Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM

63 posts, read 285,267 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I were able to visit Bamboo Creek during lunch today.

Bamboo Creek is located right next to Tinseltown, in the same chain of stores where Mellow Mushroom resides.

The decor was pretty swanky where the tables were made of granite and all the waiters/waitresses were dressed all in black. They also have a nice bar as someone had mentioned before.

Dim Sum was pushed around in carts and all of it looked pretty fresh. They had your typical Shui Mai, chicken feet, tripe, sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf, shrimp wrapped in rice noodles, short ribs in black bean sauce etc...
The only thing that we didn't see were turnip cakes but we didn't ask so we don't know if they had it or not.

The dishes are priced like in NY, depending on their size :
Small = $2.80 or ($2.60)
Medium = $3.80 or ($3.60)
Large = $4.60 or ($4.80)

They didn't have take out menus so the price of the dish is either the one I typed or the one in the parenthesis. I have really bad short term memory

As mentioned, they push carts around during lunch. They also serve dim sum at dinner time however have would have to order the dishes you would like and they would bring it out to you. They also have your typical Chinese dishes for lunch and dinner.

Overall, definitely nicer and newer than HK Bistro and Silver Star but wished there were more carts being pushed around with more items to choose from. Maybe it is still too early to say but I think everyone should at least try it once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 PM

859 posts, read 3,626,110 times
Wow thanks for the lightening fast review!!

The pricing tier definitely seems to be set pretty high. But supplies does cost more here. (Been to great places that starts from $1.50...for the common dishes, so it burns to pay $3 for shui mai )

Do you remember what items counted as medium and large?

And how would you compare the quality and selection to HKB and SS?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Sorry, I didn't really watch which items were marked off as which but we ordered 5 items, 3 large, 1 medium and 1 small and with 2 diet cokes it came out to $30.

I thought quality was pretty authentic and in par with HK Bistro however I would have liked to see more in selection. Actually I noticed that the hostess use to be a waitress at HK Bistro =X hehehe

I also think that this is a great place to bring people who've never had dim sum as there is usually someone with the cart, explaining the name of each dish and what each item is made of.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM

so roughly $27 for 5 dim sum items...
I better watch what I'm ordering then
But must try it out at least once, can't get that picky in JAX.
Will report back when that happens.

Ever been to Orlando dim sum places?

Haha wonder which HKB girl jumped ship, they're all friendly waitresses.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,264,024 times
Thanks for the review. That's great to have a place for dim sum during the week! I'll have to try it out soon.

What is shui mai? At HK,we just try items without knowing their names.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Thanks for the review. That's great to have a place for dim sum during the week! I'll have to try it out soon.

What is shui mai? At HK,we just try items without knowing their names.
it's the open face pork dumpling in yellow wrapper.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:06 PM

541 posts, read 2,290,614 times
this is good news....this should be the headline on the front page of the Florida Times Union for tomorrow.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,532,928 times
Were there many vegetarian items (no meat)?

I've run into that problem before with Dim Sum, everything has meat in it.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:15 AM

236 posts, read 1,087,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Were there many vegetarian items (no meat)?

I've run into that problem before with Dim Sum, everything has meat in it.

But it's "leftover" meat. Think of it as recycling. Chicken feet, tripe and gizzards, oh my.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM

riveree - do you eat shrimp? There are plenty of dishes with just shrimp in it but if you don't then I can't really think of any other dishes that are vegetarian.... Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville