Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Jacksonville with my family (wife and 8mo old) for work. I have a greatly restricted search because I have a pit mix (and only about $1k budget until we sell our home), and not many places will let him in. I will be working in the baymeadows area, and the village at baymeadows will allow him. The reviews online for this complex is all over the place (some sites are 4* others are 2*), can anyone give me some input into the complex and the baymeadows area (safe?) in general?

Also, we have found multiple places that will allow him outside the beltway on the south/southwest side (orange park area). If I rent one of those homes (also is it a safe area), what would my commute be like?

Thanks for all the help.

Edit: If anyone knows of any homes or townhomes (2br2ba) that would fit my criteria for rent, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
The area in general is safe

Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
I have never lived at the Villages of Baymeadows but I worked there on a contract job for about a year. That was 3 years ago. I worked in the Casa Delmar, Casa Luna and Casa Del Sol complexes and at that time I would have lived at any of them. If they will let you have a dog and you are that close to your work, I would take it. Go with a shorter lease so once you get here and acclimated to the area and you could move when your lease is up if you have to.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Baymeadows area is generally safe, although there certainly are some sketchy apartment complexes.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,020 times
Hows the drive from Orange Park over? We are trying to get some back up plans in place so when we come down and tour if its a big ole Nope, we have other options.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim920 View Post
Hows the drive from Orange Park over?
If you try the dive during rush hour (7-9A.M. & 4-7P.M.)) it sux, but at other
times it's not to bad. Blanding Blvd in Orange Park sux most of the time, and
somewhat better since reconstruction is San Jose in Mandarin.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim920 View Post
Hows the drive from Orange Park over? We are trying to get some back up plans in place so when we come down and tour if its a big ole Nope, we have other options.
At normal rush hour, Orange Park traffic is atrocious on a good day. Add the Buckman Bridge (I295) to that commute and you have increased atrocious 10 fold. Now if you just love OP that much then by all means go for it. Unless you drive on off rush times, prepare for a stressful commute.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
The southside is a safe area for Jax, but still has crime. You wont find a crimeless place in Jax unless youre talking top end gated community. There is a large ethnic presence here which adds diversity and good food The negative comments your seeing about apartment complexes generally stem from the fact that most of the complexes around here are circa 70's/80's and haven't been kept up to date. Youll have crappy apartment managers anywhere you go. If you live on the Southside the good thing is you can get almost anywhere you wish to go relatively quickly due to its proximity to JTB, 295, and 95.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
In regards to Orange Park I grew up there and unfortunately due to the rapid expansion and only having two major roads to handle the traffic flow....Id NEVER recommend anyone move there. Its only going to get worse unless they come up with some magical way of adding a third highway in the middle of an already developed burb.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I don't know a lot of these suburbs THAT well...but I'd say that instead of Orange Park you should look south of Baymeadows to either the Julington Creek developments or Bartram Park area. Both of those I'd imagine will offer the same kind of cheap but new suburban development that you would find in OP, but with a better commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville