in a couple of mths and I've been researching Jacksonville Fl, I'm currently in New york and used to having shops and etc near me. Was looking into renting a house but dont want to be a deserted area with my disabled mom. Is there any good neighborhoods near the beach poss that are currently in decent price ranges? I have 3 dogs so renting a house is my best option.

Thank you in adance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM

2,558 posts, read 6,460,204 times
My only advice is to disclose upfront that you have 3 dogs, as many landlords will allow a max of 2 dogs/pets.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,103 times
Default Jax transplant

First get used to nothing being "near me". Jax is big and spread out so get used to driving and depending on a car for pretty much everything. Like any other place renting beach property or homes near the water are pricey and limited. Craigslist and Trulia can help to give you a better idea.

Good luck if you do decide to make the move. Best advice I can give is there's no place like home so don't expect to have the same lifestyle as what you left (back home this/back home that) and assimilate to your new surroundings. Jax is cool.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 39,912 times
Please note that the Jacksonville is larger than the NYC metro area, with very limited public transportation. Hopefully, you will keep the same pay scale and you actually get an automatic "raise" moving to Florida, i.e., no State income tax. Rest assured, they find many other ways for you to pay. The three dogs may be your biggest problem. Had a very hard time finding a place for my Dad with one large dog.

Cheers

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 15,837 times
It's definitely not NYC, although there is public transportation. Not nearly enough Starbucks, IMO. Think Queens more than Manhattan. You'd have to work to find someplace deserted--but you will have a little more space between you and your neighbor than in NYC, but not by much IMO. Maybe map out the hospital locations and look for rentals in areas closer to them, avoid the NW corner and probably downtown. Unfortunately the dogs will be a problem, but not impossible. I attempted to get info on about 30 rentals before we relocated here--with three dogs and a cat--and only got two property managers to show us houses, and only one that the owners would actually rent to us with all our pets. We had to put down a refundable pet deposit for each pet. It will be more work, but it can be done.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM

17 posts, read 23,844 times
Just curious where from NY you are moving... I'm originally from NY and scoping out Jacksonville myself. My husband, mom and I are expecting to relocate in 2015. We are from Upstate, Albany area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville