Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
Sorry Saint Cabbage, that's a pretty cheesy infomercial. The guy wanders into the shed as if a newborn kitten is waiting for him on the other side. Not saying that he doesn't know his way around snakes, but if you think that was an actual live catch, then Erik Estrada from CHIPS has some Arkansas swamp land to sell you as well.
I have some behind the scenes knowledge of that video, and it was a live and real scenario. That snake is most definitely alive when he goes in there and gets it. Regardless, I'll call him any day over trying to handle that thing myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 04:47 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
Thanks for posting the info on Quick Catch company's services. This is good info to keep.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,930 times
Quote:
Sorry Saint Cabbage, that's a pretty cheesy infomercial. The guy wanders into the shed as if a newborn kitten is waiting for him on the other side. Not saying that he doesn't know his way around snakes, but if you think that was an actual live catch, then Erik Estrada from CHIPS has some Arkansas swamp land to sell you as well.
Some people are scared to death of any snakes, some people like the guy in the infomercial aren't. I myself am not scared silly but I don't go out of my way to pick any snakes up either.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
The pics in post #7 are both of harmless water snakes.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
That was my first reaction too......seemed as if the "homeowner" was reading from a script and Mr. Snake Handler sure walked right into that shed without so much as a flashlight. But whatever, it's a good service for those folks who don't own a shovel, I guess.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Some people are scared to death of any snakes, some people like the guy in the infomercial aren't. I myself am not scared silly but I don't go out of my way to pick any snakes up either.
Well that's good because that snake would kill you pretty damn easily.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Well that's good because that snake would kill you pretty damn easily.
I read up on this because I was curious.....unless they get you directly into an artery or you are hours away from medical help, a fatality from a cottonmouth bite is pretty rare. That bite would mess you up, no doubt.

Small children/elderly/dogs/etc. are obviously more at risk.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
how much is a service call? Sounds like a profitable business.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
how much is a service call? Sounds like a profitable business.
My thoughts exactly. Someone in our neighborhood is really pushing this snake be gone service where they will come out and claim to mitigate snakes in/around your yard for a flat yearly fee or a monthly fee. I don't know if they have much, if any, competition.

It would be interesting to see what they do: throw down some mothballs or hold a prayer service and ask the Snake Gods to steer clear of people houses, but light bulbs went off when I heard about that.

It'll be that, or a Shark Repellent Spray for me......I haven't decided yet.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Someone in our neighborhood is really pushing this snake be gone service where they will come out and claim to mitigate snakes in/around your yard for a flat yearly fee or a monthly fee. I don't know if they have much, if any, competition.

It would be interesting to see what they do: throw down some mothballs or hold a prayer service and ask the Snake Gods to steer clear of people houses, but light bulbs went off when I heard about that.

It'll be that, or a Shark Repellent Spray for me......I haven't decided yet.
LOL!

I have the service, and I do push it because I want the service and associated discount as long as we keep at least 10 homes within the service windows for the year.

Since they have to come to your house within 15 minutes to remove any snake you report, plus re-treat with their magic dust, it's in their best interest to use a product that actually works. This service is free as part of your ongoing service agreement, it's incredibly expensive without it.

You are both correct about the moccasins, bites are very rare, deaths as a result are even more exceedingly rare. Debilitating injury and pain is guaranteed, and with small children, the risk is much higher. I choose to limit that risk to the best of my ability which includes many behaviors including having a professional on my side. Ants probably wont kill me either, but I have a pest company too. I likely pay for a lot of other things monthly you have no interest in either and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville