Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 AM

77 posts, read 112,232 times

Advertisements

Please feel free to PM me if that is better. I know this topic has been discussed, but I have some specific questions I'd like to see if there is anyone here that can help/answer.

St. Johns schools

Do they have a gifted/talented program? How does it work (pull out, isolated class?)

Do the track students and/or group student by academic level at a young age?

How large are their early grade level classes (I know what it says online, I want the truth)? I'm looking specifically at Julington Creek, Durbin and Hickory for now. I keep looking toward this area so those are the schools that keep coming up.

Is communication from the school well handled on an overall level? What about on an individual student level?

Do you feel that your children are safe and well cared for in these schools?

I've also looked at the Mandarin area and the Fleming Island area. Any input on the above related to schools is also welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM

82 posts, read 153,683 times
With regard to the gifted program, in St. Johns County, each school has its own and I'm told the setup is very similar at each. All students are tested for Giftedness in 2nd grade. If a student already has a gifted EP (educational plan) earlier, usually due to private testing the child's family did on their own initiative earlier on, they will start receiving gifted services earlier. Generally, in K and 1st grade it's pull out gifted resource for a certain period of time. Starting in 2nd grade, there'll be a gifted class. If it's less than 18 students (the class size limit at the elementary level) they will "blend" the class with other students who have the highest scores on the previous year's assessments. If it is more than 18 students, there'll be more than 1 gifted class.

They always try to keep the gifted class or classes as close to the maximum # of students possible because if they didn't, they'd be hiring more teachers for the rest of the students...for example, if there's 100 students in the grade, and only 5 are gifted. If they had a class of 5 students, they'd need to have 6 other classes, or 7 classes total (and salaries for 7 teachers) but if they "blended" the class by adding up to 13 high achieving students to the gifted class, then they'd only need 6 teachers total for that grade 100/18= 5 10/18. i.e., 6 classes.

I've also heard that some schools start the "gifted blended" classrooms as early as first grade as enough students have already been identified as gifted earlier on. Last I heard, the only school with that setup is PVPV Rawlings elementary in Ponte Vedra.

As part of their annual staffing assessment, I believe each spring, each school determines how many gifted students will need gifted services the following school year and make sure they have/hire enough teachers that are Gifted endorsed. In Florida, teacher's have to be certified in the area they work in, but there are also additional voluntary endorsements teachers can obtain. One of these endorsements is "Gifted." All gifted classes in St. Johns County are taught by teachers who have the gifted endorsement.

I have a gifted child in 2nd grade in another school very close to the schools you mentioned. If you'd like more feedback from me please feel free to PM me.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM

164 posts, read 227,777 times
In regard to Patriot Oaks (Durbin), the second grade class size for my child is 18 students.

Not sure about the gifted program questions.

Communication with the teacher via direct email and phone has been outstanding.

I feel my child is safe and well cared for.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 PM

77 posts, read 112,232 times
Oh thank you for the great replies so far! I may be PMing you for more details about GT program.

A couple more questions if you don't mind:

Do you feel welcome in your children's schools?

What about the classroom? Are you welcome there?

FYI - I have one in the GT program here which is an isolated classroom (1st grade). Her twin brother is in a regular classroom. I can visit her class, help with lessons, and just be present helping in general for hours at a time and regularly. My son's teacher will not allow parents into her classroom. I am so frustrated and afraid of another such situation. His class is huge for 1st grade with 29 students, 3 special needs and 5 IEPs. We are teaching him everything at home so he can pass his quizzes on Friday and keep his scores up but we are just shocked by the difference in the same school in the same grade.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:33 PM

164 posts, read 227,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersmoon View Post
A couple more questions if you don't mind:

Do you feel welcome in your children's schools?
Yes definitely. You just sign up to get your background check or whatever and can go have lunch with your child, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersmoon View Post
What about the classroom? Are you welcome there?
Yes, there are sign up sheets to volunteer in the classroom. Not sure how it would go if you were trying to go there every day just because. Probably depends on your relationship with the teacher as well as your contributions while you are there and the lesson plan in general.

We simply volunteer for things (my wife has homework this weekend - hahaha ) and let the teacher request what she wants help with in or out of the classroom. I think this makes it easy for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville