Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 04:48 AM

116 posts, read 157,573 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice really, my wife and I will be going to our first NFL game, I'm from Ireland so just started following this season, she is a Dolphins fan, so I kinda adopted it too, will that be a problem? will be going to the browns game, but cheering on the Jags - hoping we will get to see a bit of Johnny Manziel....getting sacked lol

I'm just wondering if it will be a problem, us being Dolphins fans, but cheering on the jags - I'm only visiting for a couple of days and said we'd drive up to Jax as we loved it when we went to the country superfest! Really liked the everbank.

I am guessing parking is going to be a different more difficult beast, we are staying in Orange park, so plan on driving in. I kinda wanted to get the tailgate experience, but never done it before don't know whats involved, just show up and drink beer? We only have a CR-V, not a truck though, will there be trouble if people find out we are not Jags fans? I want to go for the experience and make a day of it

So any advice would be brilliant, on parking, tailgating, fans and cheap jerseys for the game!

Thanks guys

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
I've never been to a Jags game, so I can't help with your questions ... but I am very curious about the answers! My perception is that Jags fans are not as "mean" to non-fans as they might be at other stadiums (if meanness does exist and isn't just a myth). My thought is that since so many are transplants from somewhere else that although they may cheer on the Jaguars, they also are still fans from wherever they came (Steelers, Packers, Jets, Patriots, etc.).

As for tailgating, I know that at some other stadiums fans arrive at the crack of dawn to get their parking spot (paying through the nose for it) and setting up. Some set-ups are elaborate to include gazebo tents and big grills, but other set-ups are merely bag chairs and a cooler. I'd be interested to hear how Jacksonville does it and how much the parking costs.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 AM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
How would anyone know you're a Dolphins fan? Do you plan on wearing Dolphins jerseys to a Jags/Browns game???

The NFL has had problems with unruly, intoxicated fans in stadiums but I don't think that would apply here and probably not for a Jags/Browns game that will likely have the stadium only 60% full. You'll be fine.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:03 AM

116 posts, read 157,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
How would anyone know you're a Dolphins fan? Do you plan on wearing Dolphins jerseys to a Jags/Browns game???

The NFL has had problems with unruly, intoxicated fans in stadiums but I don't think that would apply here and probably not for a Jags/Browns game that will likely have the stadium only 60% full. You'll be fine.
They wouldnt know we were dolphins fans, but they would no we werent Jags fans? Like I cant tell you anything about the jags to be honest. But it sounds like we will have no problem, and I like a drink too, so I think I will fit in and can take a joke. Thanks

Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 AM

294 posts, read 340,589 times
You will have a great time. I am a Bengals fan but root for the Jags when they aren't playing each other. The tailgating experience is great here. Not as crazy as other places I have been. Pretty much everyone is nice even if you are wearing other team's colors, unlike other places where that would be a very bad idea- Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc.

I would get there around 10-10:30 and park in one of the bigger lots southwest of the stadium. Set up your tailgate and enjoy. Go to the stadium early and walk around. The stadium experience is great. They do a good job offering different activities, food, etc.

What my wife and I want to do one of these times is drive to Riverside or Downtown, park, walk around and grab some lunch, then bike to the game. They have bike parking and valet bike parking. Just another idea...

I always leave a little early to avoid traffic since I am not a diehard Jags fan- and unfortunately the game is probably out of the Jags reach by then anyway.....Who Dey!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
If you park on the southbank or downtown west of Maxwell house you can easily find parking and take the water taxi, bike taxi, or even walk to the stadium. I don't mind walking so it's never a problem for me. The only issue then would be setting up your own tailgate. Not sure if that's what you were planning to do or not.
Whenever I've tailgated I've always had one, or sometimes multiple groups I knew already so I've never personally tried to just randomly join people. But we've had plenty of stragglers welcomed into our tailgates and based on observation I find many people friendly enough to offer up food, drink and conversation to strangers.

On top of that, there are always festivities available on the field directly south of the stadium that are open to all. Kids games, food and drink for sale, bands playing, etc. And if you can find the bold city brigade and tell them you're cheering on the Jags then you'll make some rowdy and fun friends immediately.

As for your dolphins fandom, the fact that theyre not the opponent that week and you're cheering for the jags means you'll be embraced as a de facto Jaguars fan. Don't worry about it. Even the Browns fans in attendance won't be badly treated.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville