Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM

57 posts, read 138,496 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Obviously weather this time of the yr is ideal, but what about between April and October? Is it unbearable? How do you handle it? Do you have to have ac on all yr down here? Just generally considering moving down to the area to escape the brutal north east. (Better weather and less expensive, no state income tax, less car taxes,etc)

Considering all around Jacksonville but not in the city. ( don't like city living) any area I should avoid? Any favorites? Being close to beach is not necessary as I could Drive there whenever.
Would need to rent but have seen nothing but apts/condos in my searches, are there any other rentals like small homes or duplex/townhomes that are "affordable", or is this how its done here?
Any info is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 PM

375 posts, read 444,489 times
I guess if you are in the north or mid west states, you could call our weather ideal. However, this is not Miami, Tampa or even Orlando. In Jacksonville we do have a change of seasons. Not as significant as you maybe, but you can tell a difference.

We just went through a stretch of nights in the 20's and highs barely reach 50. Is that the rule? No, but it does happen a few times each winter.

As to your question about the summers. Starting late May you will start hitting the 90's and it will last into late August/early September. Again not every day. Highs in the high 80's to low 90's is common. The humidity is a factor and it stays pretty high. Get used to sweating. It is not unbearable. Unless you don't have air. I would think not having to shovel snow would out weigh having to change your shirt a couple times a day

Oh yeah, and that humidity, it is a factor in the winter too. It may only mid 40's but when the humidity is up and the winds are blowing, you will be putting on layers.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I can't stand the summers. I try to get away as often and as long as I can. When I lived in Chicago I didn't mind the winter as much. But I am young I suppose. And I didnt own property or a car, so there were no such hassles related to snow/ice.

That said, I think most people would much prefer the summers here to the winters up north. And oh, I DO enjoy the wintertime here.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
The summer heat is way, way, way overblown and exaggerated. As others have said, it's Florida, but it's not Miami where it's always hot, or land locked Orlando where it's oppressive without a sea breeze. I'll trade the humidity in the summer for the humidity and horrible air quality in other major cities. At least you can breathe here without inhaling smog. Low 90's and humid isn't that bad, and it thunderstorms just about daily to offer some relief.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:23 PM

14 posts, read 22,232 times
I moved to Jacksonville from Miami, and Yes it does get hotter her than Miami, surprisingly. The weather here is strange cool mornings 50's and hot afternoons 80's, then back to cool nights. Theres about a 20 degree jump and people get sick because of it. This is allergy central, get ready to be on allergy meds all year, pollen is always high. Now having said that, its fine everyone has AC in their house or car, or fans. I'll take this over snow any day! Check, Orange park, Fleming island, Oakleaf plantation areas, St John's . Quiet affordable nice areas. Don't go to the city, it's over crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville