Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They have an amazing rooftop terrace. It's large, has various sections and even a fire pit.
Yep, that fire pit is pretty sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM

146 posts, read 241,706 times
Quote:
I'm from the big city. Thanks for the recommendation.
I would take a beach condo or apt over the town center ANY day unless all you do everyday is spend money and shop. Probably half the price and close to the water too. There's really not much entertainment around the town center past the commercial stores and a few upscale restaurants. If you want cheaper and more laid back fun, check out the beaches (Jax, Neptune, Atlantic) or Riverside.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Yep, but don't want to own.
Yeah, why own when you can just throw your money away on an overpriced small apartment.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Yeah, why own when you can just throw your money away on an overpriced small apartment.
Not everyone wants to be a home owner. Guess what? No one actually owns their home until the last payment has been made. You're actually just occupying property that's owned by the bank.

My money. My choice.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Not everyone wants to be a home owner. Guess what? No one actually owns their home until the last payment has been made. You're actually just occupying property that's owned by the bank.

My money. My choice.
No one eh? Are 401k accounts stupid too? Some people make the entire payment on the first day and have stuff called assests and investments that make them money.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
No one eh? Are 401k accounts stupid too? Some people make the entire payment on the first day and have stuff called assests and investments that make them money.
So everyone in the world who rents instead of buys is in the wrong? Or are you taking issue with the fact that some people can afford the rent prices in the St Johns Town Center area without blinking and still have money to fund their 401ks?

You also don't know if this is a temporary or permanent move.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the area? Any more links to area apartment complexes?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
So everyone in the world who rents instead of buys is in the wrong? Or are you taking issue with the fact that some people can afford the rent prices in the St Johns Town Center area without blinking and still have money to fund their 401ks?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the area? Any more links to area apartment complexes?
I think renting is a smart move for anyone new to this area. It's easier to leave if you decide you don't like it here. Easier to explore various parts of town in depth if you decide to stay.

I rented my first 2 places after I moved to Florida (although they were in Miami - not JAX). Both had nicer pool complexes/greenery than what I've seen at the 2 larger buildings at the Town Center. And the pool complexes were "social centers" after hours/on the weekends. So I might try to find a nice place with a really nice pool complex in the general area. Perhaps with tennis courts (if you play tennis). A gym - etc. Also - check out the months/days/hours of operation when it comes to anything like a pool. Not an issue in Miami for the most part. But there are some places here that close down for many months in the winter (to save money on pool heating). I don't think it's unreasonable to shut down in January/February - but places should be up and running no later than April.

WRT the 2 places in the Town Center - I like that they're very convenient to lots of restaurants/bars. Walking distance. Food shopping (Publix/Costco). Also - I imagine the Town Center isn't a bad place to walk/run/bike ride early in the morning (and perhaps late in the evening after the stores have closed). The Town Center is also very close to the Brooks Y and at least one public golf course (Windsor Parke). And I think you've mentioned it's close to your job.

One thing that's important in any place IMO is parking. Do you have an assigned space where you can park and then walk under cover to get home? We're in the rainy season now - and it's not unusual to come home late in the afternoon in the middle of a deluge. No fun if you have to park outside - especially if you're bringing home groceries and the like.

BTW - I don't see any problem with renting. And I know it's an increasingly popular option - especially for younger people (although I am definitely not a younger person ). We've had younger neighbors here who honestly didn't know how much it would cost them to run a house (the mortgage is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to expenses). And they didn't last long here

Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm definitely jealous, especially following the statement where I just said I paid cash for my house. Totally jealous of you...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
owning is not for everyone, especially those who sadly bought in 2006 time range.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
There are dozens of decent options in the area...but because I prefer to be able to at least walk to some restaurants and stores, I'd say the only good options are:

The aforementioned 5000 Town, Uptown at St Johns, Esplanade (condos so you'd have to find a unit for lease), Tapestry Park (condos as well), Tattersall at Tapestry Park (a bit farther to walk), Deerwood Lake Lofts, Deerwood Place (Condos) and Montreux (Condos).

Those last three are actual very convenient to walk to Publix, but the Deerwood Lake Lofts aren't available yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville