Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Tacosman can't help it, along with being socially blind he must be physically blind as well.
He's supposedly a psychiatrist. I often wonder whether his contributions to this forum are part of an experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
He's supposedly a psychiatrist. I often wonder whether his contributions to this forum are part of an experiment.
Everyone knows the reason people go into psychiatriy is to explore and try to explain their own lunacy. I should know, my sister is a psychiatrist, and she's as crazy as they come.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
Keep in mind that the St. Johns is a slow moving river. Down south of Jacksonville I've seen some nice homes on the river where its blue.

The other issue is that it becomes swampier and swampier as one gets closer to the mouth of the river. Similar to the Mississippi River and N.O.

Even during spells of drought the Tennessee can become quite low and murkey looking. Looks like that most of the time here in Huntsville right next to the Tennessee. Yes, we have rolling hills and mountain views on the river, which in some cases are quite pricey for land.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Wait what??? MOUTAINS IN FLORIDA???

Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM

297 posts, read 573,036 times
Quote:
Everyone knows the reason people go into psychiatriy is to explore and try to explain their own lunacy. I should know, my sister is a psychiatrist, and she's as crazy as they come.
LOL! My sister is a psych nurse. She's nuckin' futs.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
There's the problem right there. Just goes to show that the old adage is true ... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Yes it is. My husband and I lived in Jax in 2006-07 while he was doing a fellowship at Mayo. We were living in the Midwest and looking for a place to rent there in town. He found a bungalow in a canal community off San Pablo and rented it sight unseen. The first time we saw it was when we pulled up in a moving van after driving 1,000 miles.

We bought a boat (even though we knew we would be there only a year) and it was there right in our backyard. Every weekend, we would go out and explore the ICW, or head downtown, or to St. Augustine. I thought the sunsets I saw while drinking wine and watching the tankers head out of the St. John's were beautiful.

OP doesn't feel the same. To each his own.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Florida does tend to be lacking in both mountains and the tall trees associated with heavier northern soils;.
I know right?

It's unbelievable, all that lacking of mountains.

Just as shocking as Ohio lacking the ocean. What is wrong with you people that you can't provide the ocean?

WTH?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
Which is hard to believe given how much water is around the area....but true. Consider that direct waterfront property in Jville area comes in a few forms:

Direct oceanfront- sure the pvb and atlantic beach single fAmily residence beach homes are nice, but the decent ones start at 2.4 mill or so. Too rich for most peoples blood. South pvb area has some affordable stuff....but it's going in the ocean as I type this and there is literally 5 feet if beach left before your back deck.....which is why it's cheap and no thanks.

The St. John's- it is just not an aesthetically appealing water/waterfront view. And that's what people with waterfront homes are looking for. Most of the views are just an expansive view of brackish looking water bordered by flatness in all directions. That's not exactly a million dollar view. Compare the St. John's river to the Tennessee river for example..

Various offshoots of the St. John's like doctors lake and ortega river- very similar to the St. John's. Just not much aesthetically. Flat, brackish looking, etc....

The icw and associated branches amd canals- looks so sterile and non natural.

In my mind good waterfront is a big water massive lake with hills or mountains in the background and lots of trees on the other side of the water looming above. Just an awesome backdrop. Think lake guntersville in Alabama, or lake oconee in Georgia. Jacksonville doesn't have any waterfront property like that.
Before you moved here, kicking and screaming all the way...you were a RENTER, and couldn't even afford an Avondale bungalow and were calling them "shanties" anyway.

NOW you want direct waterfront.

Did you run out of things to complain about?

WAIT. What does "the ICW looks so sterile and non natural" even mean?

Never mind, don't answer that. By the way the word is unnatural, doc.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 AM

555 posts, read 891,660 times
Some of us visit Florida because we get tired of dealing with steep roads in the winter (as beautiful as the mountains are in other seasons). (I was being a tad sarcastic in my earlier post.)

Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM

49 posts, read 174,244 times
Default Florida Living

I show plenty of waterfront property in Jacksonville and have never seen one yet that has a mountain view in the background. An elevation check for the area shows 24 ft. is high for us locals.

In my mind good waterfront is a big water massive lake with hills or mountains in the background and lots of trees on the other side of the water looming above. Just an awesome backdrop. Think lake guntersville in Alabama, or lake oconee in Georgia.

This is more a view one would find in Florida. What price range are you considering?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville