Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM

8 posts, read 26,311 times

Advertisements

Ok so My husband and I are moving to Jacksonville Florida April. He will be stationed at Mayport. I need a home that will be safe, bc he will be gone at times and I will be there by myself. Please tell me some areas to look for buying a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Things to consider:

Your budget

Do you have school aged children?

USAA gives rebates if you use their real estate agent. So does Navy Federal (I believe).

What are you looking for in a house/community?

Look into "short sales" from banks. You can get a 'steal' given the sub-prime markets.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Ok... I am looking at a buget of lower $100,000 to $150,000. It would be my husband and I buying our first home. No children. Navy Federal didnt even mention real estate agents when we spoke to them about loans. Will look into USAA. What do I want in a house/community....House my husband wants a garage...and some sort of patio or back deck... I want a back yard for my dogs that is fenced in. Community.... something Safe... I am from the south and then we have moved around... but I need safe... when my husband leaves for a cruise I know noone and really need to be safe.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewellee View Post
Ok... I am looking at a buget of lower $100,000 to $150,000. It would be my husband and I buying our first home. No children. Navy Federal didnt even mention real estate agents when we spoke to them about loans. Will look into USAA. What do I want in a house/community....House my husband wants a garage...and some sort of patio or back deck... I want a back yard for my dogs that is fenced in. Community.... something Safe... I am from the south and then we have moved around... but I need safe... when my husband leaves for a cruise I know noone and really need to be safe.

you will not be able to find any houses in desirable areas for that kind of money, you'll need to look at townhomes/condos try searching RealtyWEB.NET (http://www.nefmls.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi - broken link)

Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 132,132 times
Default Also...banking

I see you probably have a relationship with Navy Federal, but you might consider joining and dealing with VyStar Credit Union. They were Jax Navy Federal for many years, and have been part of the community for about three decades. We live in the area and have always been treated well by the folks there.

Last year, my wife and I decided to refinance the two mortgages on our Orange Park home. We had a 30-year first at 7%, and a 15-year second at 9.5%. They gave us a deal for a 15-year refi at 5.875, and they paid all of the closing costs. We were old customers, and that probably helped, but the deal was completed in less than a month.

I examined dozens and offers, including some from friends in the mortgage business who insisted they could get a deal for me. One of these friends said he couldn't match they offer they made.

They work very hard to help Navy/military families, once the primary foundation of their business.

No, I don't work for them! But I've had years of great experiences with them.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewellee View Post
I drove to Mayport just looking around. In my opinion Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach are the way to go regarding commute times. However, Beachfront property runs in the 300s to 400s.

I don't know the safety of neighborhoods in that range. You may want to check with his colleagues who work there to find out where they live, with a reasonable commute.

Another consideration, and it is very sad, but necessary to check the following website in and around neighborhoods where you will live, since you will be alone when he deploys:

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators

Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM

278 posts, read 910,376 times
I just moved from that area. There are some REALLY nice new houses/neighborhoods off of Mayport Road as you go towards the Dutton Island Park. The problem is you have to drive through a rougher neighborhood to access it. It is a very beautiful area.

Also, with the Wonderwood Bridge, the Fort Caroline area is easily accessible from all three of the gates into the base (A1A, Mayport Road, and the Hannah Park access). There lots of really nice nieghborhoods and schools is this area as well.

I pass along this link all the time becasue it is so wonderful for checking out houses, school, neighborhood, and mapping information:
Virtual Home Tours by Obeo
It doesn't represent ALL the houses available in the area, but it has hundreds of them for you to check out in your price range.

You may also want to check out the newspaper the base puts out. With so many families constantly being transferred in and out....you can get great deals with previous Naval home owners in the area.

On base and off base housing (behind the Navy Nex) is nice, but most families seem to prefer their own home when possible. You don't want to get too far away, because when the carrier and most ships are in...the traffic can be a real bear for your husband. Parking is limited also. It will really depend on whether he has ship or shore duty. Depending on the alert and what ships are in....it can easily take 30-40 minutes just to travel 3 miles during peak hours. Mayport Road/A1A and McCormick/Wonderwood Bridge are your only roads to the base.

I lived off of Mayport Road and worked on base for 10 years. If you have any particular questions, please feel free to post them or PM me. It took my kids from elementary to high school age...so I'm very familiar with the schools in the area as well.

And....thank you for your service as a family. We neglect to thank you guys enough for all that you give up to serve our country.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
I agree with AraBess, check out the Fort Caroline area, it's very nice. Try searching online in zip 32225.

I don't know if you'll find a single family home for $100k, but you might find one at the top end of your budget ($150k). Just be prepared that it might be a modest fixer-upper.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Thank you guys so much... some luck but I may post a few and you guys can tell me if you think its a safe area or its a no go.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM

49 posts, read 174,341 times
Concerning "short sales", they will be more work for you and the bank has to approve the sale price. Time frame could take a couple of months or longer.

The Fort Caroline area might be good. AraBess has some good info for you.

If this is your first house you might qualify for 10,000 bond money that will help your family.

Also, with new construction, many builders are paying all the closing costs right now. This means you can get into a new home with less money out of your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville