Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:54 AM

11 posts, read 19,599 times

Advertisements

As I watch the news this morning about the teenager in Fleming Island who was hit by a car walking to school, I think about my daily commute and how much speeding I see through mostly residential areas. I know the officials said speeding was not a factor in this particular case (and perhaps it wasn't) but when the local news decided to put a radar gun to the main road into that development where the girl was hit, they consistently had readings of 5 to 10 mph over the limit. It was posted 30 mph.

I live off Argyle Forest Bv and find it difficult just to get out of my neighborhood at times because drivers are doing 15 to 20 mph over the 45 mph posted speed. That's not an exaggeration. If you drive 45 mph down Argyle Forest, you will be tailgated. Yes - it's a large road and probably seems like you are driving on the interstate in places - but there are homes and businesses right off the road unlike the interstate. There is also at least one school zone.

But it's not limited to that. Virtually everywhere there is speeding and also my least favorite tactic that I see daily: In an effort to avoid having to wait at an intersection where there is a traffic signal, I see many motorists cut through residential areas to avoid the lights and shave perhaps 30 seconds off their commute! So that puts those residents (especially children) at risk because these folks are flying through their otherwise quiet neighborhoods.

Yes - this is worse during morning and afternoon commutes. Yes - Jacksonville is spread out geographically meaning longer commutes. But just leaving a few minutes earlier and driving sanely is a better alternative to speeding and reckless driving.

Also notable is there seems to be less officers out there monitoring speed. With that, the speeders are increasing. I think it's a common-sense correlation. The police saying it is funding related - limited officers and they are working accidents. Ironic isn't it! But something needs to change or we will have more and more accidents and more pedestrians hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Florida is now the third state I've lived in and I can say for certain in the year that I've called FL home we are home to the very worst and most aggressive drivers I've ever seen. When I moved here I wondered why my auto insurance rates increased by nearly 40% and now I fully understand. The speeding problem is pervasive here and I think you hit the nail on the head - Jax is so spread out that folks seem to be always in a hurry to get to their destination as it's likely far away. And the lack of speeding enforcement is likely another contributing factor.

No matter where I am I always try and hover at around the speed limit, give or take 5 mph. And I'm often passed by cars as if I'm standing still. 45mph roads have folks driving nearly 70mph. I realize this isn't a FL only problem as speeders are everywhere; however, the volume of speeders here is what is most alarming. Seems like daily there is a story about someone dying on the roads or hitting pedestrians.

I'm not a big fan of more stop lights and more police enforcement but I guess if that's the only route to get folks to calm the F down on the roads I would be in favor of it, or stiffer penalties for reckless driving.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Coming from DC for 3+ decades, I know aggressive driving and terrible traffic and commutes. People in DC are calculated monsters who purposely won't let you merge and drive aggressively on purpose because they are angry stressed out monsters. While seemingly similar behavior is seen here in FL, I would describe it as ignorant driving. People here don't let you merge because they aren't even aware you are there. They aren't paying attention and simply just going their own way with the blissful ignorance of speed limits, how to use a turn signal, or any awareness of cars around them.

I think there's two reasons for this.

1. In VA, MD, DC, the police presence on the road is fierce. And the penalties are even worse. Speed traps everywhere, and I mean everywhere with stiff fines for minor infractions. You DO NOT speed in VA, everyone knows it, you'll be caught and pay hundreds of dollars. 20 over is mandatory 1 night in jail in VA and several court visits. It's nasty up there, outside of aggressive driving, people behave themselves, they stick to the passive aggressive, I rather you drive straight into that concrete barrier then let 1 car merge in front of me. In FL, I don't think I've ever seen a cop running radar, speeding is accepted. I regularly see people tailgate and then floor it to get around a police car on 95. There is no fear whatsoever, it's accepted behavior here.

2. Cell phone popularity. In fairness, this is likely happening everywhere, but the amount of people driving 75 MPH down 295 and staring straight down at their phone is appalling. At every stop sign or red light, hurry break out your phone and check Facebook or Twitter or email/texts!!! Ahhh!! I can't go 10 minutes without my influx of data!!! We're a society of crack heads and our vice is information. There's nothing on your phone that can't wait until you get to your destination. It's beyond irritating the number of people who aren't paying attention and don't go when the light turns green, or move up at a drive-thru, or are weaving all over the highway because they aren't looking straight ahead.

In short, I think this is the case everywhere honestly, and until they stiffen penalties, or perfect self-driving cars, we're stuck with this kind of behavior.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 AM

Totally agree re: texting/phones. Can't tell you how often I see someone whizzing by me with their phone in their hands. I understand driving isn't real fun but is your ADD that bad where you can't go 15 minutes without your precious phone?

And I get the crazy tailgaters here too, but you're right it isn't an aggression now that I think about it because if it was they would be glaring at me as they whizzed by me, it's ignorance to the speed limits because 99% of the time they speed past me without even a glance my way.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Case in point: Students, Parents Mourn Teen's Death | www.actionnewsjax.com

Old 01-30-2015, 05:24 PM

40 posts, read 90,115 times
So I guess my impression is in fact a reality! All three times I've been to Florida in the past three years I noticed that there are many CRAZY drivers! The first two times I had been in South Florida, so I blamed all the Brazilians there (I'm Brazilian, and if you want to see crazy driving, visit Rio de Janeiro and try to drive there! I would not dare drive there, and it is a very high anxiety producing experience being on the passenger seat!). But during my last visit to JAX I noticed the same thing! Lots of people speeding everywhere, and horrible at signaling, cutting in front of you...just anxious driving in general. I thought Chicago was bad! Hopefully I'll get used to the craziness once we move there...

One other thing I noticed was cops EVERYWHERE! I don't know if it was the particular weekend we were there...but I told my husband, I wasn't sure if that made me feel "safer"or not...lol...

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gisellems View Post
So I guess my impression is in fact a reality! All three times I've been to Florida in the past three years I noticed that there are many CRAZY drivers! The first two times I had been in South Florida, so I blamed all the Brazilians there (I'm Brazilian, and if you want to see crazy driving, visit Rio de Janeiro and try to drive there! I would not dare drive there, and it is a very high anxiety producing experience being on the passenger seat!). But during my last visit to JAX I noticed the same thing! Lots of people speeding everywhere, and horrible at signaling, cutting in front of you...just anxious driving in general. I thought Chicago was bad! Hopefully I'll get used to the craziness once we move there...

One other thing I noticed was cops EVERYWHERE! I don't know if it was the particular weekend we were there...but I told my husband, I wasn't sure if that made me feel "safer"or not...lol...
I have lived all over the Country and have been to FL many times. There are idiot drivers in every State and the closer you are to a big city the worse it gets. It isn't a FL thing it is a National thing.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have lived all over the Country and have been to FL many times. There are idiot drivers in every State and the closer you are to a big city the worse it gets. It isn't a FL thing it is a National thing.
Exactly

Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
thats too bad. i was hopeing jax was still a little more laid back and polite in that respect. what a shame.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
The speed limits are too low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: