Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM

168 posts, read 308,070 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been considering a move to Charleston, SC but I've been recruited through LinkedIn, So Jacksonville is a realistic possibility now. How are the schools? What are the areas to stay away from? Is the housing really as affordable as it looks on Zillow? How much work is it to own a pool? Explain the gator situation...

We loved Charleston for the deeply rooted history and the antebellum style homes but Jacksonville sounds nice at first glance. I spent weeks pouring over info and we even vacationed there to scout out a move.

Does anyone NOT like Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
What's your budget? What size home are you looking for?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
There are plenty of people who don't like Jacksonville and a ton who absolutely love it here; just like anywhere else. There is quite a bit of history in the Jacksonville area, obviously St Augustine is the oldest city etc. Jacksonville doesn't play up history like Charleston. Coming from Charleston you won't be taken aback by how "Southern" it is. Climate is similar. Big military presence as well. Jacksonville is bigger city overall.

Lots of different areas from upscale beach town to "redneck" acre lots on a dirt road. Just a matter of where you will be working, budget, schools are generally better in the Suburban Counties( St Johns and Clay )

Old 10-06-2015, 12:09 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
Explain the gator situation...
There are thousands of Gators here, but probably the only ones you will see are football fans.
I've lived here for about 50 years and have only seen maybe 5 real gators in the wild in all that time.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:43 PM

168 posts, read 308,070 times
for a home budget we're probably going to stay above 100k and below 170k. we're ok with dated homes and fixer uppers to have a really affordable mortgage. after looking into Charlestons pricing, we cant believe how affordable Jacksonville homes are! our main rule is to be no further than 30 minutes from the ocean.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
for a home budget we're probably going to stay above 100k and below 170k. we're ok with dated homes and fixer uppers to have a really affordable mortgage. after looking into Charlestons pricing, we cant believe how affordable Jacksonville homes are! our main rule is to be no further than 30 minutes from the ocean.
Wow, well, not sure about that, hope you like dated fixer upper in a so-so area, or maybe a nice 3 bedroom condo or mid range townhouse.

You'll get over the ocean thing very quickly, I wouldn't base buying a home on that. No matter where you end up, you'll be close enough to get there as often as you like.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
If we're talking suburban style living, I've seen plenty of nice 3 bed homes (updated, spacious) in East Arlington. That would generally put you just 10 minutes or so from the beaches.

Of course, I'd consider neighborhood based on the other amenities you care about, as well as commute time to work.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Yes, there are some folks who DON'T like Jacksonville because of the traffic and the sprawl. If you don't mind that, you will probably like it.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 AM

593 posts, read 668,256 times
Pretty much anywhere in the city is within 30 min to the beaches. I would try to live closer to work than the beach since you commute to work 5 days a week and to the beach maybe twice. East Arlington, Riverside, and basically the entire Gate Parkway/Town Center area should give you plenty of options. Riverside is more "'urban" and the other 2 are just your basic everyday suburban areas. All are relatively safe and have a lot to offer.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 PM

65 posts, read 70,939 times
32224 and 32246 are zip codes that are probably going to appeal to you. Check them out and the areas and how close they are to downtown, Town Center, and the beaches. 170k is the median price of a 3/2 home in Jax. You should have no problem finding a nice house for you and your family.

Esri ZIP Code Lookup | Demographics and Lifestyle by ZIP Code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville