Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 AM

555 posts, read 892,489 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the word on Amelia. We are looking for a more politically moderate area. We know and like a lot of political/religious conservatives, but I need someplace where I am not the only "green" voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 AM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
The problem with more progressive areas in Florida is they tend to be in very urban. While this fits the walking part of your requirement it does not really mesh with the green space aspect. Your list is very much the list I was working off of when I was doing the same research as you 7 years ago. My number one issue was being able to walk to everything. I used this web site a lot https://www.walkscore.com/ it is really helpful it getting you looking in the right areas. I spent 2 winters down south poking around into various communities looking for what I wanted. I suspect the places I had on my list and visited may be on yours.

ocean springs MS
Fair Hope AL
Apalachicola FL
Clearwater/Dunedin FL
Anna Maria Island FL
Winter Park, FL
Mt. Dora FL
Deland FL
Stuart FL
Coco Beach FL
St Augustine, FL
Fernandina Beach FL

I also spent years traveling both coasts south of Tampa so I have been to sanibel, marco, naples, venice, boca, vero, jupitar, hobe sound the keys, etc. Each place has it's pros and cons. Some of the nicest places would have been financially out of reach for us. Another factor the weighted heavily in my decision... what is the traffic like? I am at a point in life I am simply unwilling to wait in traffic. Not healthy for me, or anyone riding with me. Much of south Florida has simply fallen into the overdeveloped concrete endless shopping mall syndrome. While your trying to get to some hideous Wal-Mart there is the added benefit of taking an hour to go 3 miles to get there. I just can't live with that... so many areas did not get a passing grade on that account.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the list, squarpeg. Deland, Mt. Dora, and Winter Park are on our list of possibles. I grew up in Ft. Myers and fled because of the traffic and urban blight it had forty years ago (before I even knew the term). My spouse went to New College, but the nice areas of Sarasota are out of our price range.

Were it not for winter, we would never consider leaving Ohio, as much of it has everything we need, including great urban park systems and decent mass transit. (But then there's February....)

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Rebek56, did your spouse like New College? I just heard of it recently...sounds intriguing. What do most of the graduates do?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:38 AM

Snuffybear, he LOVED it (but note that he graduated around 1980). New College does require students who are pretty self-directed, though, as there are no grades and students work intensively with faculty to design projects. The graduates he has stayed in touch with (not many) have done a variety of things: one is a doctor, one a researcher/writer for the Florida legislature, one an environmental educator and professional musician. My husband just retired from the University of Toledo math department.

Here is a statement from the New College website:

[SIZE=2]Areas of Study

All studies at New College lead to the Bachelor of Arts. Students may concentrate in a specific discipline or they may design, with faculty approval, an interdisciplinary concentration. The faculty offers the following areas of study: Anthropology, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Classics, Economics, Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, Gender Studies, History, International and Area Studies, Languages, Literature, Mathematics, Medieval & Renaissance Studies, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Policy, Religion, Sociology, Theatre, Urban Studies.
Elementary through advanced studies in French, German, Russian, Spanish, Latin and Greek language and literature are available.
Study at New College leads to a wide range of careers. Graduates from New College go to medical, dental and law school. A large number do graduate work in the arts and sciences, leading to teaching, research and careers in government and industry. Others obtain advanced degrees in business, education, religion and architecture. Those not going on for advanced degrees have launched successful careers in journalism, fine arts, retailing, management, finances, environmental planning and a host of other fields. Quite a few have become entrepreneurs, founding businesses of their own based on skills acquired while students.
[/SIZE]

Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Interesting, thanks!!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 PM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
Ok well not that you asked but I am always happy to give my opinion ) Just my impression, doesn't mean it is true...

Deland - A town that is trying real hard, but has not quite made it. They have historic places/architecture but a bit of a gritty feel, maybe they will make it, but we were not sure. The people we met were great, there were quite affordable and very cool older homes on the market when we were looking...we are into the historic thing....so this place fit our profile however there seemed to be some serious crime and we drove through some very bad looking areas. Things seemed a bit sketchy so we passed.

Mt Dora - A beautiful small town. Sits on a little lake. It certainly fit our general criteria. Fairly artsy. The reason it was rejected is it was just to "old" for us. Well it felt that way to me. Very slow. I was 50 when I was looking and I just couldn't see myself living in that town till I was at least 75..nice though, worth a look.

Winter Park - Another very pretty little town, the downtown is actually quite small. Won't take long to explore. They have the Tiffany museum there. We happen to be art glass collectors and loved that, really great. They have a big and beautiful common...well that is what we call them up north, maybe they call it a "green" down here. Anyway, that is really a highlight of the town. The neighborhoods are really nice and upscale. Orlando is close so you have that as a major city close by . Lots of positives about the place.

We looked at lots of places not only in Florida but through the deep south, some of the better ones that stood out were St. francisville LA. a gorgeous very small town ...so pretty. Stopped there for a couple nights, great bar in town, great music, first time this yankee ever saw the "two step" what fun...Natchez Mississippi, once the richest city in america, like savannah deemed "to pretty to burn". It is all still there. sitting in a time warp along the blues highway. I almost bought a home there for $35,000 such a cute place. Sadly the town main street is largely defunct, there seems to be no culture. Lots of crime, serious black white race issues. Such a shame should be a national treasure. We just couldn't see ourselves there with the problems that exists.....oxford Mississippi a pretty college, I am not sure I have a college town in me anymore but I will say one thing, great music, everywhere, every night. To cold for me in the winter....Valdosta Georgia, no where special, just a regular American town, they have a nice main street, it is fairly warm in the winter and I have to say for the two days I spent there everyone I met was just so nice that alone made me consider moving there. Beaufort South Carolina, a nice little town, cool old homes....savannah GA everyone loves it but too gritty for me to live there.. I could go on and on.. A couple things I did end up discovering in my search regarding Florida, and I am sure I will offend people with this, but Florida is a really ugly state. Let's just be truthful, there are really only a few reasons everyone is here. It is the weather in the winter, and the water. I suppose if your rich we can add tax advantage, but since I am not rich that left weather and water. Let's say you move to winter park, well your giving up 50% of the good factor, no water. Which is why we chose an island to live on. If your willing to give up the water, then you need to closely examine "the weather" if you want to be real warm in the winter then you have to be in south florida, if your willing to simply have a mild or short lived ( no snow) winter, now you have opened up a whole other list of possibilities. Of other states and towns. Anyway, that is my 2 cents if your coming to Florida don't forget the water.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks, squarpeg. My spouse is totally not outdoorsy--reasonable rent and access to places to play are his primary criteria. We are both iffy about owning in Florida because of the sinkholes, possible sea level rise (though at our ages, that is probably not a major concern), and aquifer depletion. I am the one who needs good green space (LOVE the Metroparks in Ohio, where we are now) and plenty of volunteer opportunities. The search will no doubt continue....

Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Does anyone know anything about Anastasia Island? There seem to be some reasonably-priced rentals there and lots of amenities.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
My husband and i moved to Anastasia Island from Michigan 18 years ago when we retired. We have loved every minute of our life here! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville