Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
But, that's a David Weekley home. I don't recall seeing Weekley building in Oakleaf. Just a bunch of national builders.
It is still very similar in design and materials to the homes Ive seen in Oakleaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 10,651 times
What a huge mess. Another major road into Oakleaf is closed due to culverts under the road failing. This is the second road closure in less than a year. Traffic is HORRIBLE. My 30 minute commute took me an hour and 20 minutes yesterday. The whole development is a mess. In the mornings, just getting the kids to school is a challenge. Traffic backs up for a mile just to get into the high school parking lot. Yesterday, there was a car full of teenagers that jumped the curb and drove their car down the sidewalk. I know teenagers do a lot of stupid things, but all these black kids are out of control. There seems to be a big fight almost every day in the park in front of the Oaks neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:38 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,163,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleaf32 View Post
I know teenagers do a lot of stupid things, but all these black kids are out of control.
Aaaaaand there's where you lose what little credibility you had.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Not looking to move there by any means but is Oakleaf that bad or is it just 1 guy trolling this stuff via different CD handles (all first time posters I might add)? I feel like I'm learning about this place from the eyes of one person.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,163,930 times
I would agree that it seems as if one person has created a few new accounts and is posting the same anti-Oakleaf messages. Although I *have* seen other accounts with more, ahem, street cred with similar messages about the area.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 AM

2,557 posts, read 6,458,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Not looking to move there by any means but is Oakleaf that bad or is it just 1 guy trolling this stuff via different CD handles (all first time posters I might add)? I feel like I'm learning about this place from the eyes of one person.
I manage 4 rentals over there. All are SFR-detached, 4BR houses. 3 of them are owned by the same investor, who purchased them brand new. The 4th is owned by a military service member, who transferred away. None of my tenants have ever reported any issues with crime or riff-raff. The HOA Mgmt co seems to be very active in reporting non-compliances. The rental market there, from my perspective, seems solid and stable. We've not experienced regular turnover at lease renewal time in any of those properties. That's just one indicator for me, which tells me that's a decent area.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 26,750 times
Default direct the HOA to SUE the developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleafknightrider View Post
I have been an Oakleaf home owner since 2005. Oakleaf was supposed to be a really great community. When we bought, we were told that there would be an upscale retail development....we basically got a big strip of cheap big box stores. We were told that there would be a library built in phase 1 with a grand lawn....we have an empty lot. We drove by signs that said there was a large office park coming....still no office jobs in Oakleaf. We were supposed to have a 24 hour fitness center in phase 1....they built one that isn't open 24 hours a day. We were shown are beautifully landscaped neighborhood park...it's no longer maintained and we have vandalism and people selling drugs there on a regular basis. We were shown pictures of more retail by the clock tower....all we got is a lot of parking lots, but only one building having a little used medical center. We had a nice Bealle's department store...it closed. We were supposed to get a Walmart in Oakleaf....the coming soon sign was taken down and Walmart built far down the new toll road and building another on Collins next to I-295. We had nice lighted neighborhood signs....they get graffitied on a regular bases and the lights are vandalized and not working. We were told we would have security at the amenity centers....we got the laziest security guards who just sit in their car and don't make their rounds like they are supposed to. Phase 1 was landscaped nicely with St Augustine grass along the main streets.....Phase 2 has no St Augustine grass, just weeds and seasonal rye grass. We were supposed to have quality homes....we got a lot of really cheap built homes here. Most stucco homes have huge cracks. We were told that Oakleaf was going to be a great family friendly development....we are getting lots of crime. We were told that they were building luxury condos...the luxury condos turned into section 8 apartments. Even with almost 30,000 people living in Oakleaf, there still is really only one church. Our ammentity center is being rented to people who don't live in Oakleaf. I was shocked to learn that they are letting people have some pretty ghetto dances there and those kids did a lot of damage. The club house at the golf course is now being used as a comedy club. We were supposed to have nice schools. The schools were overcrowded right from the start and now kids go to school in portable classroom trailers. We have tons of homes that are unoccupied now. We have homes owned by foreign investors who don't maintain homes. Homes are renting cheap and now we have lots of lower class people moving into Oakleaf. I live on a street with fifteen houses. We are the only house on the street with the original owner in it. All the others have changed ownership several times. When we moved in, there was only one black family on our street and everybody on our street owned their home. Now, only three of the homes have white families in them. The rest are black families. Only five of the families on are street own their home, the rest are now renters. The homes that were once very nice with well maintained lawns are now a big mess, and thanks to our communities management company not enforcing the rules and regulations, our neighborhood no longer looks nice.
The developer reaps the rewards from the hoa cdd fees. They developer should be held responsible!!!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Aaaaaand there's where you lose what little credibility you had.
That car load of teenagers that jumped the curb and drove down the sidewalk were all black kids. As for the fights in the park, it's always black kids and black kids gathering around and cheering when someone is getting beat up. These blacks kids in Oakleaf ARE totally out of control. They're animals. They get away with everything because if anybody tries to stop them, somehow it gets turned around that you're racist. Black kids learn this behavior from their parents and the media. The blacks are destroying Oakleaf. It's the reason why all the white families are moving out and running to St Johns County. It's such a shame. Oakleaf used to be such a nice community.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,446 times
I cant speak for the new poster anti oakleaf accounts, I can only speak from the indirect first hand experience that I have with the area. I have relative whose parents bought in the Dawsons Creek neighborhood in 2006. The house was almost $500k, the house across the street from them is currently for sale for $275k, comparable home. Whenever I go to visit them I am blown away by the area now compared to how it was just a couple of years ago.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,529 times
Hello my name is Susan and I live in The Oaks neighborhood in Oakleaf. There is a lot of truth to all the negative posts. I have live here since 2005 and I have personally experienced many of the same things that have been written on here.

Oakleaf's schools are a mess. First, what were they thinking building two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school all on about a one mile stretch on a two lane road? Having 3000+ students coming and going to school at the same time causes huge traffic back ups. Many mornings I can't even get out of my neighborhood because the traffic is so bad.

Oakleaf's schools are over crowded. I never understood why they build brand new schools and on the first day the school opens, kids are already going to school in portable classrooms. Our school's grades are going down. People once flocked to Oakleaf for our A+ schools, but now it seems people are leaving for St John's schools instead. Sadly, this may be the fix to our overcrowding problem.

Racial tension is extremely high. My two kids are now in high school and I could tell you so many stories about things that happen at school. You just wouldn't believe it. I'm not going to write a book on here though. I just wanted to tell you that I don't believe there is someone trolling on here making up these negative things. These things are a real problem.

My neighbhood, The Oaks, has really gone through a change. Lots of forclosures over the years have been bought by people who put little care into their properties. In the beginning, our neighborhood was made up of mostly white people. Now I would say there are more blacks than whites. There also seems to be a lot of people from the middle east living here. There is definatly a lot a lot of diversity in our neighborhood. I know some people think that's a good thing, but in our experience here, diversity has brought in more crime and seems people in several cultures don't put pride in the appearance of their homes at the top of their list of priorities. As a result of our neighborhood's decline, our property value has really suffered.

I'm disappoint that after all these years, there still is only one brick and mortar church, or in this case, a steal building, the same that farmers park their tractors and equipment in. There seems to be churches coming and going that meet in our schools and in our community club houses, but no physical churches except one baptist church.

The Oakleaf Town Center has kind of been a disappointment. Google the original plans for the Oakleaf Town Center and you will see it was supposed to be more like what the St Johns Town Center is now. There was supposed to be a Dillards, JCPenny, Barnes and Nobles, Wild Oats, Regal Cinema, Best Buy, JoAnn's, DSW, Dicks, Total Wine, and a lot more smaller retail bays, and even a boardwalk promenade with restaurants over looking a lake. The Oakleaf Town Center seems to be declining and they aren't keeping it up very nice. Just look at the retail centers sign. When you see letters falling off and the overgrown shrubs hiding half the signs, it just doesn't portrait a good image. There seems to be lots of trash in the parking lots. That's probably why all those big white birds are there are the time leaving gifts on our cars.

Last of all, there still aren't many jobs in Oakleaf. What ever happened to the planned office park that was in the original master plan? I am guessing that most people who live in Oakleaf commute out of Oakleaf for their jobs. You just can't afford the houses here working a retail or fast food job. We need to develop a office park here in Oakleaf and recruit some major employers. Nocatee, at least, is doing things better. I just read that they are building over 600,000 sq ft of office space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville