Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 43,922 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I just had a REALLY good interview with a major bank that has its offices on the far south side of Jacksonville (hint: the address is 1400 Citicards Way). My husband and I have been wanting to live in Saint Augustine for years. (He's home-based, so his commute is about 15 seconds.)

My question: how nightmarish would that commute be, if we stayed with neighborhoods on the northside-ish end of St. Aug? Say around Heritage Park? Highway 1 would probably be better than 95, right, and my estimate is about 30 minutes. Are there regular accidents and/or repairs that slow things down?

I don't want to live in a big community with a massive HOA that's away from everything, like Nocatee or WGV. I want to be near St. Aug. We don't have kids, so schools aren't a concern.

Thanks. I don't have the job yet, but...am really excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalbraith View Post
Ok, so I just had a REALLY good interview with a major bank that has its offices on the far south side of Jacksonville (hint: the address is 1400 Citicards Way). My husband and I have been wanting to live in Saint Augustine for years. (He's home-based, so his commute is about 15 seconds.)

My question: how nightmarish would that commute be, if we stayed with neighborhoods on the northside-ish end of St. Aug? Say around Heritage Park? Highway 1 would probably be better than 95, right, and my estimate is about 30 minutes. Are there regular accidents and/or repairs that slow things down?

I don't want to live in a big community with a massive HOA that's away from everything, like Nocatee or WGV. I want to be near St. Aug. We don't have kids, so schools aren't a concern.

Thanks. I don't have the job yet, but...am really excited.
I never commuted that far down BUT traffic is ALWAYS an issue around Jax. Construction AND accidents. Rain (lol) Fires, explosions and drama. NOT weekly but google it.

When I (briefly) worked for the phone company there downtown, I lived in walking distance because you get FIRED for tardy and absence.

I started a pet sitting business and one of my clients moved to Southside Belfort Rd and I helped her out for awhile (I lived near downtown). There was lots of traffic and tiring. Construction.

I also had to take a dog to a vet at 295 at I95 by 7 AM one morning and OMG I SAT at that intersection for over 20 minutes. Seemed like normal commuter traffic.

Hopefully other people can answer you with concrete commuting experiences for the actual direction you're asking about.

My suggestion is ALWAYS to rent near a job if your commute/hours matter if you're relocating to FL. You can always take risks and move later after you get your bearings. Even a short term lease is available or even a couple months in an Execustay.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:27 AM

242 posts, read 346,199 times
I would not even consider that drive. 2 hours with traffic! Better you move to Jax. St. Augustine is a very small town.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I don't think your responses thus far on this thread have been especially valid. The areas in St Augustine's north side you mention are roughly 19-20 miles from the address you mention which is on the extreme south end of Jacksonville basically wedged between I-95 and US1. Your commute up US1 northbound or I-95 typically will max out at 40 minutes and is hardly an "issue" unless one is used to ridiculously short commutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.9...1428912000!3e0

Old 04-12-2015, 04:28 PM

217 posts, read 607,704 times
I work with two people who commute from Palm Coast to downtown Jacksonville. One of them has been doing it for 10+ years. Usually takes them an hour or so unless there's an accident or something causing a delay.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't think your responses thus far on this thread have been especially valid. The areas in St Augustine's north side you mention are roughly 19-20 miles from the address you mention which is on the extreme south end of Jacksonville basically wedged between I-95 and US1. Your commute up US1 northbound or I-95 typically will max out at 40 minutes and is hardly an "issue" unless one is used to ridiculously short commutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.9...1428912000!3e0
LOL as IF I didn't say "Hopefully other people can answer you with concrete commuting experiences for the actual direction you're asking about."

Why not just ANSWER THE QUESTION instead of critiquing others?

At least I acknowledged her question and gave my experience in less than two days sitting there.

BTW, It's HILARIOUS to me that you consider 40 minutes to be a non issue and anything shorter is "ridiculously short". I don't find that point of view to be particularly valid.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,302 times
DO not use I-95. Take US 1 north and your commute will be 30 min from Heritage Park. This is real, based on experience, timing during rush hour. ...but is only valid using US 1.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM

23 posts, read 43,922 times
I appreciate everyone's input. Traffic information about downtown Jax is helpful too, because at some point in the near future I may be making the long drive from the airport to St. Aug, possibly several times. But if the job is at the location I think it is, the commute to St. Aug via Hwy 1 should be ok. (I've been telecommuting the last three years, so I'm a bit spoiled!) For the opportunity to live and eventually retire in St. Augustine, though, I will happily drive 30 minutes each way for this job. Thanks again, all.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalbraith View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. Traffic information about downtown Jax is helpful too, because at some point in the near future I may be making the long drive from the airport to St. Aug, possibly several times.
If it's during rush hour it would almost certainly be best to avoid I-95. So I-295 to US-1.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 PM

242 posts, read 346,199 times
I had a job commuting from St. Augustine Beach to Orange Park and it was 2 hours one way! Traffic is hell around Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville