Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:50 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times

Advertisements

Adjuster (and roofing company) will be out tomorrow (Thursday at 9). LOTS of houses in Julington Creek are getting the roofs done. When they do that they place flyers on the nearby doors. They don't cold call.

I do not think they are trying to submit a mass number of claims and to get a few thru. They simply know the rules as they stand now and are taking advantage of it. I was a little surprised when he told me that the insurance companies are paying them a "bonus" to strengthen the existing plywood by putting in more/bigger nails. Maybe the insurance companies are trying to prevent major damage down the line by doing the re-roofs now.

I have a friend who had work done by Jasper last year and he's been happy with their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Default Protect yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Adjuster (and roofing company) will be out tomorrow (Thursday at 9). LOTS of houses in Julington Creek are getting the roofs done. When they do that they place flyers on the nearby doors. They don't cold call.

I do not think they are trying to submit a mass number of claims and to get a few thru. They simply know the rules as they stand now and are taking advantage of it. I was a little surprised when he told me that the insurance companies are paying them a "bonus" to strengthen the existing plywood by putting in more/bigger nails. Maybe the insurance companies are trying to prevent major damage down the line by doing the re-roofs now.

I have a friend who had work done by Jasper last year and he's been happy with their work.
I'm sorry, but I agree with the previous poster that this all sounds very suspicious. I would get a second opinion from a home inspector on the condition of your roof. I guess if the insurance company agrees to cover it you're not out any money, but it does sound predatory.

In the event you do end up replacing your roof, here's a few things you MUST do to protect yourself. Roofing companies are notorious for fraud:

1. Get 2 more quotes from other established roofing companies to compare numbers.

2. BEFORE the work starts, get the following from them:
A) Contractors License - this should be a given
B) General Liability Insurance Certificate listing you, the homeowner, as "Additional Insured." - Any legitimate contractor will understand this terminology and have no problem getting it to you.
C) Workers Comp Insurance Certificate - SUPER IMPORTANT: Make sure the roofer uses direct employees, and not Subcontractors, and has Workers Comp on all his employees. If he subs the work out, you must have GL and WC certificates from every person working on your home to be protected. Otherwise, somebody falls off the roof or gets hurt, they can sue you, the homeowner.

3. Next, go to www.sunbiz.org and confirm that the contractor you are hiring has filed his annual business report with the State of Florida. You can do a simple search for the company name on the website and it will tell you if they are active or inactive.

4. Upon completion of the work, make sure you get a signed and notarized release of lien from the contractor, stating the all the materials and labor on the job have been paid for. If you don't, and say he doesn't pay his material bill, the material supplier could come back after you to get paid on the material, and you end up paying twice.

This all might seem a little complicated, but it's important to protect yourself when hiring these contractors. You can tell a contractor ahead of time that this is going to be the procedure, and if he seems even a little hesitant, you should not use them, because this is all standard procedure for any legitimate contractor.

And oh yeah....one last optional item if you do get a new roof.....even if you have to pay out of pocket, have them use a "peel and stick" underlayment instead of the standard felt paper. You can get a break on your homeowners insurance in most cases by using it, and in the event we ever have a hurricane, the peel and stick underlayment will still be there whereas the felt paper will be blown away. This will give you added moisture protection against damage inside the house.

Good luck and keep us posted.

SS

Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 AM

Insurance adjuster came out yesterday and agreed with the contractor so they are notifying the Insurance Company. I know someone who had this done by this company last year and he was telling me about how they use the rubberized base and not the old felt paper.

This isn't some guy some guy just driving around. They are pretty big with offices in Jax, Tampa, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Denver, Orlando, Evamsville. Their Florida License # is right on their Jax page. Been around 10 years.

http://jasperroof.com/about-us/

I'll ask about the employees thing.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Who does this "insurance adjuster" work for? The contractor?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm sorry, this still sounds like fraud to me. Why are "they" contacting YOUR insurance company? That is a felony in FL and this has been all over the news lately. Here is snippet of the law they are breaking:

Florida Statute 626.8738 states “...any person who acts as a resident or nonresident public adjuster or holds himself or herself out to be a public adjuster to adjust claims in this state, without being licensed by the department as a public adjuster and appointed as a public adjuster, commits a felony of the third degree…” Florida Statute 626.854 section 1 defines a public adjuster as any person, except an attorney, who “...acts or aids in any manner on behalf of an insured or third-party claimant in negotiating for or effecting the settlement of a claim…” and further states this “...also includes any person who, for money, commission, or any other thing of value, solicits, investigates, or adjusts such claims on behalf of any such public adjuster.” If the party offering the “free roof” is a licensed public adjuster, Florida Statute 626.8795 clearly states they cannot participate directly or indirectly in the repair or replacement of the roof.

The statute further prohibits the adjuster from soliciting or accepting any remuneration from the entity performing the repair replacement, nor can the adjuster have any financial interest in the entity performing the work. The above referenced statutes specifically prohibit the entity assisting in the claim from having anything to do with the performance of the work. This should not discourage homeowners from using public adjusters to help them obtain a fair settlement from their insurance company. A legitimate, properly licensed public adjuster can often help obtain a larger settlement than the homeowner was able to secure on their own. The intent of this statement is to point out that, once the public adjuster has obtained the settlement, the homeowner is free to select any licensed roofing contractor they choose to repair or replace their roof. By following the process the proper way, you can achieve the same results without assisting in a crime. You also stand a much better chance of getting a properly installed new roof. Do you think a company already committing a felony will be concerned with installing your new roof to proper code requirements? If you have been contacted by anyone saying they will help get your insurance to purchase you a new roof or assist with your claim and fix your roof, please report them to the Florida Department of Financial Services at 1-877-693-5236.

Florida Statute 626.8738 states “...any person who acts as a resident or nonresident public adjuster or holds himself or herself out to be a public adjuster to adjust claims in this state, without being licensed by the department as a public adjuster and appointed as a public adjuster, commits a felony of the third degree…” Florida Statute 626.854 section 1 defines a public adjuster as any person, except an attorney, who “...acts or aids in any manner on behalf of an insured or third-party claimant in negotiating for or effecting the settlement of a claim…” and further states this “...also includes any person who, for money, commission, or any other thing of value, solicits, investigates, or adjusts such claims on behalf of any such public adjuster.” If the party offering the “free roof” is a licensed public adjuster, Florida Statute 626.8795 clearly states they cannot participate directly or indirectly in the repair or replacement of the roof.

The statute further prohibits the adjuster from soliciting or accepting any remuneration from the entity performing the repair replacement, nor can the adjuster have any financial interest in the entity performing the work. The above referenced statutes specifically prohibit the entity assisting in the claim from having anything to do with the performance of the work. This should not discourage homeowners from using public adjusters to help them obtain a fair settlement from their insurance company. A legitimate, properly licensed public adjuster can often help obtain a larger settlement than the homeowner was able to secure on their own. The intent of this statement is to point out that, once the public adjuster has obtained the settlement, the homeowner is free to select any licensed roofing contractor they choose to repair or replace their roof. By following the process the proper way, you can achieve the same results without assisting in a crime. You also stand a much better chance of getting a properly installed new roof. Do you think a company already committing a felony will be concerned with installing your new roof to proper code requirements? If you have been contacted by anyone saying they will help get your insurance to purchase you a new roof or assist with your claim and fix your roof, please report them to the Florida Department of Financial Services at 1-877-693-5236

Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 AM

You are totally off base.....

The adjuster was someone hired by my insurance company, and sent by the insurance company. They verified the claim, and are sending the claim info to the insurance company.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I know Jasper, they looked at mine this past summer. We had hail damage, but I didn't like how quickly they did 2 other homes in my neighborhood, so I just took the check from my insurance company and hired a company that had done a really nice job elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You are totally off base.....

The adjuster was someone hired by my insurance company, and sent by the insurance company. They verified the claim, and are sending the claim info to the insurance company.
OK, but just trying to help you out here. I hate to see folks being taken advantage of, especially given you didn't get multiple quotes.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:18 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I know Jasper, they looked at mine this past summer. We had hail damage, but I didn't like how quickly they did 2 other homes in my neighborhood, so I just took the check from my insurance company and hired a company that had done a really nice job elsewhere in the neighborhood.
It took an entire day for three guys to rescreen my lanai and replace door hardware and bottom bolts. Granted, the lanai covers the pool and extends the entire width of the house. But doing a complete re-roof in one day? No, thanks. A house on my way out of the neighborhood had a roof replaced not long ago, and the contractor (didn't note the company's name) was there for three days.

I don't trust contractors who hire "account managers" (commissioned salespeople). I want a company owner with hands-on experience.

A quick Google of this company does not give me a favorable impression. Beware the fake (paid) positive reviews.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Insurance adjuster came out yesterday and agreed with the contractor so they are notifying the Insurance Company. I know someone who had this done by this company last year and he was telling me about how they use the rubberized base and not the old felt paper.

This isn't some guy some guy just driving around. They are pretty big with offices in Jax, Tampa, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Denver, Orlando, Evamsville. Their Florida License # is right on their Jax page. Been around 10 years.

About Jasper Roofing Contractors | JasperRoof

I'll ask about the employees thing.
Actually, they've only been in Florida 4 years, which is when they first filed for incorporation in the State of Florida on 08/02/2010. They began business in Indiana in 2004. The owner is Alvin Reeves, Jr. and he is based in Indiana. The President is Brian Wedding based out of Evansville, Indiana.

Vice President is Angela Darnell, also in Evansville, IN.

As long as they provide you with their GL and WC Insurance, it seems they are completely legit. We're all just trying to help protect you here, so as long as you're comfortable with the work you've seen them do, I think you'll be alright as long as you follow the steps I gave you above. If for some reason something went wrong, I can get you addresses and phone numbers as well.

SS

Last edited by ShakenStirred; 01-16-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville