Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 103,398 times

Advertisements

OP-I just relocated here a month ago from Connecticut. I visited twice before making the decision and I have to say I was discouraged after each visit. The speeding and aggressive drivers, the urban sprawl and the homes I checked out were not what I was used to. I understand where you are coming from. But, I decided to make the move after carefully weighing my concerns and I love living here. I think I made a choice, in the end, to not have any expectations and to just take everything as it comes. I am fortunate that I am living in temporary corporate housing in Atlantic Beach for the next three months and I am loving every minute of it. Everyone is very friendly here and I have made some nice friends already. I walk my dog miles and miles each day, mostly on the beach, and everyone I meet on my walks greets me-even at 6 a.m. with a nice "good morning." I commute to downtown via Atlantic Blvd and find that the drivers don't drive as fast as on the expressway. Give it time and I think you will love Jacksonville! I will be looking to rent or buy in the beach area once my temporary housing is up as I just love the beaches! Take Care!

Last edited by canajo; 08-18-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabest View Post
After driving 16hrs from the north of upstate NY to Jax FL. I think I do fell regret some. But my guts tells me this was a mistake that you ever made. Why you have to take highways every time when you need something? Why drivers in jax are so unprofessionals? Another funny thing is: I was doing nothing and I told myself to drive to FSCJ at downtown. Why so many homeless are there across to the college? Aren't there any other places to let them stay? why it has to be next to a college?
I've moved a lot. After each move I've felt some bit of remorse. But stick it out for a year, that should give you a good idea if it was a good idea.

No matter where you go you'll feel other drivers stink. I'm sure other people think your driving habits are as bad as you think theirs are.

You'll learn to love highways. A main reason I want to come to Jacksonville is to be back to a city with a good freeway system. It's the thing I miss the most about living in Phoenix. The town I'm in now is all small streets loaded with traffic lights. 5 miles is 25 to 30 minutes. When i lived in Phoenix 25 miles was 15 to 30 minutes...

Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
OP I am so glad to see you're maintaining your sense of humor!

Give it a chance. If you don't like it and decide to move, at least you won't regret not giving it a try down the road in life.

Best of luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM

102 posts, read 185,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
OP I am so glad to see you're maintaining your sense of humor!

Give it a chance. If you don't like it and decide to move, at least you won't regret not giving it a try down the road in life.

Best of luck!
Thank you... I like Beach Blvd..

Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 7,326 times
You stated you moved from upstate NY and although you didn't specify why exactly, if it was to attend college or a change in relationship status or just looking for a new place to start over, if it was to attend college remember it is only 4 years and then you can move back - or decide to stay permanently. Being from NYC and having moved to FL the past decade, the pace in FL is much slower than any NY city, even upstate. That does not mean bad, it means, it is a different place and you can't expect to recreate everything you had back home, here. You will need time to adjust to the pace, lifestyle and people of FL. As Eric Boyd stated, it is one of the largest cities in the country and surely the largest in Florida but by that don't expect it to be like NY. Driving in FL can be exasperating, especially if you come from NY. We pride ourselves to be good drivers, and to an extent that is true, we may seem to drive aggressively to others but we know how to maneuver on the street, to keep the traffic flowing. I noticed in FL in general, younger drivers are not concerned with that, they want to get there fast and don't care how much they cut in front of people or the danger they are bringing on to themselves by doing certain things entail (FL gives a full license at 16 I think) and being in a college town you need to be patient, especially because there are kids from all over, not just locals. Lastly, you need to drive everywhere just as in upstate. Except here the roads are 1,000 times nicer, and instead of a winding road down a hill you get a highway... same thing if you ask me! Give it a try...I hope you like the beach, otherwise, then you are really in the wrong city.... and state! Good luck!

Last edited by nybaby40; 08-21-2015 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Some will like Jax, while others who move here won't. Nothing wrong with either. We came here in Jan '09 and have seen an increase in population, traffic and crime. We live in an apt. complex in Baymeadows, just north of the Avenues Mall off of Southside Blvd. We've seen some crime here, but don't hear gun shots or a police helicopter overhead every night. It's so quiet near our apt. in the middle of the night, that I could hear a penny drop on the driveway outside (if I was awake at that time LOL). Wife and I are in our mid 60's, so going out at night and partying just isn't what we do anymore. We have found out that we aren't "beach people" like we thought we'd be when we first moved here. We've had some fun since moving here, but.......

Just like some folks that end up moving away from Jax to somewhere else, after my wife retires, we will do the same. Believe it or not, go back to 4-seasons in eastern Colorado. When people are retired, ice/snow don't affect them as much as when working full-time jobs.

Jax is nice, just not for everyone.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,208 times
Hihi. I lasted 10 months. We have a great life here but I miss so much about NY that I can't imagine myself living here for another few years. NY is closet thing I get to feel I am back home in Europe.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybaby40 View Post
You stated you moved from upstate NY and although you didn't specify why exactly, if it was to attend college

I came here for a college. My major will be a dental hygiene. And I think I will never go back to NY because of the bad weather and F**ed up roads and income tax. Jax is becoming my favorite place to live in, because of hundreds of a variety stores and beach and the people...

Old 08-21-2015, 10:24 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
lol glad to hear things are looking up for you! good luck!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
lol glad to hear things are looking up for you! good luck!
Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville