Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Excellent point, I would never move somewhere that takes away my option to choose. Isn't St. John's Forest like this as well?
Yes, St Johns Forest, St Johns Golf & CC, Palencia I think are the 3 largest. Not sure about others but working from home and having lived somewhere with spotty internet I can absolutely relate. Nice to see the CEO is reaching out, hopefully that gets things fixed for him. Nothing in this world is quite as frustrating as calling into those company's customer service line to be transferred around, hung up on, misled, etc.

BTW - I don't think the VPN has anything to do with it either. I run through VPN on my work laptop and go straight to the router with my personal laptop, speeds are similar here (using Comcast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, St Johns Forest, St Johns Golf & CC, Palencia I think are the 3 largest. Not sure about others but working from home and having lived somewhere with spotty internet I can absolutely relate. Nice to see the CEO is reaching out, hopefully that gets things fixed for him. Nothing in this world is quite as frustrating as calling into those company's customer service line to be transferred around, hung up on, misled, etc.

BTW - I don't think the VPN has anything to do with it either. I run through VPN on my work laptop and go straight to the router with my personal laptop, speeds are similar here (using Comcast).
I actually work with someone who owns land in Palencia and he said you can use whoever you want, but you have to pay the built-in "fee" for Litestream that is baked into the HOA no matter what. So he claims you can actually pay for a different provider as long as you pay Litestream (indirectly) as well.

Disclaimer: he's not actually doing this, but says it's possible.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 AM

23 posts, read 52,493 times
Quote:
I actually work with someone who owns land in Palencia and he said you can use whoever you want, but you have to pay the built-in "fee" for Litestream that is baked into the HOA no matter what. So he claims you can actually pay for a different provider as long as you pay Litestream (indirectly) as well.

Disclaimer: he's not actually doing this, but says it's possible.
I'm not aware of any such policy or ability to do so. The only thing I can think of is allowing a dedicated internet connection over Litestream or ATT. I'm thinking that will cost several hundred if not we'll over a thousand per month to have such a setup.

Last edited by Rayd8tr; 01-29-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 AM

Let's all just hope and pray that Google Fiber makes it here soon, they're already in Atlanta and Nashville so not far from us at all.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM

23 posts, read 52,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

My VPN seems to work just fine when traffic drops off considerably allowing my speeds to be where they should be. The last time I worked I did a speed test and I was at 12-15 Mbps plugged directly into the modem with no other device or computer accessing the Internet.

When the speeds are up or close to 100 I can do everything I need to do without an error message saying I lost connectivity or my computer crashing.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM

One thing that helped me considerably when connected through a slower connection is to work on your files locally on your hard drive, then remembering to save up to your network drive frequently. Not sure how much of your work is directly on a website vs, say, Word or Excel files, but that really, really helped me when I was using a slower/shoddy DSL connection.

Also, can you get a MiFi type device as a backup? I know neither of these helps your speed issues but at a minimum it should allow you to connect and perform basic tasks.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tr View Post
My VPN seems to work just fine when traffic drops off considerably allowing my speeds to be where they should be. The last time I worked I did a speed test and I was at 12-15 Mbps plugged directly into the modem with no other device or computer accessing the Internet.

When the speeds are up or close to 100 I can do everything I need to do without an error message saying I lost connectivity or my computer crashing.
Even at 12 to 15, that's more than enough to keep a VPN connection alive and/or do whatever on the Internet. I think it's a stability issue, not a speed issue.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 AM

164 posts, read 227,695 times
Quote:
Even at 12 to 15, that's more than enough to keep a VPN connection alive and/or do whatever on the Internet. I think it's a stability issue, not a speed issue.
Exactly.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 PM

72 posts, read 144,227 times
Is there a way to know these types of restrictions ahead of time? We are narrowing down our search of neighborhoods, but my husband and I work from home and we need a strong internet connection and cannot be forced into a crappy provider. St. John's Forest was on our short list, but this is a deal breaker. What about JCP? I haven't read anything about them. We have dealt with HOA's in the past, but they seem much stricter and forced down there. I like they keep in order in a neighborhood, but I don't want to pay ridiculous fees to be forced into a cable or internet package.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM

Go to Comcast.com and plug in the address you're considering and it will tell you if they service that house. They do service JCP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville