Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times

Advertisements

it takes my boss an hour to go from Fleming Island to Southside/JTB exit in the 8 o'clock hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:10 PM

50 posts, read 58,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's outrageous you'd claim racism. The crack head girls who approached me were WHITE, btw. And judging from my experience being from Philly (a minority majority city, BTW) I'd say they were actually speed freaks not crack heads but I was using the term colloquially.

Here is one of your posts; I didn't bother to read all your posting history:

As a DOG WALKER/ PET SITTER for four years every day of my life there, 24 hours per day - I guarantee you I have much more familiarity than you do about the crack heads in San Marco. I never said anything about "OVERRUN". But as it happens on the internet, people MUST exaggerate and hyperbolize to make their points. While you are in your little house watching TV at night, it's ME walking the streets. And San Marco is NOT just the cute little "square".

I'm sure you've been in all your friend's homes. How many strangers homes have you been in? I've been in something like >100 strangers homes in the Jax area. I worked downtown too, 24 hours a day.

The fact that you say you could "BIKE" to the grocery store tells it all. I usually have way more purchases that could fit on a bike. I imagine you don't eat produce either because it would be wilted by the time you got home. Warm dairy? YUM. meat? I imagine your wife does all the cooking. That's cute though imagining a 20 year old wanting to bike with his family to the grocery store.

Do you even HAVE a kid? A 20 year old boy no less. You are NOT in the same position as the OP and it appears only ONE of you commutes to work. And I'm betting you WIFE takes care of all the shopping that you can't be bothered doing. OBVIOUSLY a person can do their shopping when they need to be out in the car. We won't even discuss that there a likelihood she won't even be ABLE to find a rental where you're talking about.

Of course San Marco is WALKABLE. The entire ONE STREET of "things". Aside from that if you don't live on the river you can walk down to River Rd and fish with all the other people mobbing the riverbank.

Speaking of the RIVER - the person who sent me to The Strand when I was relocating was a lady who was renting a condo at the LeBaron. ON THE RIVER. She said "You don't want to rent here, it's boring and you can't walk around alone at night and you're too far from the square". I go "WHAT? You don't want to rent your condo?" She said: "I'm just being honest with you; if you can afford it - THATs where I'd be moving".

So that night I drove around and sure enough THAT's where the girls approached me. BEHIND the Euro St Cafe. OH WAIT. Since you live by the SQUARE you probably are NOT AWARE of all the ONE ROOM OLD MOTEL STYLE "apartments" there with transients or the sketchy complex River Run, and their esteemed residents, RIGHT?

I have SEVERAL stories of that nature I won't go into. INCLUDING being followed over the bridge from a concert DIRECTLY INTO San Marco/South bank under the bridge where a TON of sketchy characters were. A HOMELESS mentally impaired guy I KNOW from being a dog walker and I made a direct quick left and high tailed it to the hotel parking lot together.

Seems to ME that YOU are the elitist since you don't associate with the "common people" very much. Everything is sparkly white and clean in YOUR San Marco. Starbucks! Microbreweries!

So YAY. The OP and her kid can spend their entire lives in the house or at the what? 15 or so establishments on the San Marco square.

ME? I'll take The Strand or The Peninsula with actual DIVERSITY from all over the world and gorgeous views...SINCE I HAVE TO DRIVE EVERYWHERE FOR REAL SHOPPING ANYWAY.

I try and give a well rounded FAIR description of all the areas in the urban metro. NOT some idealized version or project my personal preferences - I state my preferences and why.

And it's really hilarious that you are so ~offended by my post. I have been sticking up for Jacksonville for over 5 years on this forum, warts and all. I could have moved my business to my mortgage free condo on the beautiful Intracoastal in Vero Beach at any time... but CHOSE to stay in Jacksonville because I liked it and had a wonderful relationship with all my clients. Regardless of their race and ethnicity. For that matter...what race am I???
Wow.

Clear,Concise and always on point. I am sure the OP appreciates your valuable input...especially on who does the cooking in my family. Thank you.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 PM

410 posts, read 362,275 times
You people who believe San Marco is walkable don't get it- the tiny little square(overrated IMO) is walkable in that you do see lots of people walking there. But to get to the square most DROVE. Driving to the square and then walking around that tiny area is no different than driving to town center and shopping there. How do I know most people drive to the square? Well because nobody is walking through my yard to get there for starters. And second if you look one the feeder and side streets going TO the square you don't see a bunch of foot traffic....which you would if people from San Marco were walking to the square.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Another point- it would be nice if just once when people mention things to do in San Marco the main attraction isn't always walking/biking to bars or to drink at restaurants or breweries. From the descriptions in this forum, you would think the main activity in San Marco is walking to a bar and getting hammered everyday.

All else being equal, would it be nice to be able to walk to a bar and have a drink? Sure....it's something I would do at times. Of course most people in San Marco don't live close enough to make the walk easy(why most drive), but sure if I lived real close it's something i might do once every couple months. But when most people think of activities, something so trivial as being able to walk to a bar is about number 37463 on the list.....behind things like swimming, the beach, golf, sports activities for kids, etc....all things that San Marco lacks relative to other places. The fact that this is mentioned so often as an actual activity is quite sad.....

Now what is a big activity in terms of walking to get alcohol for San Marco residents is all the vagrants who practically live outside the numerous crappy quik stop convenience store wannabe grocery stores.....in San Marco these places seem to be 20 percent head shops, 78 percent wine/beer/malt liquor retailers, and the other 2 percent devoted to stale bread and condoms. Those people buying alcohol at these establishments do view their alcohol purchases as an activity, so I guess that counts sort of

Old 09-18-2014, 06:11 PM

29 posts, read 34,701 times
One conclusion I have come to is that Jacksonville is not Charlotte. While there may not be the same type of community I live in now, I am adaptable and will survive . I let y'all know on Monday of our adventures.
I appreciate all the ideas. FYI this is my current neighborhood Living in Historic Wilmore & South End - Home
Gives you an idea of what I am hoping Jacksonville may have something similar. IF not there is alway the beach or a golf curse community. Picture 29 in House I have helped with is our current abode.
South End Charlotte

Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM

50 posts, read 58,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
Another point- it would be nice if just once when people mention things to do in San Marco the main attraction isn't always walking/biking to bars or to drink at restaurants or breweries. From the descriptions in this forum, you would think the main activity in San Marco is walking to a bar and getting hammered everyday.

All else being equal, would it be nice to be able to walk to a bar and have a drink? Sure....it's something I would do at times. Of course most people in San Marco don't live close enough to make the walk easy(why most drive), but sure if I lived real close it's something i might do once every couple months. But when most people think of activities, something so trivial as being able to walk to a bar is about number 37463 on the list.....behind things like swimming, the beach, golf, sports activities for kids, etc....all things that San Marco lacks relative to other places. The fact that this is mentioned so often as an actual activity is quite sad.....

Now what is a big activity in terms of walking to get alcohol for San Marco residents is all the vagrants who practically live outside the numerous crappy quik stop convenience store wannabe grocery stores.....in San Marco these places seem to be 20 percent head shops, 78 percent wine/beer/malt liquor retailers, and the other 2 percent devoted to stale bread and condoms. Those people buying alcohol at these establishments do view their alcohol purchases as an activity, so I guess that counts sort of
Perhaps you should start a new thread: Why I hate San Marco yet will not move.

Isn't moving to a place that would make you happier be worth any financial hit you may take with related expenses? Think Quality of life first. Life is too short to just complain. Must be exhausting.

By the way, You may want to Read the first post of this thread and then maybe wonder why I specifically mentioned some of the things I did. See if the OP gives you any clues. Look for key words such as Pets, brewery, walk,patio....drink. If volunteering was brought up perhaps I would have brought up cleaning the Mcdonald House....or Wolfson's. If parks were mentioned I likely would talked more about the 14(I think) parks instead of the brief mention. Or helping clean them as part of SMPS.Want to Paint? Play Tennis?Hell, play with fire in the Square (not a joke). Wait, those may be "sketchy kids". Better scratch that one. I could go on all freaking night but am about to take the dogs for their nightly long walk. No wait....must be a lie.

Please note, I am sure I could list a ton of things to do no matter where I lived. I am certainly not saying that San Marco is the best choice for everyone (completely the opposite I would honestly say ). But it is for some of us. I based my response upon the OP.

Quite frankly, if you cannot find something to do(wherever you live), the problem lies with you. Is San Marco the boring piece of the equation? Or you?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8mvr View Post
One conclusion I have come to is that Jacksonville is not Charlotte. While there may not be the same type of community I live in now, I am adaptable and will survive . I let y'all know on Monday of our adventures.
I appreciate all the ideas. FYI this is my current neighborhood Living in Historic Wilmore & South End - Home
Gives you an idea of what I am hoping Jacksonville may have something similar. IF not there is alway the beach or a golf curse community. Picture 29 in House I have helped with is our current abode.
South End Charlotte

Oh i thought maybe you lived in Meyers park or a similar neighborhood. If willmore is what you are looking for, I'd try riverside.

We don't have anything like Meyers park here. We do have something like willmore.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
I have moved around quite a bit and sometimes your expectations are not met when you actually get to the new place and all moved in. You think it will be great,and maybe it's not. I have found it takes about a year or maybe 18 months to truly settle in. Maybe Tacoman needs some more time to adjust. You have to give it a chance. There is always something good in every place you go if you remain open (yes, that can be hard).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I have moved around quite a bit and sometimes your expectations are not met when you actually get to the new place and all moved in. You think it will be great,and maybe it's not. I have found it takes about a year or maybe 18 months to truly settle in. Maybe Tacoman needs some more time to adjust. You have to give it a chance. There is always something good in every place you go if you remain open (yes, that can be hard).
Actually, Taco was hating on San Marco pretty hard...(and Jax in general) BEFORE he moved to San Marco. I was pretty surprised by the decision. I wish he had chosen the SJTC or PV Beach area. Seems like he'd be complaining a little bit less.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:10 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8mvr View Post
South End Charlotte
Oh Wilmore is what Springfield here is hoping to get to, minus the light rail nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville