Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,671,574 times

Advertisements

We have 2 wonderful, wonderful dogs. But they are starting to fight each other. Nasty fights. So unfortunately one has to go. We've never been in this situation before. We've had dogs for 35 years. We almost always had 2 dogs, never had problems, and our dogs have lived to ripe old ages.

But we can't have a situation where at any second the dogs might start going at each other.

So, we don't believe we have a friend or relative that will want one. But we want which ever dog goes, to go into a loving family.

We obviously don't want to put one into a shelter where they might sit forever (or worse) and we hear horror stories about people taking pets and using them as bait dogs in fights.

So any advice on how to approach this?

This is tough for us. It will be a real Sophie's Choice as they are both great dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Also post your dilemma on the Dog Forum //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/. Although members are all over the world, they may be able to help you figure this out. What they'll ask is breeds, ages, how long they've been together, when this started, and have they been to the vet to rule out a medical problem.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 AM

ok. Done

Here are pics and video of one of them from when we adopted her about 3 years ago

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23284243

Last edited by Newporttom; 05-04-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM

75 posts, read 103,555 times
I have not moved to Jacksonville yet as my job transfer will be in July of this year. However, I am a foster mom for southern shelter dogs that we bring up from the south so that they will be adopted in New England. I have just started to research rescue groups in the Jacksonville area as I want to continue working with shelter dogs once I arrive in July. I know of one rescue, so far, and that is Wags and Whiskers in St. Augustine. You may want to give them a call and see if they will take an owner surrender. You can find other rescues by going on petfinder.com and clicking on the purple tab at the top that says "shelters and rescues" and entering Jacksonville. A rescue or a no kill shelter is the ideal situation for rehoming a dog. Please, please, do not advertise your as a "free to good home." in craigslist or the newspaper. People are getting these dogs for bait dogs or flipping them for money.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM

Assuming nothing comes up, my plan is to take to local humane society which is a no-kill shelter.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:15 AM

272 posts, read 1,001,643 times
You can also call around to some vet clinics. They might be able to recommend foster's for your dog. DO NOT put on craigslist. I've heard horror stories of some people claiming to want a family pet, but then turn around and use the dogs for fighting.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Not doing Craigslist. Have an indication that Rescue place might take her back. Waiting to hear from them.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:43 PM

75 posts, read 103,555 times
That is great if she was rescue dog originally. Most rescues require that you have to give the dog back to them. Hope it works out for you.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Talked to rescue place. We are taking her back Friday. Rescue place said placements are slow now so it may be a while. That hurts because reason we chose her is because we thought she would be swooped up quickly. She would still go faster than other dog. Rescue place is kind of out in boonies 2 hours from Jax.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM

Followup... on Friday I took her to the rescue place. Strange mix of emotions. Glad that I know both dogs are in a situation where no one will get hurt. We wonder if we gave up the wrong dog (I'm sure we would feel that either way). She has a very large area to herself which shares a fence with another area with another dog. She has her own shelter. But she's used to being indoors in air-conditioned comfort and sleeping on a bed.

Home seems super quiet with one dog, the other dog is super subdued.

The rescue place which is very rural says adoptions have slowed because the surrounding counties will periodically have mega-adoption fairs where they have free dogs and that eliminates demand.

A female veterinarian that has a farm/horses is coming today to look at some other dog, and if for some reason she doesn't like the dog she is looking at they will show her my dog. Part of me says I hope the vet takes her, part of me says if she takes her......"it's final, there's no going back".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville