Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,261 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a Finance professional and currently living in Singapore. We are migrating to US( Green Card Holders) and plan to move to Jacksonville, Florida in end Dec 2014. Is it difficult to find a Finance Job in Jacksonville? How about the quality of Education over there? My girl is 14 years old and we would like to find a good high school for her. Appreciate if you can give me some do and don't in Jacksonville?

Thanks

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Actually their is decent market for people who work in banks and other financial type careers so maybe you should check out this website. https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx . As far as schools go look at the San Marco/Avondale, Mandarin, Orange Park and the Arlington area. If you don't mind a longer commute to work you should check St. Johns County Nocatee community.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,261 times
Hi,

Many thanks for your help. I am a Burmese and would like to find out how to link up with Burmese community in Jacksonville.

My wife is a Dentist and she would like to continue her career. Does anyone know how Florida accept foreign dentists? Any bridging course, registration exam etc,.?

Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Actually there are a lot of Burmese Refugees in Jax and most live in the Southside in the zip codes of 32207, 32216, 32217, and 32246. Yes Florida accepts dentists from all over but you have to get certified here and probably take an exam to get started. Jacksonville a strange new world for refugees from Burma | jacksonville.com click this link

Also regarding your wife click this link
Florida - Foreign Trained Dentists - The Ultimate Guide if you have any more questions regarding that call the number at the bottom.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM

53 posts, read 104,271 times
There are a lot of Financial institutions here in Jax but try to stay away from BlackKnight Financial (formerly called LPS). Personally you are kind of tied to Chase/ Bank of America/ Black Knight/ Fidelity, Merrill Lynch/Ever Bank/PNC. Compared to Jacksonville, Florida, I would look at Charlotte, NC area as it has a lot of Financial companies and has a much better school system than Florida. In general the school system in Florida is not great, but St John's county has a good school system here in Jacksonville. Most of the companies I had listed are located in the Southside-Gateparkway-Downtown areas which do not come under St John's county.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef22 View Post
There are a lot of Financial institutions here in Jax but try to stay away from BlackKnight Financial (formerly called LPS). Personally you are kind of tied to Chase/ Bank of America/ Black Knight/ Fidelity, Merrill Lynch/Ever Bank/PNC. Compared to Jacksonville, Florida, I would look at Charlotte, NC area as it has a lot of Financial companies and has a much better school system than Florida. In general the school system in Florida is not great, but St John's county has a good school system here in Jacksonville. Most of the companies I had listed are located in the Southside-Gateparkway-Downtown areas which do not come under St John's county.
North Carolina system is not in good shape and lot of people are upset about it . Teachers are treated like crap there from what I hear and it has gotten worse with the new governor. You should really think before you start sprouting off nonsense trust me look at NC board they are not happy with were the school system is going. Florida has gotten better to a degree and I consider our schools average.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
North Carolina system is not in good shape and lot of people are upset about it . Teachers are treated like crap there from what I hear and it has gotten worse with the new governor. You should really think before you start sprouting off nonsense trust me look at NC board they are not happy with were the school system is going. Florida has gotten better to a degree and I consider our schools average.
I have done my research on either places (Charlotte and Florida), please don't give me this story about Florida is "better". What determines Florida schools better and what is the level of competition? In general the school systems in the North are far better, so please stop this "sprouting off non-sense" about schools being good here. If you feel Florida has got a great school system, then you are a frog in a pit who thinks "this is my world and all is the best over here". Go out and explore and look at the school systems before saying things like "Florida has gotten better". From what I have heard from people whom I know and who are in NC, they are happy with the schools there. Even St John's county school system is probably "good" or "good enough" for Florida standards. I wouldn't bank on and laud the Florida school system, please compare it to the rest of the US...atleast start comparing it to NC or Massachusetts, Chicago. A friend of mine who went to UNF briefly said "it is very easy to get in here, I don't know why people make a big deal about it"; sorry but that also speaks volumes. Not just UNF, can you please list out a decent university in Florida where we can send our kids to for their UG and Grad School?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM

164 posts, read 227,760 times
The St Johns school district is better than the one we came from in MN which was a very good district.

All depends on your criterion for defining "good". Test scores, %s, etc don't define a good school district to me. If the district addresses the needs of your child appropriately, then it is good, if not, then it is not so good.

The statement "schools in the (insert geographic region here) are better / worse then schools in the (insert geographic region here)" is a pointless statement to make. It needs to be defined at the district or school level.

With that said, depending on this completely arbitrary ranking which so many people like to see:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best...hools-rankings

#4 - MA
#13 - FL
#21 - IL
#23 - NC

See how the link and info I posted is related to high school as stated in the OP?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:26 AM

I agree with you Ruger20 but based on a friend who has taught high-school and was also a counselor at Chicago Public Schools and also worked here in Duval, the verdict is the schools in Chicago (Suburbs) are better. "Good" should be defined as a school which has a good curriculum and not some "go and color for today" and "calculate additions and subtractions using a calculator". If we have a class where 80% of the students are getting D's and C's and you have a handful getting B's and if that's the kind of competition kids have but the standard is lowered and so even a "good" district is of no use. I honestly have doubts on how someone can really learn something in the Florida school system even if you go to a Magnet/Private school. Probably we need to send our kids to the public schools and give some extra home-schooling when needed or just home-school all together.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM

164 posts, read 227,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef22 View Post
I honestly have doubts on how someone can really learn something in the Florida school system even if you go to a Magnet/Private school. Probably we need to send our kids to the public schools and give some extra home-schooling when needed or just home-school all together.
My son is in school in St. John's and the curriculum is very good I feel. Phonics, spelling words, addition, subtraction, arrays, etc.

Again, this may be limited to the school / district - but broad generalizations are simply inaccurate.

We are involved with his school work on a daily basis as any parent should be to ensure that he completes it as well as any homework.

I tend to think there is as much of a problem with parent participation in education as there is with some of the schools / districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville