Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

There's a little Dominican spot on 103rd near Blanding that is a gem. They close early ,though,like 530 or 6pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
Thumbs down Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Madrid on Beach Blvd west of St Johns Bluff is good too
I did not care for Madrids service. They are apparently racist and prefer only spanish people. (but of course will take your money) My friend who looks very hispanic and speaks fluent spanish was told by the waitress they have sauces in the back only for the hispanic people. I, on the other hand am hispanic, but look white. I was not treated the same, once I showed up, they ignored and was not very polite. Once you are treated poorly, the food will not taste good.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
^^^frustrating story and enough to make me not want to go there, but that story is so ironic it's almost hilarious!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
try el palermo restaurant in orange park fl own buy puerto rican fam carne frita con mofongo, alcapurias,relleno de papa

Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 PM

88 posts, read 257,749 times
doesn't sound like a lot of PR restaurants. how about cuban? where can i get some good cuban sandwich? i'm also going to be at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. hope it's easy to get to places from there?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_hawaiian View Post
doesn't sound like a lot of PR restaurants. how about cuban? where can i get some good cuban sandwich? i'm also going to be at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. hope it's easy to get to places from there?
I like Havana-Jax, which is about a 5-minute drive from the Hyatt.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
A new Puerto Rican bakery will be opening up on the corner of E. 4th & Market, called "Island Bakery".

I think it should be open around the new year....

It'll be a small, hole-in-the-wall venue, and around the corner (literally) from The Native Eatery - another new hole-in-the-wall place www.thenativebbq.com

FYI

Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM

28 posts, read 81,947 times
My husband is from Puerto Rico & we discovered Las Antillas on Southside Blvd (near Beach) for yummy PR food. It's a small, family-owned cafeteria, nothing fancy. My only complaint is they don't do mofongo.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
Asopaos are kinda like soups or stews. Tasty.

Madrid is supposed to be Spanish food, hence the naming after the capital city of Spain, and not carribbean. When I went there, it had paellas and the like. Not Puerto Rican food.

One would think that with a name like Madrid it would be more Spanish but it is definiatley Caribbean Spanish, however it could be said that Caribean Spanish(Cuban, Puerto Rican, Domincan) is tropically accented Spanish food. I belive the former founders were from Newark, NJ which has/had a large European Spanish and Portuguese community. BTW my wife is from PR and I have a college degree in Spanish

Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_bleedinghearts View Post
I did not care for Madrids service. They are apparently racist and prefer only spanish people. (but of course will take your money) My friend who looks very hispanic and speaks fluent spanish was told by the waitress they have sauces in the back only for the hispanic people. I, on the other hand am hispanic, but look white. I was not treated the same, once I showed up, they ignored and was not very polite. Once you are treated poorly, the food will not taste good.
One of my friends in HS, Manny, is Cuban/Puerto Rican. There were some girls we worked with from Mexico, they were sisters and invited us over for dinner. The made some dish with mole (for those who don't know think of a savory/bitter bakers chocolate sauce) Since he was Puerto Rican, they gave him a giant double helping. Since I am a Gringo they gave me a little bit.

Manny told them it was delicious. But later on he said that it was the nastiest dish he ever had. It paid off to be a gringo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville