Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,502,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Winning fixes everything. Put out a good product nearly every year and you'll see fan support for the Jags increase exponentially. I don't think Jacksonville is ready for another pro franchise but I could see it happening with continued growth in population here. My guess is a pro soccer team would be a good fit but I could see baseball doing well too.
Winning fixes nothing, Oh you see baseball doing well??

Suns Win 6-1 In Game Three To Earn Sixth Southern League Title In Franchise History | Jacksonville Suns News

The Jacksonville team won a CHAMPIONSHIP, the city DIDNT come out.

Now we have imported dancing angels at our Football stadium..the team is 0-5

I'll let yall continue this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM

410 posts, read 355,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "Fan Support" but being in a small market will always have Jacksonville behind most other NFL franchises in terms of attendance, product sales, etc. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying though.
Um no that's not how the nfl works in terms of marketing/branding. The smallest market team(Green Bay) has perhaps the best fan support and is one of the best known teams. Even when they were big time losers still awesome support. Some very large markets(San Diego the most prominent) has lackluster support, even when winning.

In the NFL there is no relationship between the two.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 PM

461 posts, read 695,946 times
Read an article about the Jaguars in the Bloomberg Businessweek. Jaguars have poor support because they are based in a small market where 50% of the residents are not Floridians and have allegiances to other teams. That and the team is relatively new.

I'd love for Jacksonville to get an NBA team as I don't follow any of the current ones, but no way it will happen.

Best bet is MLS as clearly this area is soccer crazy with the attendance for the US national team games. Time will tell.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times
NBA, NHL and MLB require a whole lot more corporate support as there are 41+ home games per season, most of which would fall on random weeknights.

For getting one of the big five team sports leagues, I'd say that none are likely but MLS would be the best shot. Only tough sell there is that Orlando and Miami will already have teams in close proximity, and the league still has many other potential suitors that have been lining up for a shot at a franchise. But no doubt that a team here would have the best chance of being successful over an NBA, NHL or MLB squad.

As for the Jags, I'll continue to say that I am confident they're here to stay for the next decade or so, and the future beyond that has everything to do with how the franchise and fan base grows over that time.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,492,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post

Suns Win 6-1 In Game Three To Earn Sixth Southern League Title In Franchise History | Jacksonville Suns News

It's the southern league that number is more than any team averaged during the year.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,271,655 times
Quote:

Are you really attempting to compare minor league baseball to the biggest sports league on the planet right now? Most people probably have never even heard of the Suns here in Jax. They could go 100-0 and they'd still only make the back page of the sports section here.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,271,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
Um no that's not how the nfl works in terms of marketing/branding. The smallest market team(Green Bay) has perhaps the best fan support and is one of the best known teams. Even when they were big time losers still awesome support. Some very large markets(San Diego the most prominent) has lackluster support, even when winning.

In the NFL there is no relationship between the two.
Now this, lol. The Green Bay Packers have been around since before The Great Depression. The Jags have only been here for, what, 20 or so years? Apples to oranges. If you're going to compare NFL franchises, the Carolina Panthers would be a better comparison as they arrived at the same time as the Jaguars are in in a somewhat similar sized market.

Regardless, in terms of ticket sales and annual attendance the Jags are consistently in the low to mid 90s percentage wise of attendance capacity in their stadium, which happens to hold more capacity than teams such as Pittsburgh, Detroit and Indy.

So while the team may suck, I don't see any threat of Jacksonville losing their franchise any time soon. Especially if all of this young talent currently on the roster gels and starts winning games. Like I said, winning fixes everything.........unless you're a minor league baseball team.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 AM

164 posts, read 227,175 times
Quote:
To answer your thread...H3LL NO!! Its not the population but the personality and culture of Jacksonville. You can look at this forum as a great example of the Jacksonville culture. Its boring and bland..and I dont say that as a diss or to be negative. Jacksonville has a lot of young people with some energy, but also has a lot of the older bland types.
I don't consider myself boring and bland, but I do not goto sporting events. I'll watch part of an occasional pro football / hockey game but I have a hard time getting on the bandwagon.

It's a game in which people make millions to play - which is quite sad in reality.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,502,165 times
Jacksonville can NOT support a 2nd major league team. Im curious is how long fans will have interest for the Jags.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,336,918 times
Quote:
Jacksonville can NOT support a 2nd major league team. Im curious is how long fans will have interest for the Jags.
Well it's been 20 years now, and overall the interest doesn't seem to be waning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville