Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, and am searching for some information. My family and I currently live on Long Island and are looking into relocating to St. Johns County for the schools. My 1st-grader has PDD-NOS (high-functioning on the Autism Spectrum Disorder). We really NEED to make sure we select the absolute best school for him (as well as for his typically-developing little brother). Someone recommended this district to us, and so far I'm hearing wonderful things about the district..... However, nobody has been able to recommend one school over another.

We're not familiar at all with the area. Our son is in a General classroom (he does receive services as well), and he currently has a shared aide in his class to help him when he needs a little extra push. SUPER friendly and outgoing kid, and extremely bright. We want to make sure we have him in a school with knowledgeable, experienced teachers who know how to give him the little extra TLC he needs to maintain his progress, and prevent any regression.

We also want to make sure we choose a SAFE, friendly neighborhood to raise a family in. We're very friendly people, and don't particularly care for snotty crowds - which I'm hearing that many areas along the coast tend to have a little bit more of that. At the same time, we don't want to be anywhere near the ghetto. lol

So..... if anybody has ANY helpful information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you to anybody who takes the time to read this and reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 AM

164 posts, read 227,695 times
Contact St. Johns county school district and they can tell you if there are certain schools that offer the services he needs. Our son was in a similar situation as yours and we met with the director of Special Ed for St Johns county prior to moving here. They were very accommodating and made sure he received the services he needed. It did not matter which school we selected as they all had the resources as needed.

We are in Durbin Crossing but the entire area is quite safe.

We know almost all of our neighbors and have not run into any "snobs" so far . And no where near the ghetto lol.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 15,778 times
Jenny, I found this post as I am looking at schools in St John's county as well. How did everything go? I am hoping to get an answer from someone that has their children in the St John's county schools now. I was just wondering if they are a good atmosphere for children with autism. My son is like yours and I would love to get your opinion on how everything is working out for you guys.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:31 PM

145 posts, read 224,684 times
Look at Ocean Palms, Julington Creek or Timber Creek elementary in St. Johns County. Of the three, Ocean Palms gets the best reviews from special needs parents. If you are considering private school, consider Shephard of the Woods, which is an immersion style school that includes both neurotypical and non-neurotypical kids.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 AM

110 posts, read 146,305 times
Stay away from Valley Ridge Academy - overcrowded and our child (IEP) did NOT get the services that she needed, plus was bullied and the school swept it under the rug. It may be ok for your younger child, but your special needs student needs a safe and progressive environment. Good Luck - I vote Ocean Palms or Timber Creek.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Thank you for letting me know. I am looking for middle schools really. My son is in the 6th grade. I was hoping I could find something near Nocatee or St Augustine too.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 PM

SmtSF, When you stated Timber Creek did you mean Timberlin Creek?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 PM

145 posts, read 224,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcatz74 View Post
SmtSF, When you stated Timber Creek did you mean Timberlin Creek?
Yes, sorry. My brain never connects the "lin."

Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 AM

HA, no problem. I just wanted to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: