Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 8,652 times

Advertisements

I think Jacksonville is a beautiful city, being from Baltimore I cant wait to move there. Anyone from Jacksonville have an opinion on living and working in the areas along San Jose Blvd...San Marcos down to Mandarin?? Beuclerc? I personally like this area compared to Baltimore I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
If you are young enough, the St. John's Town Center is a major HOT SPOT with the young crowd. We are Senior's, age wise that is, but still go over there at times. The Avenues Mall is another HOT SPOT. We live just north of there.

What kind of things do you like to do?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Default thanks for reply

My wife and I are in our 50s, . We visit Jacksonville and are looking to buy a home in the 170-210 range. The areas up and down San Jose Blvd seem like a good place to live, shop, work...we like the beach, restaurants, exploring new places...really just want a place to eventually retire. Hopefully this would be our last house. We dont have children, we are sick of high crime in Baltimore and the crappy weather. My wife is a CPA and I,m self employed. Mandarin seems liveable and some areas near Ft.Caroline Rd towards Neptune Beach....Am I looking in the right areas...hard to pick a neighborhood from 800 miles away...

Old 03-02-2015, 02:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
Mandarin is a great area. I moved from Alexandria, VA here 4 yrs ago and we like it. San jose blvd can get crowded at times, but nothing compared to baltimore. Crime is low near mandarin, but parts of west and north jax has a lot of crime. However, if you leave your Orioles hat laying around someone might steal it... just kidding.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 PM

Default thank you for your help

We love Mandarin, now live in Pikesville,MD I have health probs, go to Johns Hopkins now, will be going to Mayo....last time we stayed @ Butler and 95, this time going to stay at a condo near Mandarin and spend a few days at Neptune Beach. This will be our last home...btw, my wife is a CPA...we realize a cut in pay is probable...what are your thoughts on employment in and around the area? I hear people complain about Jacksonville traffic but if they lived in D.C or Baltimore they would really know traffic.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 PM

375 posts, read 444,893 times
Compared to where you are coming from our traffic will be a piece of cake. But our public Trans is nothing. You will have to drive more than likely.

I would prefer San Marco of all you mentioned. After that the Beaches. East Arlington is good. I don't care for St Johns Town Center or The Avenues. that is not to say they are bad. I just don't care for them. I am more of an Urban/Local business kind of guy.

Hope you find your spot. Welcome to Jax!!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Traffic may not be like Baltimore, but we do have traffic and it is increasing with the growing population. We moved here in Jan. '09 and have DEFINITELY seen an increase in traffic. Fortunately, I'm retired and wife doesn't go on the freeway to get to work........for now, that is.

And, talking about St John's Town Center and The Avenues, heck, I'm an ex-hog farmer from northeastern Indiana and find it rather fun to go to both places. Don't do much shopping at the Town Center, but when we do go over there, it's sort of fun.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM

87 posts, read 168,808 times
I grew up between Balto and DC. Traffic here is nothing in comparison. However, Florida natives idea of a reasonable commute is totally different. I live in Middleburg (think Frederick County in MD) and I work in downtown Jax. Door to door at prime commuting hours, my drive is 45 minutes to work and 30 minutes home from work. My co-workers think I'm nuts.

Jacksonville is BIG. Think Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Howard County, Carroll County, and Frederick County all under one municipal name. The areas of Jacksonville are diverse.

If you need any help in picturing different areas, let me know and I will try to approximate with a Baltimore comparison. St John's Town Center is similar to the Columbia area.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 AM

Default thank you ChristineNic

you are very much appreciated we now live in Pikesville/Owings mills area...hate it, but we do have a cool house in a historic little area Sudbrook....I like the areas of Mandarin and up towards San marcos....I love the beach..we are in our 50s...I am 51, wife 54....I am a former tractor trailer driver now on disability, she is a CPA. This would be our last home but of course need to work towards retirement (10 yrs)..she does not like a long commute, realize we would be taking a hit money wise but Md just is sprawl and crime...any thoughts on Mandarin, or areas near Ft. Caroline towards Neptune Beach (we love Neptune)..I grew up in Perry Hall...she grew up in Woodlawn (yuk)....there are no good places here...I did enjoy living in Rumsey Island but a little too red-necky for us i think. We are not stuffy at all but our party days are now behind us. again thanks and would appreciate any ideas on neighborhoods..we know to stay away from Regency..but where we are in Balto....everywhere has its Regency Square.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 AM

294 posts, read 341,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj64 View Post
...any thoughts on Mandarin, or areas near Ft. Caroline towards Neptune Beach (we love Neptune)...
You seem to like Neptune. My thought is live there. I am a little biased though- I live there. Do you have any specific questions about NB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville