Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 11,385 times

Advertisements

I noticed this question gets asked quite a bit on this board, but I was hoping I could get a few pointers on here. I'm a college student set to graduate in May and I'll begin working in downtown Jacksonville in July 2008. I'm 21 years old and I'll be 22 when I get settled in JAX. Do you any pointers on where a young single guy should move, with reasonable rent payments, and of course a safe area in terms of crime. I'd like to be in an area where there's some good sports bars nearby, etc. Stuff to do for the younger crowd . Any ideas on where I should look? I'm planning on making a trip down in about a month, so any information you give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Craig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM

725 posts, read 2,560,333 times
Our 26 year old would not live anywhere but the beach. That's where the younger crowd likes to live because of the night life, city events, sports bars and restaurants. You can find an apartment anywhere at the beach by looking in the Florida Times Union ad section, lots of options and price ranges, and most are privately owned. But its a pain in the morning traffic to get to downtown. I'd suggest living at any apartment off Gate Parkway, like Village Walk, which would put you halfway to downtown and halfway to the beach. The college is nearby so the college students are around. Sneakers Sports Bar, the Town Center is close, Times Union Grill, Outback, Coffee House, Cigar bar, and a TinselTown movie theatre is nearby. It would make your commute easier in the morning. There are less expensive apartments all up and down the Southside Boulevard. Some are old and therefore not as expensive. Don't rent on Old Baymeadows Road.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 AM

541 posts, read 2,278,340 times
Craig,

I think Five Points/Riverside is the best community for people your (our) age. It is a place where you will see mostly young people walking around, sitting in front of Starbucks, outside of restaurants, shopping, in Memorial Park, etc. The only catch is this: there are three main groups there: artsy/punk/goth people, homosexuals, and just out of college young professionals. So you need to be able to accept/be around the alternative lifestyles (assuming you don't live one yourself of course). But the great thing about it is that it is close to downtown, plenty of parks, walkable restaurants, walkable coffee shops, groceries, etc.

Other cool areas although a little older crowd are San Marco and Avondale. These neighborhoods also have character and are walkable. Downtown has some great apartments with great views, but downtown is pretty dead on the weekends in terms of food and groceries. You will probably need to drive out of downtown for that. But downtown does have a little row of nightlife on East Bay St. (mark's, TSI, dive bar...and a pizza place Nicky G's.). Also, downtown has the Landing which has live bands, some bars, fast food, and a sushi/korean restaurant.

There are a lot of young people that live along near the Baymeadows/Soutside Blvd. intersection, but it may be a challenge to meet people there because you need to drive to everything and everything is a strip mall. It is an environment conducive to getting in and getting out....not lounging around and chatting like you find in urban areas.

Also, along Gate Pkwy near Southside Blvd. there are some new apts near the St. John's Town Center. In my mind they are overpriced, but there are young professionals there too. Same scenario as above: drive to local strip mall-get goods-drive back to apartment.....hard to interact scenario. On the other hand, the St. John's Town Center is a cool outdoor mall where there are tons of young faces.

PM me if you need any other specific info.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 AM

702 posts, read 2,176,478 times
Default Riverside

I would agree with vdecapio, Riverside is a GREAT area for a young professional in Jax. It is close to downtown, has everything from studio apartments to lofts to rent, great night life and is strong in the arts. San Marco would be good to consider also, just say a way from Emerson st. It is a little closer into town just outside of the San Marco area. I would have to disagree with the earlier post about the beaches, it would be about 45 mins. to an hour commute each day to get into downtown, through construction zones as well. One thing you will learn about Jax is we are growing so quick, that the road construction is insane. It seems as though they just move cones around! I have seen some areas that will go under construction and the very next year will get torn up again! But you will love it here!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 AM

725 posts, read 2,560,333 times
I agree with you, that would be better. I don't know of any apartment complexes by name. I guess the best bet would be looking in the newspaper. The area where the new Publix and Starbucks is nice, and its always nice to walk near the river. The last time I was there they opened numerous art galleries and lots of little eateries. Always a fun day over there.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 26,957 times
Jax has some nice places, but why leave NC? Most people are leaving to go to NC, and you are doing the opposite, LOL.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphone View Post
Jax has some nice places, but why leave NC? Most people are leaving to go to NC, and you are doing the opposite, LOL.
I think people are leaving other parts of FL for NC. People are leaving Jax for NC due to the supposed cost savings and job market. However, it won't be that way for long.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,178 times
I think that San Marco, Town Center area off Southside, and Riverside would be great for you. However, the beach is a little haul to downtown due to the traffic. I would say hang at the beach, live elsewhere.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM

26 posts, read 26,957 times
You are right Lew Lew, NC is changing rapidly. I was visiting a while ago, and couldnt believe how much places have changed. Especially the bigger cities that used to be slow and "go with the flow-type" cities..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphone View Post
You are right Lew Lew, NC is changing rapidly. I was visiting a while ago, and couldnt believe how much places have changed. Especially the bigger cities that used to be slow and "go with the flow-type" cities..
Well, I love NC to death, born and raised around here, but I got a really good job offer in Florida (they gave my a bunch of cities to choose from in Florida) and of course I choose JAX because it was Northern Florida and the commute home wouldn't be as bad. Also JAX growth in certain areas is good for the work I'll be doing. I'm looking forward to moving down to Jacksonville though!

So the consensus I'm getting is that Southside/Riverside/Five Points is where I should look? I would like to find an area where it's somewhat easy to get out and meet people. Are there any particular areas around this area thats best for that? I really appreciate the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville