Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,980 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from PA in less than a month and are unable to come down to visit the area before our big move. I have several questions and would appreciate any and all input.

The facts: We have 2 small children (under 5) and are looking to rent a home, in the $1350 price range. We would like something newer and something spacious, 3-4 bedroom, single family home. Looking for something built in the last 20 years.

My husband's work is off of San Jose Blvd, near Arrowhead. My initial thought was to stay close to his work to make his commute easier as I have heard horror stories about local traffic. We like the Mandarin and surrounding areas but it looks like our housing options are a bit limited.

Are there other areas you would recommend? We looked into Orange Park but have heard conflicting things about that area as well. Would St. Augustine be too much of a hike?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM

593 posts, read 667,425 times
St. Augustine would be a ridiculous commute to do 5 days a week honestly. I would expand your search into the baymeadows and gate area. $1350 is probably not going to be enough for a new home with that many bedrooms though in any of these areas.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM

36 posts, read 41,560 times
If you are flexible on the age of the home, you can find something in that area for that price range from the 80's. I would absolutely stay in Mandarin and avoid the commute. It's a nice part of town. I sent you a message.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 PM

375 posts, read 444,289 times
Orange Park is not an option because of the commute over The Buckman Bridge. Not something you want to get into.

Stay in Mandarin or the Town Center/ Baymeadows area.

Also farther north on San Jose toward the Jewish Community Alliance might be an option. Older houses but very well kept. Not sure about rents though.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,296 times
Hi:
I just went through this with my son who relocated in June. If you go to realtor dot com and put in 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and max rent of $1350.00 you will find 42 rentals, some condos, townhomes with garages and of course single family.
I do agree with other posts, southside and bay meadows are very convenient. My son liked the southside and town center area. Travelling east and west is real easy. He wanted to avoid the rail road tracks that run north south along I95.
He also wanted to go the opposite way of trafic.
We searched by zip codes, 32216 is southside, 32256 is around the town center 32217 is in the area of his work.
Good luck

Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 931 times
We moved to Jacksonville (Jax) from Ormond Beach/Daytona area about a year ago. We had moved from Portland, OR to Ormond Beach prior to our Jax move. However, we found the Daytona area to be too small townish for our tastes. We initially looked at new homes in Mandarin. Mandarin advantages include close to Organic food stores and areas to the south of town like St. Augustine, etc. Schools were not a consideration for us. We ended up in the Southside/Tinsel Town area off Touchton Rd. The attraction for us closeness to the St. Johns Towncenter (love hanging out there), Butler Blvd. for quick access to the beach, minutes too downtown, and pockets of new home communities being built . The Jax downtown area needs some improving in terms of accessibility and attractiveness, but I think the next 10 years will bring a lot of improvements there. As far as the St. Johns Town center, the growth there is AMAZING! Restaurants, Shopping, a new hotel, apartment complexes, etc. Coming from the west coast, homes are very affordable here and the cost of living is low. Also coming from Portland the weather here is great. Winters are short to almost non existent (so far). Being a lover of warm weather, the hot, humid summers were easy for me too adapt too.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM

318 posts, read 467,038 times
Suggest staying in Mandarin if you possibly can. Great shopping off of San Jose, and its just a great central area. zip code: 32223

We were not fans of the Baymeadows area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville