U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM

6,909 posts, read 5,195,367 times

Advertisements

Heard about this last week and the details are just now coming out. I really, really feel sorry for this poor guy minding his own business while some idiot rear ends him and pushes him over the side of the bridge.

I'm also angry at the onlookers recording this man struggling to survive in the water. If I'm at that bridge at the time of the accident and someone is recording this poor guy struggling to stay afloat, I'm taking their phone and throwing it in the river.

Jacksonville man helpless as Buckman Bridge accident victim cried out to his family, Jesus, before dying | members.jacksonville.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM

10,709 posts, read 6,046,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Heard about this last week and the details are just now coming out. I really, really feel sorry for this poor guy minding his own business while some idiot rear ends him and pushes him over the side of the bridge.

I'm also angry at the onlookers recording this man struggling to survive in the water. If I'm at that bridge at the time of the accident and someone is recording this poor guy struggling to stay afloat, I'm taking their phone and throwing it in the river.

Jacksonville man helpless as Buckman Bridge accident victim cried out to his family, Jesus, before dying | members.jacksonville.com
Only ten or fifteen feet to the water and nobody jumped in? Where is Lenny Skutnick when you need him most?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM

I kind o thought the same thing. But this was a big man who did not know how to swim, would have likely taken at least 2 people to dive in and help. Still....the whole thing sickens me.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 19,769,421 times
I agree 100% with everything you said. Note that I used to be a pretty strong swimmer when I was younger - and was trained in basic water rescue stuff. 30 years ago - perhaps my husband and I - together - would have tried to rescue this guy. We couldn't and wouldn't try to do it today.

OTOH - people who take (mostly cell phone pictures) in bad situations - I'd throw them (or at least their cell phones) into the water. Disgusting pieces of sh** IMO. Robyn

Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I kind o thought the same thing. But this was a big man who did not know how to swim, would have likely taken at least 2 people to dive in and help. Still....the whole thing sickens me.
You're right about this. When my husband and I were taking diving lessons - well when people who aren't water knowledgeable are drowning - they tend to flail here there and everywhere. They panic. And if they're big/strong - they can take you down in their panic. Unless you're bigger/stronger than they are.

I'm still big and strong enough and a good enough swimmer to help a toddler who's drowning. That's about it. Robyn

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 AM

410 posts, read 535,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You're right about this. When my husband and I were taking diving lessons - well when people who aren't water knowledgeable are drowning - they tend to flail here there and everywhere. They panic. And if they're big/strong - they can take you down in their panic. Unless you're bigger/stronger than they are.

I'm still big and strong enough and a good enough swimmer to help a toddler who's drowning. That's about it. Robyn
The only type of person who would be able to jump in and save someone in situation like this is if they have training in how to knock someone out cold, and then drag them to safety while they are taking a nap. And what are the odds of a Navy SEAL or a lifeguard who knows who to do this being at the scene during this exact moment? Very sad story....

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
The only type of person who would be able to jump in and save someone in situation like this is if they have training in how to knock someone out cold, and then drag them to safety while they are taking a nap. And what are the odds of a Navy SEAL or a lifeguard who knows who to do this being at the scene during this exact moment? Very sad story....
Hard to say. I would think a few good swimmers would be able to hold someone up long enough (5-10 minutes) before someone came along with some type of floatation device or rope that he could hang onto. Tough call though....you could be right, I have thankfully never been in that situation before and I imagine it would be difficult.

The thing that upsets me is the folks recording this situation. If traffic was stopped in both directions you could very easily run from car to car asking for ropes or anything that might be able to help save this guy. I realize this probably happened in the span of a few minutes but I have a hard time understanding people who sit there and do nothing. I'm not talking about older folks or people who wouldn't have the means to try something. If you have time to pull out a phone, walk to the side of the bridge, hit record and stand there and film this awful tragedy you have time to run around to some cars asking for items to help save this man.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hard to say. I would think a few good swimmers would be able to hold someone up long enough (5-10 minutes) before someone came along with some type of floatation device or rope that he could hang onto. Tough call though....you could be right, I have thankfully never been in that situation before and I imagine it would be difficult.

The thing that upsets me is the folks recording this situation. If traffic was stopped in both directions you could very easily run from car to car asking for ropes or anything that might be able to help save this guy. I realize this probably happened in the span of a few minutes but I have a hard time understanding people who sit there and do nothing. I'm not talking about older folks or people who wouldn't have the means to try something. If you have time to pull out a phone, walk to the side of the bridge, hit record and stand there and film this awful tragedy you have time to run around to some cars asking for items to help save this man.
When my husband and I became certified divers - we were put in some very minor emergency situations pre-certification. They weren't easy when we were young - and would probably be impossible now that we're older. Also - in all honesty - I'd be prepared to risk my life for my husband in an emergency situation like this - but not for a total stranger.

There was an article in the WSJ a few weeks ago about how people who are determined to take often gruesome pictures of tragedies on their cell phones are screwing up emergency rescue efforts in many different disaster situations. When it comes to these situations - and I've been near a few - I always figured if I wasn't part of the solution - I should get the heck out of the way. Apparently - these days - most people don't feel like that (they're more interested in posting photos on social media sites). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville