Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
NO....We moved here specifically because the schools are NOT big like in other parts of Florida.

Capping high schools at 1500 is a much better plan. But they do need to build new ones.

Where are the new "9th grade centers" and the new middle school going to be located? Have they been approved?
Yea that is one way to look at it and I understand your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 246,080 times
Can somebody please explain what 9th grade center is? I've never heard of them before. What happens with kids gr 10-12?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisescorpiogirl View Post
Can somebody please explain what 9th grade center is? I've never heard of them before. What happens with kids gr 10-12?
Well at my high school basically is was a building dedicated to 9th graders only and all classes they had except for electives were taken there. Then they would transition into the regular high school with the other grades so basically that's what is going to happen.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
The Standard Pacific neighborhood on race track will have over 600 homes and the Toll Brothers neighborhood on Longleaf will have about 500. Not to mention Durbin and Aberdeen continue to build out, and new neighborhoods like River Town and Oakridge Landing just starting, I don't know where they are going to put all these kids.
Do you know what these communities are going to be called or have any articles related to them ??

Old 05-16-2015, 12:01 PM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Do you know what these communities are going to be called or have any articles related to them ??
The Standard Pacific community on Race Track Rd is called Celestina and there is likely info about it on the Standard Pacific website by now. The Toll Brothers community on Longleaf Pine is called Julington Lakes. Another community that will be selling homes by Fall 2015 is Shearwater, located off CR 210. Once Shearwater is built out it will have 2,000+ homes. There are also a number of smaller communities in the same area being developed now and/or in the planning stages.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
The Standard Pacific community on Race Track Rd is called Celestina and there is likely info about it on the Standard Pacific website by now. The Toll Brothers community on Longleaf Pine is called Julington Lakes. Another community that will be selling homes by Fall 2015 is Shearwater, located off CR 210. Once Shearwater is built out it will have 2,000+ homes. There are also a number of smaller communities in the same area being developed now and/or in the planning stages.
Thanks very much as I'm keeping track of all the developments happening and check out the homebuilder's website sometimes to see what new projects are going on. Also these communities must still be in the planning stages because I haven't seen too much info on the internet about them.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much as I'm keeping track of all the developments happening and check out the homebuilder's website sometimes to see what new projects are going on. Also these communities must still be in the planning stages because I haven't seen too much info on the internet about them.
Celestina is well underway - several model homes are under construction and should open within the next several weeks and there is also an on-site sales center. The multi-million dollar amenity center is also coming along. The land for Julington Lakes is being cleared and the infrastructure is being put in. Shearwater is also underway with homes expected to be available by the fall. Shearwater Homes Coming Fall 2015 - St. John's County, Florida

Old 05-16-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering could anybody give a rundown of all the new schools planned or under construction in the hot areas of St. Johns County. As I know many new communities are in different phases of getting built there. I recalled reading somewhere that a new school is opening every fall season for the next like three years. So please if know anything regarding this feel free to respond to this thread as this could be a viable asset for someone looking at moving to the area.
Getting back to the OP, I thought you might find this recent update (May 2015) from St. Johns County School Board member Beverly Slough interesting:

"As I have mentioned several times, our district is in dire need of capital outlay funding to build new schools for the consistent growth we experience. Because we do not have enough money to build any new schools at present, we are expanding certain schools to add additional seats where needed. At our April meeting, the School Board approved a master plan for the expansion of the Nease High School campus. The work will be done in phases and will add 625 new seats to the total permanent capacity there. In addition, Crookshank Elementary will be undergoing an expansion next year. Because of the close footprint of the campus, it will be necessary to move some of the students for one year while the work is being accomplished. Fourth and fifth graders from Crookshank will utilize classrooms at Sebastian Middle School, which is very near to their campus, while the construction is ongoing. The district consistently is seeking solutions to our deficit in capital funding, but, so far, we have been unsuccessful in obtaining sufficient funds to meet the ever expanding growth that we are experiencing. Consequentially, we must be creative in seeking ways to provide the needed seats for our students."

Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Getting back to the OP, I thought you might find this recent update (May 2015) from St. Johns County School Board member Beverly Slough interesting:

"As I have mentioned several times, our district is in dire need of capital outlay funding to build new schools for the consistent growth we experience. Because we do not have enough money to build any new schools at present, we are expanding certain schools to add additional seats where needed. At our April meeting, the School Board approved a master plan for the expansion of the Nease High School campus. The work will be done in phases and will add 625 new seats to the total permanent capacity there. In addition, Crookshank Elementary will be undergoing an expansion next year. Because of the close footprint of the campus, it will be necessary to move some of the students for one year while the work is being accomplished. Fourth and fifth graders from Crookshank will utilize classrooms at Sebastian Middle School, which is very near to their campus, while the construction is ongoing. The district consistently is seeking solutions to our deficit in capital funding, but, so far, we have been unsuccessful in obtaining sufficient funds to meet the ever expanding growth that we are experiencing. Consequentially, we must be creative in seeking ways to provide the needed seats for our students."
Sadly these changes cant come fast enough but its weird how some counties charge impact fees on new houses to pay for infrastructure like this I think. So what's up with St. Johns County did they suspend them trying to be "fiscally conservative" ???

Old 05-17-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Celestina is well underway - several model homes are under construction and should open within the next several weeks and there is also an on-site sales center. The multi-million dollar amenity center is also coming along. The land for Julington Lakes is being cleared and the infrastructure is being put in. Shearwater is also underway with homes expected to be available by the fall. Shearwater Homes Coming Fall 2015 - St. John's County, Florida
With some research ironically none of the builder's websites had information on the communities. I found an article or two concerning them but that was it. Here they are Toll Brothers breaks ground on Julington Lakes | StAugustine.com

http://www.bloomrealty.com/Jacksonvi...arin/celestina-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville