Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 7,199 times

Advertisements

I have many questions!
I love the St. Augustine area- is it family friendly? We are moving from MN, and like Anywhere from here down the coast a ways. We are looking for family friendly, not too huge, not a massive amount of traffic, nice beaches, low crime, not a huge retirement community, not an area like Naples where you need to make a million bucks a year to fit in, really nice beach and slightly artsy community. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
I don't quite yet have a family, but I think St Aug as a whole is definitely family-friendly. You might also look into Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. A similar distance from Jax but north of the city, it is smaller than St Aug but equally charming and picturesque.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 AM

103 posts, read 187,785 times
We just moved from Minnesota to St Augustine, no kids but we see families all over the place with kids and they seem to be enjoying themselves. This is in town and in our neighborhood. There are lots of planned activities and just lots to do in general recreationally so i'd say you'll probably find what you are looking for. The "planned communities" like Nocatee and Palencia have all sorts of kid oriented programs, and playgrounds, and we always see the family pool full.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM

Where from MN? That's great! What have your experiences been there so far? What do you like and dislike? How's the summer heat so far?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 PM

164 posts, read 227,667 times
We moved from Saint Cloud, MN to Durbin Crossing. So far the move has been great and I'd never go back. The heat and humidity is no worse than MN in my opinion, it just lasts longer... Much longer

Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,633,866 times
How old are children Seagrove on Anastasia Island may be a good fit with R B Hunt a great Elem School
St Augustine is a mixed community certainly not a retiree place like Sarasota Venice or Naples. Plenty to do and crowded with tourists from time to time which is why locals know where and when to go downtown

Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 PM

We moved from Elk River, i'd agree the heat and humidity are the same as Minnesota in mid-July but it just lasts several months longer. No problem we live in Saint Augustine so we go to the beach or pool. I love that option as well as that I can find a new restaurant to try every day and still not get to them all. I also love getting off work and jumping on the Schooner Freedom at 6:30 for a sail to Vilano and back.

The thing I dislike is that at least with our builder and subs things are "no problem" they just send people back 2 an 3 times to do what should have been done right in the first place. Seem if things weren't so laid back and crews properly supervised there would be no problem and no 2 and 3 times. But the attitude seems to be as long as they are willing to keep trying its ok. I guess i'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that you'll never see bugs and critters like you will here. My FB wall looks like a nature freak show the bugs are large and numerous and we have snakes and alligators in our neighborhood. BUT you get used to that too and a good pest place can really help.

Like Ruger20 i'll never go back i'd sooner lower my lifestyle than move back to Minnesota.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM

That's really good to know! How cold is the coldest night you've seen in St. Augustine? I noticed while looking at houses, there seems to be a lack of palm trees there compared to a little further south. I'm in Cottage Grove, doing an art fair in Elk River in a few weeks here at the arena! Everyone here talks about "ugh... It's too hot there, I would never move there." We spent 7 weeks there last March-April (I know, not as hot) in the Keys and I was so sad going back home. The thought of another MN makes me want to get a prescription for Prozac. I think we just need to jump in a car and explore the coast, can you all tell me any areas I should definitely avoid? Cities that may be a bit dumpier, like Newport and St. Paul Park by me, lol!

Also, anyone have a good realtor recommendation?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 AM

I am worried about snakes and gators seeing I have yorkies, but I figured as long as I stay away from ponds/canals we should be better off anyway? And spiders with my kids. Small price to pay

The kids are 11, 4 and one week

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM

One of the main reasons we chose Saint Augustine over West Jacksonville like Eagle Landing is that we have lots of palm trees. I have two Pygmie Palms and one Queen in my front yard and our neighborhood and the areas along the roads and retail areas are full of palms. It's not like Miami but it doesn't look like Wisconsin like the northern and western areas look. (Lots of pines) We have plenty of pine and oak but also lots of palms. People in Minnesota all try and scare you with the heat, poor schools, poor medicine, redneck this, old people that. It's all a bunch of crap. This area at least has heat but I have 2 AC units and we have pools and an ocean. Good schools in St John's and I believe Flagler and the Mayo are pretty good so i'm not worried about the medical stuff.

I've not seen a cold night yet we moved in April, lots of really nice nights as it cools off after 7:30 or at least becomes "nice" especially if you go to old St Augustine and walk by the water or dine outside. Great breezes there. I don't know much about the surrounding area others on the board could weigh in. We're happy with Saint Augustine but I hear the Nocatee area and Ponte Vedra area are nice.

We live in Palencia but next door is Las Calinas and also Kensington and those seem nice as well. They are also building in other areas nearby like Murabella and World Golf Village those are further inland but only 15 minutes.

There are plenty of retail like Home Depot, Target, Publix, Winn Dixie, Bed Bath Beyond, Big Lots, Marshalls, JC Penny but expect to drive 15-20min each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville