Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 8,026 times

Advertisements

So we have lived in places with HOAs before and not loved it. It seems in Jacksonville it is difficult to get away from HOAs and the fees are SOOO high! I know part of it is just my personality, but I really don't like people telling me what paint colors I can use or if I can have a shed in my backyard. Can anyone tell me if they love their HOA and the fees are worth it? Does anyone feel like sharing how invasive or not invasive their Home Owner organization is into their lives?

Last edited by SunnyJax; 06-12-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
People are very different - I like clean, well-maintained yards and houses that aren't painted neon green so I've never had an issue with HOAs have lived in HOA communities for almost 15 years now. I would think they would be "invasive" only if you were abnormally loud or don't keep your house/yard in order.

Personally, if someone lets their dog crap pile a foot high in their yard for a month I like the fact that I can file a complaint and let someone else deal with it. But I do understand that many people would not like this set-up......a hoarder, for example, would probably struggle in our community. Or someone who collects junk or restores old cars would not like it either.

HOAs are everywhere, but if you find a good realtor they could surely steer you towards a more rural setting where you wouldn't be governed by an HOA/CDD.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
HOAs are everywhere, but if you find a good realtor they could surely steer you towards a more rural setting where you wouldn't be governed by an HOA/CDD.
The existence of an HOA/CDD (and associated fees) is a mandatory disclosure to a prospective buyer and is usually included in MLS listing information.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM

Hi EricBoyd and Florida2014,

I thank you both for responding.

EricBoyd I may not be right but I think from previous posts I have seen that you keep chickens? But I believe that most HOAs will not allow chickens? Or maybe you can give me more detailed information?

For Florida2014 in our previous HOA home, we had put up a shed to keep a riding lawnmower. It was a nice, expensive shed. We did not realize there was a clause against sheds because many people in the neighborhood had them that you could see. You could not see ours from the street and no one complained--until we had an open house. A neighbor, who was also selling her home, came in and toured our house and filed a complaint, I believe because our shed added value to house.

I realized that all people are different and some people love the structure of HOAs. And maybe some people have found that their HOA really helps them. I would love to hear those people that have had better experiences than we had--which ones are those in Jacksonville? But I am also curious because I have seen listings with HOAs that are as high as $800 a month and I am just wondering if people find that they get $800 worth of value out of their HOA?

I just want to add that we put a lot of $$$ and value into the homes we have had. My husband is quite meticulous and also loves a well manicured yard. I don't believe in neon green as a design color, but I am fascinated by people that do! :-) We have good relationships with our neighbors and bend over backwards to make the places we live feel like a community.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJax View Post

EricBoyd I may not be right but I think from previous posts I have seen that you keep chickens? But I believe that most HOAs will not allow chickens? Or maybe you can give me more detailed information?
https://www.facebook.com/hensinjax

https://www.facebook.com/rivercitychicks

Yes, nearly all HOA community docs will prevent you from keeping backyards chickens. But, so does current city ordinance/zoning, unless you obtain a permit. The 2 links above are groups that were formed to support the legal keeping of backyard chickens. I don't live in an HOA community and zoning laws for my property (zoned Rural-Residential) allow me to keep them. If you've seen the other posts where I've participated, then you'll find a lot more info there, which I won't repeat here. Haha! Join those 2 Facebook groups and participate in the effort. :-)

Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM

139 posts, read 409,634 times
I'm not a frequent poster but when someone mentions chickens in the yard, well, hell yeah! I only wish roosters weren't so persecuted. I love hearing a rooster in the morning.

Sort of related is urban beekeeping. A couple of years ago the state changed the law to allow residents to keep a minimum of three hives, more if your property is larger than 1/4 acre. Unless you live in a HOA community that doesn't permit it.

Soon I'll be trading honey to a neighbor for eggs, life is good.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM

I want to give that a try, too. We had a beekeeper come to a new rental property last year to handle a removal for us. It was an all-day affair! But, it was very educational, too.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:15 PM

Thanks bobsim, your response made me smile. :-)

Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
SunnyJax ... I only have limited experience with HOAs, and I am a creative soul who doesn't care for "Stepford" type living. However, I do like to keep my property neat, and although my definition of "neat" might be different than my neighbors', there is that line between Sanford & Sons and anyone's definition of neat. I would prefer not to live next door to Mr. Sanford - that's my preference because I can't always wear blinders.

I've lived in two different HOAs and neither one was so strict that if a crop of weeds popped up here and there, a fine wasn't automatically put in the mailbox. If, however, a resident chose to ignore the weeds and allowed them to take over, the HOA would send out a series of warning letters, then an invitation to chat with the board ... directors are human and do understand there could be underlying problems (financial for example), and they're willing to work with the homeowner. But if the resident ignored all letters and communications and did nothing, then they were fined - and in my opinion worthy of being fined because they accepted the rules when they moved in.

This is only my experience, and I'm sure there are very strict HOAs and some HOAs with no teeth.

Our fees for both were about $700/year (and I'm not counting the CDD fee in the first community we lived in - apples and oranges). But I wouldn't pay such a fee monthly - no way. However, I see value in what we are paying. Our public spaces are nicely maintained including the front entrance where a person goes "ahhhh I'm home" ... I like that feeling turning into our community. I also know I have recourse by contacting the HOA if my neighbor decides to de-greenify his property (take down all bushes, trees, remove all grass) or if he lights up his yard like a runway.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 171,430 times
No HOA is great if you have good neighbors and people that take pride in there homes but if you dont then it can be a nightmare. Our first home was a great starter house for years then about 3 houses on my block were renters and although we were friendly with one another they did care at all about the homes. one parked a boat in the front yard (not the driveway THE YARD) none of them mowed the grass so every month or so i would walk across the street and mow once it got about a foot high. I realize this was a extreme case but im happy living in a HOA now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: